About Sallah.

Matt deMille

Stoo, what is your obsession with me? The seeming need to insult me at every opportunity seems to be a figment of your insanity, or some sort of anger that I've hurt your little ego. I'm sorry, but you're not my type. You'll have to obsess over someone else.

And by the way, I've READ those pages. Your assumption that you're always right is a figment of YOUR imagination.

I mean, there's so many possibilities: Maybe it was a hoax or fan-script I read (difficult to tell these days). Or, maybe I'm right and you're wrong. Or maybe I read daily rewrites that simply weren't shot, a change to the scene considered but not filmed. So many possibilities, but Stoo just has to insist that I'm making things up. That's Stoos's default: I'm wrong. No objectivity whatsoever. And you wonder, Stoo, why I don't answer your questions anymore?

Last edited:

Matt deMille

DiscoLad said:
Dude. Unload...:gun: :dead:

Talk about Smoked Stoo....

In all honesty, I wish I didn't have to say anything. I wish Stoo would just leave me be. I don't come into *his* posts and stir things up. Several times I've offered truce, or to just look the other way, but he never leaves it alone.

Stoo, for real, just let it go. We're never going to agree. When we cross paths, just say you don't agree. That's all I do. There's no need for the sarcasm, insults or other silly behavior.

Stoo

Matt deMille said:
I mean, there's so many possibilities: Maybe it was a hoax or fan-script I read (difficult to tell these days). Or, maybe I'm right and you're wrong. Or maybe I read daily rewrites that simply weren't shot, a change to the scene considered but not filmed. So many possibilities, but Stoo just has to insist that I'm making things up. That's Stoos's default: I'm wrong. No objectivity whatsoever. And you wonder, Stoo, why I don't answer your questions anymore?
Maybe this, maybe that...Dodging the issue once again. You still have never DIRECTLY answered any of your fraudulent claims.

Instead of having another hissy-fit, why don't you actually give some details about this alleged script? (I'm sure many fans would be much more interested in that than reading your hot air about ignoring people.)
Matt deMille said:
I imagine that's what the scene would ultimately have been. If it changed, then it changed because Spielberg had a change of mind or heart.
What do you mean by "if it changed"? Since you've read these supposed pages, there should be no "if". You also talk about how you IMAGINE what the scene would've ultimately been...

Lucas was the story guy, not Spielberg. Yes, Steven had input but you're confusing things. That said, you believe that Spielberg made a decision to save Sallah based on a modern hoax or a fan-script?

We share information at The Raven so...WHEN & WHERE did you read a script with Sallah being killed during the execution scene?:confused: Stop being evasive and get to the point.:whip:

Lastly, you say you've "READ those pages." but you're also an expert on a pirate character whose name you can't spell nor even talk about, have been inside a pyramid which you can't name and (on multiple occasions) have looked into the eyes of extra-terrestrials who followed you around when you were a child.:eek:

Montana Smith

Here's a succinct explanation of what happened on set, from this very site:

http://www.theraider.net/films/raiders/deleted_scenes.php

Sallah's execution

With Indy and Marion left to suffocate in the Well of the Souls the Germans decide that Sallah should be executed. A young German soldier was supposed to carry out the dirty job but things changed when the later started having second thoughts. A German youth vacationing in Tunisia had been hired for the part of the young soldier. The funny thing is that this inexperienced young man managed to express brilliantly the moral dilemma of a young soldier forced to decide whether or not to kill a harmless stranger; this is the business of foreign wars, and this unknown German boy was able to convey it as well as any actor.

The result was beyond description, with this German student playing an intensely moving and emotional scene, making David Wisniewitz and Karen Allen call it the greatest moment since the film began. Spielberg said the bitter truth was that brilliant and memorable though the scene was, it would probably end up on the cutting-room floor because it was just too long. So it did.

I'm not aware of any inention to have Sallah actually killed. I checked through the 1978 Story Conference, where Sallah is referred to as the "digger", and it's definitely not in there. A brief search of the net combining terms with "executed" turned up no references to the idea.

DiscoLad

Stoo said:
Lastly, you say you've "READ those pages." but you're also an expert on a pirate character whose name you can't spell nor even talk about, have been inside a pyramid which you can't name and (on multiple occasions) have looked into the eyes of extra-terrestrials who followed you around when you were a child.:eek:

Give him a break bro. He obviously does not want to argue.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
DiscoLad said:

Agreed...however, it must also be said: the script and every thing said about the filming are fairly unambiguous with regards to the fact that Sallah's execution was never intended to be carried out in the film.

Sharkey

DiscoLad said:
Give it a rest Boogieboy and Hustle your jive someplace else. You come on an Indiana Jones message board and infer something no one here has ever heard you're going to get questions. Go figure, Van Dannikken sees things that aren't there...Stoo asked a respectful question, you on the other hand ask for peace after fueling the flames with your "smoked stoo" post. Give him a break Stoo obviously doesn't want to argue.

DiscoLad

"Give it a rest Boogieboy and Hustle your jive someplace else." -Sharkey
You should see the look on my face after reading that first sentence.(y)

Look, all Im saying is he shouldn't be so rough.
I got the answer to my question early on in this thread and the thread has taken a turn since then. And it isn't a question no ones heard of, It's right there in the Bonus DVD for anyone to see. I just came back to find people treating each other the way they were and put my two cents in. Im not looking for trouble, just commenting.
So... Yeah. :cool:

As for deMille,
Anytime, Broski.:hat:

Stoo

DiscoLad said:
On the contrary: deMille does not want to ANSWER. On page 1, when respectfully asked about the alleged script, he gave no reply...

