Sapito vs. Satipo

Stoo

This issue may have been previously discussed but has anyone
ever noticed that Indy says "Adios, Sapito" and not "Satipo"?

Could Harrison have flubbed the line but it being a good take
they chose the shot anyway?

Or maybe he was meant to say sapito to show the audience that the relationship between those guys wasnt a big one, that they knew themselves for such a short time that they didnt even remember well their own names ;)

Stoo

The one and only time the audience hears the character's name is in the line
"Adios, Sapito". Unless you go beyond the cinematic experience, you would
never know about the spelling of "Satipo".

In 1981, my friends & I were part of that audience and we all heard "Sapito".
When "The Illustrated Screenplay" and other literature was published, we all
noticed the difference.

Anyway, Luisiana, I can see where you're coming from so - Yes, maybe Indy
just didn't remember his name... :D It's the only explanation...

IAdventurer01

Seeing this, and with my opinion of the Indina Jones character, I think the line is just right. The correct name is probably Satipo. However, By the end, Indy was not very fond of the guy. :rolleyes: So, he was playing with his name and calling the guy a "Sap."

Or he got his lines messed up, but it's neat to think of other possibilities. ;)

Last edited:

VP

Moderator Emeritus
Stoo said:
Unless you go beyond the cinematic experience, you would
never know about the spelling of "Satipo".

The credits are a part of the cinematic experience. It says Satipo in the credits.

ElodieJones

For me it's very difficult to understand this word.
The first time I understand.
"Adios Stupido"

Don't laught. English is not my language

VP

Moderator Emeritus
I don't laugh. I thought so too, because it was subtitled that way on my VHS.

Jay R. Zay

well, i've listened to it several times now (never paid attention to this line).

in the english version, it's hard to tell. the guys who wrote the subtitles for the DVD didn't seem to be sure, either, so they just said "Adios". in the Czech and Hungarian version, he calls him something entirely different - at least not his real name. and in german, he clearly says "stupido".

so i guess we can all be pretty sure, that's what he calls him. no need to laugh about Elodie. :whip:

Jay R. Zay

bah the spanish simply can't translate movies :p THAT's a reason to learn german :D to have a good translation from english

;)

EDIT: so let's laugh about Luisiana :p

Last edited:

Stoo

VP said:
The credits are a part of the cinematic experience. It says Satipo in the credits.

This is true but I think you're missing the point, which is that Indy's
pronunciation of the name wasn't done to show his weak relationship
with the character. The audience never hears/sees the name before
Indy says Sapito.

So, let me rephrase my post by saying, "Unless a movie-goer later reads the
credits or book/scripts they would never know about the spelling of Satipo".
Besides, wouldn't you agree that the percentage of people leaving the
theatre when any film credits start to roll is pretty high?

Jay R. Zay said:
bah the spanish simply can't translate movies :p THAT's a reason to learn german :D to have a good translation from english

;)

EDIT: so let's laugh about Luisiana :p

German?? c´mon just because we translate titles such as "unbreakable" as "the protected" doesn mean we can´t translate ;)

the only one who thinks that the spanish simply cant translate movie titles the right way, well yeah you are not, and im ashamed of that, they say that they translate some titles differently so they impact the society more :confused: what the heck is that supposed to mean, if a movie its called red why do we have to call it blue :(

Ska

Since Ford is praised and worshipped in the Temple of Raven, could it be that there was a typo in the credits...and that Harrison did indeed say the line right?

(BTW...what does the script say?)

Jay R. Zay

Jay R. Zay said:
well, i've listened to it several times now (never paid attention to this line).

in the english version, it's hard to tell. the guys who wrote the subtitles for the DVD didn't seem to be sure, either, so they just said "Adios". in the Czech and Hungarian version, he calls him something entirely different - at least not his real name. and in german, he clearly says "stupido".

so i guess we can all be pretty sure, that's what he calls him. no need to laugh about Elodie. :whip:

this actually was meant to be the final answer... :eek: i'm positive he says "stupido"...

Indy Parise

Hey. Every time I watch the movie there is alot of noise in the background so
I alwasy thought he said adios Amigo, which doesn't make much sense anyway so....wait what was I saying?..........Doh not again.

Stoo

Jay R. Zay said:

so i guess we can all be pretty sure, that's what he calls him.

In the German version, is it Harrison Ford's voice or is it dubbed?
The 1981 English theatrical release is the source material and not
a DVD made ~20 years later. :( Your English DVD seems different
from mine as the subtitles on my copy read "Adios, Satipo."

Admittedly, "Stupido" makes for a better line (if the audience were to
have heard "Satipo" previously) but in the original he definitely says "Sapito".
Having seen the movie 4 times in the theatre with Dolby Sound, I wouldn't
have even mentioned this if there was any doubt.

I'm tellin' ya, man, either Harrison flubbed (or changed, as in other cases)
the line and the credits were created without reflecting this trivial detail.
Every reference since then has been based on the script/credits and not
from the mouth of Indiana Jones.