The X-Files

RelicHunter

Jose Chung said:
Remember people not every episode was about aliens.

Thank You! Not to mention if this movie meets its budget we will more than likely go back to the Alien conspiracy in 2012. Which would be awesome! In general I was glad to see X-files back.

The Man

RelicHunter said:
Thank You! Not to mention if this movie meets its budget we will more than likely go back to the Alien conspiracy in 2012. Which would be awesome! In general I was glad to see X-files back.

What is this 2012 project? Is that year significant in the TV show's plot?

RelicHunter

The Man said:
What is this 2012 project? Is that year significant in the TV show's plot?

It is of course the year the Mayan calander ends. Some believe a prediction to some life changing event. The show explained it (putting it simply) the year that the alien invasion would take place.

Nurhachi1991

Jose Chung said:
Remember people not every episode was about aliens.

No but a good chunk of them were and this was a movie not an episode so please forgive me for wanting to see an alien or a ufo.

Arab Swordsman

Nurhachi1991 said:
No but a good chunk of them were and this was a movie not an episode so please forgive me for wanting to see an alien or a ufo.

Actually, most were not. They did about 8 mythology episodes in each 22 episode season. The majority of the episdoes were stand alones and this movie was a perfect junction point from the end of the series to the (hopefully) final movie that wraps up the alien mythology.

I want the movie that wraps up the series to be a non-stop ride for 2 hours. You couldn't have the "what were Mulder and Scully doing for 6 years" questions put into that movie and have enough time to do the story justice. This movie was a good stand alone story that sets up the next one while bridging the gap and telling a good story.

Besides, you can't do every X-Files story about aliens. The show was much more than that if you do the alien thing all the time people get sick of it. I would rather had this story be a stand alone and have the next one deal with the invasion in 2012.

RelicHunter

Nurhachi1991 said:

No reason to get defensive man. Arab swordsman is right. The conspiracy was in the minority. And the 2012 project looks like it will probably be greenlit (hoping). For me as a fan I enjoyed the movie as a stand alone, but like most the alien conspiracy episodes were my favorites. Like I have said before I am just glad the X-Files is back. And look forward to another movie.:)

Jose Chung

The X-Files will make back it's production cost this weekend and it will finally profit. They should not have sandwiched this movie inbetween The Dark Knight and The Mummy. It would have been way more profitable in October or near Halloween. I'm glad The X-Files are back and I can't wait for a 2012/colonization movie.

Nurhachi1991

Arab Swordsman said:
Actually, most were not. They did about 8 mythology episodes in each 22 episode season. The majority of the episdoes were stand alones and this movie was a perfect junction point from the end of the series to the (hopefully) final movie that wraps up the alien mythology.

I want the movie that wraps up the series to be a non-stop ride for 2 hours. You couldn't have the "what were Mulder and Scully doing for 6 years" questions put into that movie and have enough time to do the story justice. This movie was a good stand alone story that sets up the next one while bridging the gap and telling a good story.

Besides, you can't do every X-Files story about aliens. The show was much more than that if you do the alien thing all the time people get sick of it. I would rather had this story be a stand alone and have the next one deal with the invasion in 2012.

Did they do an episode on Bigfoot? I could of sworn they did.

Jose Chung

Nurhachi1991 said:
Haha I kept thinking they did but I guess I dreamed it. I know they did one on the Jersey Devil though that was a good one.

They did have
Jersey Devil in Jersey Devil
Lochness Monster in Quagmire
Vampires (and other blood suckers) in 3, Bad Blood, El Mundo Gira (Chupacabra)
Frankenstein in The Post-Modern Prometheus
A(rtificial) I(ntelligence) in Ghost in the Machine, Kill Switch, First Person Shooter
Voodoo in Fresh Bones, Theef

Many other genres in XF but these are the most well-known.

Grizzlor

I saw the movie yesterday. It was good, had me guessing, and David and Gillian barely looked almost the same as 10 years ago. They were terrific. Skinner's return was cool, he finally got to push people around without being beat up or poisoned. Billy Connelly was great, though I am biased because I am a gigantic fan of the Big Yin. I thought the story was kind of dull, and I swore they did it before on the show. It wasn't a blockbuster movie, it was simply a movie, which is refreshing. I didn't care for the perceived mutilation of dogs, even nasty ones. But this was probably one of the best returns of a franchise after a long absence. Really didn't miss a beat. Unfortunately, the box office numbers were horrible, thanks to Batman. Geez, give some other movies a chance you freaks! I'm not confident we'll see The X-Files again.

Jose Chung

Jose Chung said:
$39 million so far in it's second weekend.
$35 million production budget total, I think this includes trailers, TV spots and internet stuff. Since FOX did not do anything to promote this movie.

http://www.the-numbers.com/movies/2008/XFIL2.php

My guess, if it makes close to $60 million in the theatres when it's all said and done, look forward to XF3.

Update on XF:IWTB

Total US Gross $20,837,515
International Gross $40,700,000
Worldwide Gross $61,537,515

With a huge market in Japan, it looks like XF could break even in the theatres (~$72.5 mil) before the release of DVD's. All of this even after being placed the week after TDK, which was suicide.

http://www.the-numbers.com/movies/2008/XFIL2.php

phantom train

I saw "X-files 2" in the theatre a while back. Despite the negative reviews (by both fans and critics) I really enjoyed the film. Very suspenseful,
well-done story and much better than a lot of the episodes in the 5th and
6th seasons of the show.
Though I didn't like it as much as the first film in 1998, I enjoyed the fact that it had a horror theme instead of a sci-fi theme, thereby making it different from the majority of the show's themes/episodes.

As others have said, I think it would have done better in the theatre if it hadn't been up against TDK (and other summer blockbusters). It may have been a better idea to release this in the Spring or Fall, before (or after) the big summer films.
Another reason it probably didn't do better with the general public was the fact that the show has been off the air since 2002.

All that being said, hopefully it did well enough to justify an "X-files 3" at some point.

The Man

http://www.play.com/DVD/Blu-ray/4-/6703510/The-X-Files-2-I-Want-To-Believe/Product.html

6703510x.jpg