Disco, since you've been absent for awhile, you probably don't realize that deMille has a history of avoiding inquiries regarding his doubtful claims and does not like to be probed. If this guy actually answered questions instead of getting upset all the time, there wouldn't be any flak.
DiscoLad said:
I got the answer to my question early on in this thread and the thread has taken a turn since then. And it isn't a question no ones heard of, It's right there in the Bonus DVD for anyone to see. I just came back to find people treating each other the way they were and put my two cents in. Im not looking for trouble, just commenting.
Sharkey wasn't referring to your original question. He was talking about deMille's claim of reading a script which no one else has ever heard of. (Also, Disco, re-read your own post #22 and then tell me you're "not looking for trouble, just commenting".:gun:)
Attila the Professor said:
Agreed...however, it must also be said: the script and every thing said about the filming are fairly unambiguous with regards to the fact that Sallah's execution was never intended to be carried out in the film.
Which means someone around here is making things up.:rolleyes:
Matt deMille said:
Stoo, for real, just let it go. We're never going to agree. When we cross paths, just say you don't agree. That's all I do. There's no need for the sarcasm, insults or other silly behavior.
There is nothing to agree/disagree about here. You wrote, "the script said Sallah was killed", and that you've personally read these pages. WHEN & HOW did you see this supposed script? A large collection of Raveners are interested in early draughts so (for the sake of all those fans), please answer the question.

Instead of endlessly whining, 'fess up to your claims and you won't be ridiculed. It's really that simple.

Montana Smith

Rocket Surgeon said:
You and your overgrown sense of justice...:p

"If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire... The A-Team."

family_guy_a-team.jpg

:p

Stoo said:
Which means someone around here is making things up.:rolleyes:
I get the feeling it's more like imagining things, maybe misreading, but I have to agree: leaving the questions hanging is going to illicit more questions and frustration.

So is it ego or pride that prohibits Matt from simply saying "I don't know." What is the warped fascination with making excuses and frequenting the "possibility well?"

Just say it's an impression, mistaken or not...case closed.

When he writes things like:
I think the reason his execution scene was cut was because Spielberg knew that'd be too much of a downer because he's just so cool of a character.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but he says he thinks the scene was cut is clearly an opinion, but he goes on to say it's too much of a downer...that "Sallah was too cool a character" implies Matt knows Sallah was KILLED in the deleted scene.

Matt could simply say: "I thought I read something to the effect that ___________" fill in the blank. That's easy enough, no harm no foul. But he persists in his obstinacy citing "possibilities" yet ignores the 800lb question in the room: "how do you know?"

So, we're different from him. Even we disagree on valid sources, (found a great one on Stop-Motion at ILM in 1984!), but we're part of the community here and we're going to ask questions. There's one, (or two) character(s) here who come(s) out of the gate guns blazing, but I don't think either of us do that.

Hey, I understand his posts are all opinions, stream of consciousness or inspired, and that he's probably more of an alien fan than an Indy fan...but we had to walk down his garden path to discover it...

Montana Smith

Rocket Surgeon said:
Hey, I understand his posts are all opinions, stream of consciousness or inspired, and that he's probably more of an alien fan than an Indy fan...but we had to walk down his garden path to discover it...

Sometimes I wonder if we walked all the way down that path, we might find RC's trailer at the end of it...

Matt deMille

No, guys, I will be ridiculed no matter what I say or do, because you and your little Clique will never backstep or say "I don't know" yourselves. Funny how you repeatedly accuse me of something you are far more guilty of yourselves. As has been said countless times, I've admitted being wrong, apologized, etc but you guys never do. Your lack of such objectivity just screams of smug arrogance as well as hypocrisy, because NOBODY is flawless. That you have not ever even conceded the possibility of being wrong just shows that the problem is not me, but you.

Oh, and I *do* answer things. Just because you don't happen to like the answer, or can't wrap your head around it, does not mean I was unwilling to answer. It simply means I was unwilling to provide an answer that conveniently fit into your little box-like view of things. Maybe if you opened up your minds or let your egos rest a little, you would find the things I talk about make perfect sense and the answers are indeed there.

The Drifter

Montana Smith said:
Sometimes I wonder if we walked all the way down that path, we might find RC's trailer at the end of it...

Maybe Matt is Indywolf back from the dead? *shrugs* Or, RC's alter-ego?

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Matt deMille said:
No, guys, I will be ridiculed no matter what I say or do, because you and your little Clique will never backstep or say "I don't know" yourselves. Funny how you repeatedly accuse me of something you are far more guilty of yourselves. As has been said countless times, I've admitted being wrong, apologized, etc but you guys never do. Your lack of such objectivity just screams of smug arrogance as well as hypocrisy, because NOBODY is flawless. That you have not ever even conceded the possibility of being wrong just shows that the problem is not me, but you.

Oh, and I *do* answer things. Just because you don't happen to like the answer, or can't wrap your head around it, does not mean I was unwilling to answer. It simply means I was unwilling to provide an answer that conveniently fit into your little box-like view of things. Maybe if you opened up your minds or let your egos rest a little, you would find the things I talk about make perfect sense and the answers are indeed there.

So: any idea where you heard about Sallah dying?