5% favor KotCS in moviefone.com poll

The Man

http://www.moviefone.com/insidemovies/2008/09/03/summer-movies-poll-2008-the-results/

http://www.canada.com/topics/entert....html?id=ba342954-6cc4-4cb7-87b9-e97b78e45625

"'Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull' had all the hype going into the summer but when people saw 'The Dark Knight', they really responded in 'Titanic'-like proportions," said Moviefone editor Scott Robson.

"Indiana Jones" -- the much-anticipated fourth movie in the lucrative franchise -- got ONLY FIVE PERCENT of votes for best movie in the Moviefone end of summer movie poll. The poll got a total of 646,917 online votes.

Discuss...

The Man

Even more tellingly, in the 'Best Action Sequence' category, the jungle chase - the key chase scene of Skull - wasn't even considered. Instead, they voted on the fridge-escape. And that got five percent.

TheMutt92

The Man said:
Even more tellingly, in the 'Best Action Sequence' category, the jungle chase - the key chase scene of Skull - wasn't even considered. Instead, they voted on the fridge-escape. And that got five percent.

Well, therein lies the problem my friend. Why would people vote for the moment that made the film notorious?

The Man

TheMutt92 said:
Well, therein lies the problem my friend. Why would people vote for the moment that made the film notorious?

Why do they have to consider voting on that scene at all? Nothing else action-wise in the film merited consideration?

Darth Vile

The Man said:

I'm not sure that poll can be considered seriously at all ("Sexiest Babe catergories"???)... Whilst I wouldn't expect KOTCS to outscore TDK on any pollster front (as TDK is clearly the fashionable movie of the moment), I don't think it's in any way indicative, or a gauge of, the quality of the other movies. What it does tell me though, is that a relatively intelligent popcorn flick like TDK, did manage to appeal to that mindless section of the public who view and register votes on 'Moviefone'. That's to be applauded ;)

The Man

Darth Vile said:
I'm not sure that poll can be considered seriously at all ("Sexiest babe catergories"???)... Whilst I wouldn't expect KOTCS to outscore TDK on any pollster front (as TDK is clearly the fashionable movie of the moment), I don't think it's in any way indicative, or a gauge of, the quality of the other movies. What it does tell me though, is that a relatively intelligent popcorn flick like TDK did actually appeal to that mindless section of the public who view and register votes on 'Moviefone'. That's to be applauded ;)

So even many less-intelligent people weren't conned by Indy 4? Good observation, Darth...(y)

Darth Vile

The Man said:
So even many less-intelligent people weren't conned by Indy 4? Good observation, Darth...(y)

It's the sample I question... regardless of the scores on the doors. It's like asking viewers of 'Pop Idol'/'American Idol' to vote for the best band/record of all time, and putting some credence in the result.

Darth Vile said:
It's the sample I question... regardless of the scores on the doors. It's like asking viewers of 'Pop Idol'/'American Idol' to vote for the best band/record of all time, and putting some credence in the result.

Not the same at all. This is a succinct and finite list they were given to choose from.

Forbidden Eye

Ya know why they call it "Moviefone"? Because the majority of people voting are just a moronic demographic who have literally no value in life to the point they just use their ****ing cell-phone everywhere 24/7. Even to the point they're texting during the movie at a theatre. I'll look elsewhere for opinions on movies thank you very much.

Putting who voted for it aside, there are many flaws with that list. The "Best Action Sequence" this year was a tired "super-hero jumps off a skyscraper scene"?

Last edited:

InVader

Batman was admittedly well filmed and thought out. However, I didn't come out of it nearly as happy as with Indy. Indy was the funner movie of the summer in my opinion.

No Ticket

Forbidden Eye said:
Ya know why they call it "Moviefone"? Because the majority of people voting are just a moronic demographic who have literally no value in life to the point they just use their ****ing cell-phone everywhere 24/7. Even to the point they're texting during the movie at a theatre. I'll look elsewhere for opinions on movies thank you very much.

