Least favourite lines

Pale Horse

Staff member
Hate isn't really the right word. In the true nature of the forum, it's least favorite. IMO there are many inappropriate line written, (or improvised) that seem out of place, or out of character, or are only there to get an audience reaction.

"Bad Penny" is one such line.

"It's a long way to Delhi" is another.

wolfgang

Thanks, Adventurer, I can't beleieve I missed that one. Anyway, why do you all "least favorate" the Penny line? I think its quite funny.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
I don't see how the "bad penny" line is out of character. It certainly seems to fit to me. Perhaps it is a cliche, but let's face it, so is Indy. Admittedly, somewhat more complex than the typical serial hero, and maybe more in the vein of the Philip Marlowe/Sam Spade private eye, but these guys spoke in cliches. It goes with the territory.

I can't seem to think of any least favorite lines off-hand, but if I think of any...I'll leave you know.

Pale Horse

Staff member
I will agree that his "character" is a bit cliche, but he speech wasn't.

He wasn't at all cliche in any of his other lines. There is no such thing as a cliche line in Raiders. (Maybe the water water water line in TOD)

I guess I just don't see it.

Re: Re: Least favorite line? Nah

Canyon said:
Indys_favorite said:
Ah, I haven't found a line yet that I just 'do-not-like'. My favorite one though is....(from Raiders)

"where does it NOT hurt!?"
"Here.." <---pointing at elbow
"And here" <---- pointing at forehead
"And here" <------ pointing at eyelid
"Here" <---- and then the lips...
Oh how we envy her!

Tell me about it!!!

ME too! I also hate the "5 mins." scene. DO you think it's cuz I'm a little jealous?lol

Canyon

Jealous? Now why would we be jealous?

Saw Temple on Friday, and I gotta admit, I was jealous as hell. :mad:

<small>Oh how I would love to discuss "Noctural activites" with Dr. Jones...</small> :D

Venture

The "ground falling out from under your feet" line didn't bother me, but the stiff "Yes?" that followed just seemed really contrived. It was the only 1/2 second of the LC that made me wince. If it weren't an Indy film, that might have been an imperfection.

Indyologist

To be honest, I thought the "bad penny" was a little dumb, but that's the only Indy quote I'm not crazy about. Really.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Interesting...almost everything mentioned here is either innuendo/romantic dialogue or something in a major Donovan scene.

I'm not about to defend the first, or the second for that matter, but the second one does surprise me. Donovan appeals to me though, he is cliche perhaps, but I guess Mr. Glover brought something extra to the part that makes it interesting.

Pale Horse

Staff member
He certainly was a predictable character, but I don't know if his lines are among my least favorite. Maybe it is because he balanced the sheer nastiness of the Nazi mentality with a hint of goofy likeability, where someone like Belloq provided the balance with a tone of mockery.

Indy4ever

As a female, I have always thought Indy's line : "And my mother's ears, but the rest belongs to you!" is pretty lame coming from such a suave adventurer as Indiana Jones. However, I think it works in the context of the scene, clearly showing Indy's attraction to Elsa. Also, maybe this line was meant to show that while Indy is an expert archaeologist, in the movies, his character needs a little more expertise on the playboy side.

I dunno. Overall, I think the dialogue fits in exactly with the character. But come on! Indy could have thought of something more sexy than his mother's ears.

[Edited by Indy4ever on 07-25-2003 at 08:45 am]

Pale Horse

Staff member
I am speaking on speculation here, because I am too tired to look it up, but wasn't Indy originaly supposed to be a playboy type, with a penthouse in New York that he financed through his archeology?

It did seem a bit of of character again, it seemed too planned, and Indy is the type who makes things up as he goes.