Les Aventures Extraordinaires d'Adèle Blanc-Sec

Stoo

Rocket Surgeon said:
Well you ARE within a mile of each other, so sure...but I hardly require sitting through the trailer again to appreciate HER feminine wiles.

Though the cigarette thing is a bit trashy, (understanding french births are liberally tar stained as they aquire the "taste" in utero).
The smoking isn't trashy but the way the cigarette dangles from her mouth in one of the photos, is very unbecoming for a lady. Leave that for Yves Montand or Jean Reno.

Thanks for the clips, Sab! It starts tonight at a local cinema. Will most likely be seeing it this weekend. (Would you believe there are 7 cinemas here and they're all within a 2 block radius of each other?:confused: Weird.) The blurb reads:

"In the year 1912, Adèle Blanc-Sec, intrepid young reporter, is ready for anything to achieve her aims, including sailing to Egypt and finding herself grappling with mummies of all kinds. Meanwhile in Paris, there's panic!

RedeemedChild

Okay, so the Tomb Raider movies were a real disappointment. Now here is this French Adele Blanc-sec.

Maybe it's the fact that I'm a young man but I still can't get over how cheesy it is to have a woman as an archeologist who engages in fighting villains and what not. Perhaps I'm to much of a Indiana Jones loyalist. Mind you, I'm not sexist as I like both Hillary Clinton and Sarah Palin believe it or not.

However, this project looks kinda interesting, nevertheless it, like Pan's Labyrinth contains some content that could have been filtered out or made a deleted scene, but still it's interesting and I'll keep an eye and ear out for it. It reminds a bit of The Golden Compass movie for some reason or another and last but not lest, the archeological protagonist reminds me of Kiera Knightly.

Seriously it is a bit cheesy to say the lest with that Mummy thing walking up that nicely dressed gentleman. And of all the things to have the protagonist RIDING the pterodactyl? Pleeasse give me a break.

Last edited:

Stoo

RedeemedChild said:
Okay, so the Tomb Raider movies were a real disappointment. Now here is this French Adele Blanc-sec.
Until Rocket started this thread I had never heard of the character before but she has been around since the early-mid '70s. You obviously didn't READ.
RedeemedChild said:
Maybe it's the fact that I'm a young man but I still can't get over how cheesy it is to have a woman as an archeologist who engages in fighting villains and what not. Perhaps I'm to much of a Indiana Jones loyalist. Mind you, I'm not sexist as I like both Hillary Clinton and Sarah Palin believe it or not.

Seriously it is a bit cheesy to say the lest with that Mummy thing walking up that nicely dressed gentleman. And of all the things to have the protagonist RIDING the pterodactyl? Pleeasse give me a break.
From someone who starts threads about dragons and "girlie" games...:rolleyes: Sarah Palin? Yes, I can believe that quite easily. The age rating for the film is: Legal 7 and Suggested: 10 so it should be safe for you to watch. There won't be any bare breasts or anything (but you never know, it is Europe)!

P.S. The blurb says it is 105 mins.

RedeemedChild

Stoo said:
Until Rocket started this thread I had never heard of the character before but she has been around since the early-mid '70s. You obviously didn't READ.
From someone who starts threads about dragons and "girlie" games...:rolleyes: Sarah Palin? Yes, I can believe that quite easily. The age rating for the film is: Legal 7 and Suggested: 10 so it should be safe for you to watch. There won't be any bare breasts or anything (but you never know, it is Europe)!

P.S. The blurb says it is 105 mins.

LOL. Stoo you're the best. BTW I did read the information. When I said "here comes" I was talking about the movie adaption, same with Tomb Raider, not the TR games and comics but rather the movies.

Don't you agree the protagonist looks like Kiera Knightley or at lest resembles her Stoo?

Montana Smith

Being a French film I suspect that bare breasts would be the very least we can expect. Hence her smoking in the bath pose above.

I'm a fan of female leads in action roles - Milla Jovovich, Kate Beckinsale, Charlize Theron, Uma Thurman, Sarah Michelle Gellar etc etc. Unless the Tomb Raider movies get a new and improved reboot, this is probably the best we can hope for in the line of female butt-kicking archaeologists. French movies are often stylish and novel if nothing else (thinking in terms of Betty Blue).

Le Saboteur

23447_396925546672_210599156672_4387123_7610500_n.jpg

Stoo said:
The smoking isn't trashy but the way the cigarette dangles from her mouth in one of the photos, is very unbecoming for a lady. Leave that for Yves Montand or Jean Reno.