Putting who voted for it aside, there are many flaws with that list. The "Best Action Sequence" this year was a tired "super-hero jumps off a skyscraper scene"?

I would imagine it was the entire sequence of him grabbing the guy, blowing the windows out and getting pulled out by a plane flying by... not just him gliding off the building.

The fridge scene I'm sure counts more than just the part where he lands on the ground in the fridge.

I'm appalled that you guys are discrediting this list just because it's on moviefone. I voted on the list and I voted for TDK for most of the categories... just like everybody else because it's just the truth that Heath Ledger was the best villain of the summer. Which is why he got 95%. I mean yeah, opinions differ, but most people agree on this.

I was surprised Ford wasn't listed in the "leading man" category. I would have voted for him over Bale, who I think didn't give the better performance even if TDK is a better movie.

Just cuz you don't like the results is no reason to discredit the poll as being voted on by idiots. Which shows just how much reasoning and intelligence you've put into such an assumption. I mean, to just say, "Probably just a bunch of idiots who play with their cell phones."

I voted for it online... and it is just a little poll. Who cares? They really didn't put Indy in hardly any categories to begin with and obviously TDK was one of the best movies of the summer.

Way of the dodo

Dark Knight is the better and more popular movie. And in 1984 and 1989 there were similar polls where Indy was left in the dust by Ghostbusters, Batman, Beverly Hills Cop, Driving Miss Daisy, Twins and The Karate Kid. So really, who gives a crap.

Darth Vile

No Ticket said:
I'm appalled that you guys are discrediting this list just because it's on moviefone. I voted on the list and I voted for TDK for most of the categories... just like everybody else because it's just the truth that Heath Ledger was the best villain of the summer. Which is why he got 95%. I mean yeah, opinions differ, but most people agree on this.

Just cuz you don't like the results is no reason to discredit the poll as being voted on by idiots. Which shows just how much reasoning and intelligence you've put into such an assumption. I mean, to just say, "Probably just a bunch of idiots who play with their cell phones."

I voted for it online... and it is just a little poll. Who cares? They really didn't put Indy in hardly any categories to begin with and obviously TDK was one of the best movies of the summer.

I don't see that there is anything to be "appalled about". People burn and corrupt politicians gain power through mass polling.... It shouldn't be seen as some indication of "truth". I just don't see how an AOL poll can be taken seriously as a measure of any kind of quality. Heath Ledger was the best villain of the summer (IMHO)... but that neither validates the poll nor the results...

Blade

Darth Vile said:
I don't see that there is anything to be "appalled about". People burn and corrupt politicians gain power through mass polling.... It shouldn't be seen as some indication of "truth". I just don't see how an AOL poll can be taken seriously as a measure of any kind of quality. Heath Ledger was the best villain of the summer (IMHO)... but that neither validates the poll nor the results...

5%? That many.

graz

Way of the dodo said:
Dark Knight is the better and more popular movie. And in 1984 and 1989 there were similar polls where Indy was left in the dust by Ghostbusters, Batman, Beverly Hills Cop, Driving Miss Daisy, Twins and The Karate Kid. So really, who gives a crap.

My thoughts entirely. The Dark Knight is one of the most popular films of all time (particularly in North America). It would be a big suprise to me if it didn't pi** on all the other releases of the year in polls like this. If it is genuinely that good it deserves to.

Sankara

"The Dark Knight" is really-really good! Heath is great and his Joker is one of the best Villains of all time! Sure: "TDK" is nothing against "Raiders", "Temple" or "Crusade" but it's much better than lousy this lousy Anti-Indiana-Jones-Movie called "Skull".

Like Blade said: 5%? That many??? :D :D :D

No Ticket

Darth Vile said:

Of course you don't because you just like to argue. People cast votes based on their opinion therefore it is an indication of truth whether you want to believe it or not.. just because it's an AOL poll doesn't mean crap.

Popular opinion counts. This is how things are decided upon you dolt.