I was thinking Jean Paul Belmondo or Roger Duschene. Still, the two of you are hung up on this rather silly convention; is it really that important? The fact that she's doing anything during the Belle Epoque aside from looking pretty should tell you that Mlle Blanc-sec is not your typical lady.

Stoo said:
Thanks for the clips, Sab! It starts tonight at a local cinema. Will most likely be seeing it this weekend. (Would you believe there are 7 cinemas here and they're all within a 2 block radius of each other?:confused: Weird.)

Glad to do what I can! And when you do see it, make sure to tell us how it was. Seven cinemas within a two-block radius is rather peculiar! However, they do seem to be rather close to each other across Europe. In my old neighborhood in Paris, there were 4 theatres within a couple of blocks. On the Place de Clichy, there were also a few very close together. If I remember correctly, there were eight different theatres on the Boulevard du Montparnasse!

Le Saboteur

RedeemedChild said:

Le Sigh. I had hoped that this thread would generate more interest, but not of the variety juvenalia. You'll note that Mlle Blanc-sec is a journalist, not an archeologist.

26868_393331641672_210599156672_4293654_7346639_n.jpg

Quit while you're ahead.

And since I can't update my last post, the French version of the official site is completely updated. No word on when the English version will be completed, but I imagine it'll happen as the film gains wider release.

4517231317_6176391b66.jpg

Last edited:

Montana Smith

Le Saboteur said:
Le Sigh. I had hoped that this thread would generate more interest, but not of the variety juvenalia. You'll note that Mlle Blanc-sec is a journalist, not an archeologist.

Le shock!

Not an archaeologist?

She still gets to kick butt, though, n'est pas?

French class text book juvenalia: Jean-Paul: "Marie-Claire! J'arrive! J'arrive!"

Last edited:

Lance Quazar

Le Saboteur said:

I, for one, am EXTREMELY interested in this thread and the movie it discusses. Hadn't heard about this film at all otherwise and it looks superb. I'm very grateful that the Raven has brought this to my attention.

That said, I do reserve the righter to titter lasciviously at any and all glimpses of female nudity (brief or otherwise) that this film may gloriously provide.

As for the rest, frankly, seeing a French woman NOT smoke in the early 20th Century would have been far less realistic to me than talking mummies and pterodactyls.

Montana Smith

Lance Quazar said:
I, for one, am EXTREMELY interested in this thread and the movie it discusses. Hadn't heard about this film at all otherwise and it looks superb. I'm very grateful that the Raven has brought this to my attention.

Very true. Seeing this thread title on the Film board gave me no clues as to what this one would be about. If I had to guess, I'd have suspected it was a cartoon.

As it is, it looks pretty good.

Lance Quazar said:
That said, I do reserve the righter to titter lasciviously at any and all glimpses of female nudity (brief or otherwise) that this film may gloriously provide.

Very true once more.

[snigger] he said "nudity" [snigger] (!)

Lance Quazar said:
As for the rest, frankly, seeing a French woman NOT smoke in the early 20th Century would have been far less realistic to me than talking mummies and pterodactyls.

Accurate social history, especially in France. I don't know if the French now have a 'no-smoking in public places' law, as they do here in the UK, which would prevent her from smoking real cigarettes on set. In which case they'd have to go the Peter Jackson King Kong route of CGI cigarette smoke, since the law applies in New Zealand. (Even if the law applied in France, though, I doubt anybody would take notice, including the police and the judges!)

Stoo

Lance Quazar said:
Well, Lance, you're in luck. Adèle is shown in the buff which means it's off-limits to R.Child. Can you believe it? Legal viewing age of 7 and it contains nudity.:eek: That would never fly in North America.

I was going to post this stuff below the other day but never got around to it (just finished seeing the movie about 2 hrs. ago;)):
Le Saboteur said:
I was thinking Jean Paul Belmondo or Roger Duschene. Still, the two of you are hung up on this rather silly convention; is it really that important? The fact that she's doing anything during the Belle Epoque aside from looking pretty should tell you that Mlle Blanc-sec is not your typical lady.
Being a smoker, I?m not hung up on it at all. I like women who smoke just as long as they don?t do it like a truck driver. You?re right, though, for a female of ?The Gilded Age?, she is obviously not your average lady. The photos are her on the camel also remind me of the famous, Gertrude Bell.
Le Saboteur said:
Like I said, he/it/Todd/numbnuts didn?t read. Anyway, I believe he was trolling since he wrote that a female archaeologist fighting villains is cheesy but was asking about similar films in another thread. (Not to mention nowhere in the trailers does it show her "fighting" anybody!:rolleyes:) Who describes themselves as an ?Indiana Jones loyalist? and doesn?t even own the DVDs? Answer = Redeemed Child.

The website looks fantastic but will peruse it fully AFTER I see the movie, which will probably be tomorrow. I passed by the cinema the other day and it had huge poster and lobby cards everywhere. One of the photos was one I hadn?t seen yet and it was of a man holding up a newspaper. The headline was a play on the lyrics of the children?s song, ?Sur le Pont d?Avignon?. It read, ?Sur le Pont, On y Danse, On y Meurt!? (On the Bridge, There We Dance, There We Die!)

Lance Quazar

Stoo said:
Well, Lance, you're in luck. Adèle is shown in the buff which means it's off-limits to R.Child. Can you believe it? Legal viewing age of 7 and it contains nudity.:eek: That would never fly in North America.

Wonderful news!! That's because we're all a bunch of repressed, closed-minded puritanical zealots. Bring on the nudity!

Have you seen the film yet? Reactions??

Stoo

Lance Quazar said:
Wonderful news!! That's because we're all a bunch of repressed, closed-minded puritanical zealots. Bring on the nudity!
The States more so than Canada (don't know about Mexico) but that's a whole other can o' worms. Call me a naive/ignorant North American but, considering the age rating, I really didn't think there was going to be any nudity at all.:eek:

Yes, I saw it last night and the production was sumptuous but the story was...umm...disjointed.:(
Rocket Surgeon said:
The trailer seems to be giving up a lot, let's hope we haven't seen it all already.
No, my friend, you haven't. About halfway through, there is a 90 degree turn (maybe 45 degrees). It seem like it was fashioned from 2 seperate stories rammed together.

Stoo said:
Yes, I saw it last night and the production was sumptuous but the story was...umm...disjointed.:(
No, my friend, you haven't. About halfway through, there is a 90 degree turn (maybe 45 degrees). It seem like it was fashioned from 2 seperate stories rammed together.

Any more skin then we've already been treated to?:eek:

Was it as crazy a tangent as Dusk till Dawn?

Smoking isn't such a turn off, as long as it's not an ash tray I'm kissing, (though those days are over as the Mrs. does NOT smoke).

She must LOVE the occasional Cigar I indulge in!:p

Montana Smith

Stoo said:
The States more so than Canada (don't know about Mexico) but that's a whole other can o' worms. Call me a naive/ignorant North American but, considering the age rating, I really didn't think there was going to be any nudity at all.:eek:

They used to show quite a few 'Film Board of Canada' (?) movies on British TV. I'd say they were more French flavoured than North American, as they were often pretty odd... which would explain why Les Adventures was disjointed.

French films can succumb to style over substance. Too clever for their own good.

What they lack in substance, they often make up for with nudity. :cool:

Rocket Surgeon said:
Any more skin then we've already been treated to?

I second this query, purely on the grounds of research, you understand. ;)

Stoo

Rocket Surgeon said:
She must LOVE the occasional Cigar I indulge in!:p
"Tell the public I don't smoke cigars" - Bonnie Parker

Jeez, you guys are insatiable!:p Yes, you see her boobs and one of her butt cheeks during the bath scene. She removes her top, then you see her in the bathtub smoking a ciggie, a plot device is revealed and she gets out of the tub. Louise Bourgoin is a cutie (and has 2 perfectly placed moles/beauty marks on her face) but she spoke so fast (lightning speed) that it was difficult to understand what she was saying at times. I would like to see a subtitled version.

The ultimate storyline is NOT what the marketing seems to suggest!(n) It's still worth seeing, though. (Note: Stick around during the end credits because they include another scene!)

Le Saboteur

26237_399785716672_210599156672_4453681_3568422_n.jpg

Stoo said:

Probably because it was. Hopefully it's just "lost in translation," but it sounds like Msr. Besson forgot to write a proper bridge since this picture was put together from (I think) the first two books in the series. If it is indeed disjointed, let's hope that they improve upon it in the second picture.

26237_399786931672_210599156672_4453712_5377502_n.jpg

I wrote a guy over at Europa Corp a week or so ago regarding a North American release, but he hasn't gotten back to me yet. As soon as he does, I'll let you know if and when the movie will be released here.

29069_401639751672_210599156672_4498755_5834522_n.jpg

Stoo said:
Yes, you see her boobs and one of her butt cheeks during the bath scene. She removes her top, then you see her in the bathtub smoking a ciggie, a plot device is revealed and she gets out of the tub.

They need to watch more Continental movies, maybe television. It's a fairly common occurrence. While I don't remember the exact shows, there's been plenty of frontal nudity on both Spanish & French television from both sexes.

Stoo said:
...she spoke so fast (lightning speed) that it was difficult to understand what she was saying at times. I would like to see a subtitled version.

You and me both, Stoo. I had to rewind the trailer every so often just to make sure I was hearing her properly. Like Brotherhood of the Wolves, I hope they port over the French DVD direct to Region 1 for the Quebecois. I'll pick that up.

Stoo

Le Saboteur said:
Probably because it was. Hopefully it's just "lost in translation," but it sounds like Msr. Besson forgot to write a proper bridge since this picture was put together from (I think) the first two books in the series. If it is indeed disjointed, let's hope that they improve upon it in the second picture.
To be fair, the beginning ties into the end but the actual MAIN story has nothing to do with a flying reptile. After the first half is over the film stops cold and switches into different gear. (There's something unusual which she keeps in her apartment. Adèle is one freaky chick!:eek:)

How many Blanc-Sec stories have you read, Sab? The bottom photo you posted is a nice one and from my favourite part of the film.
Le Saboteur said:
I wrote a guy over at Europa Corp a week or so ago regarding a North American release, but he hasn't gotten back to me yet. As soon as he does, I'll let you know if and when the movie will be released here.
It would be nice if it got a N.American release. Some people might like it since it is enjoyable to watch, looks GREAT and Adèle has crazy, Indy-type of escape at one point!:gun:
Le Saboteur said:
They need to watch more Continental movies, maybe television. It's a fairly common occurrence. While I don't remember the exact shows, there's been plenty of frontal nudity on both Spanish & French television from both sexes.
On German TV, too, perhaps?:confused: Is there nudity in the Tardi comics? The bathtub scene isn't sensualized but could be considered gratuitous since it does nothing to move the story along except create a mood. Anyway, it's basically just her in the smokin' a ciggie in the bath...
Le Saboteur said:
You and me both, Stoo. I had to rewind the trailer every so often just to make sure I was hearing her properly. Like Brotherhood of the Wolves, I hope they port over the French DVD direct to Region 1 for the Quebecois. I'll pick that up.
I actually like the way she speaks and love the part where she's trying to get the camel to move. She's feisty! It's still playing at the theatres here. A region 1 release for Quebec might be likely. If you're ever in Montreal, go to the video store, La Boite Noire. It's a film-lover's paradise!(y)

Le Saboteur

d41d8c6d8a6218c2e396ea53f59e37fa.jpg

Stoo said:
(There's something unusual which she keeps in her apartment. Adèle is one freaky chick!

(y)

Stoo said:
How many Blanc-Sec stories have you read, Sab? The bottom photo you posted is a nice one and from my favourite part of the film.

I have the first four. I went through a phase of scooping up as many BD's as I could fit in my luggage.

Stoo said:
It would be nice if it got a N.American release. Some people might like it since it is enjoyable to watch, looks GREAT and Adèle has crazy, Indy-type of escape at one point!:gun:

It would definitely be nice if it was released here. Aside from being French, it appears to have all the hallmarks of a summer release. Even if they "have" to dub it, it would be nice to have it released here. And surely the potential for increased profit can't hurt

Stoo said:
Is there nudity in the Tardi comics? The bathtub scene isn't sensualized but could be considered gratuitous since it does nothing to move the story along except create a mood.

Yes. Nearly every BD I own has a measure of nudity in it. Unfortunately, I only have my Corto books here, so I can't reference the Tardi stuff directly. But the bath tube scene does sound familiar. I chalk it up to "realism". Granted, it could be considered gratuitous, but it has always bothered me (in American releases) when a woman gets out of the tub/shower and just happens to cover her breasts with the combination of her arm and hand. It's almost as annoying when they wake up in the morning and hold the sheet just so as they roll over.

Eh, but maybe my virtue's too spoiled. :rolleyes:

Stoo said:
I actually like the way she speaks and love the part where she's trying to get the camel to move. She's feisty!

I agree! From the clip I saw, it was funny! Thanks for the heads up on the video store, and one day I will make it to Montreal.

adele-blanc-sec-2010-16534-107266843.jpg

(Lance & Rocket catch their first glimpse of a breast.)

Note: Please be aware that the next image link may contain a plot spoiler.

I also found this yesterday. I haven't been able to confirm whether or not the image is bonafide cover art yet, but it appears that a newly translated hardcover will be released in the States come June! Check out the sneak peak at Previews!

Last edited:

Stoo

Le Saboteur said:
It would definitely be nice if it was released here. Aside from being French, it appears to have all the hallmarks of a summer release. Even if they "have" to dub it, it would be nice to have it released here. And surely the potential for increased profit can't hurt.
If it's any indication, the film is no longer playing at my local cinema. However, it's still screening in a nearby town but I think it's run is almost done. North American summer release? Hard to tell...