TheRaider.net
 

Go Back   The Raven > Off Topic > Films
User Name
Password

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-21-2014, 05:42 PM   #51
Joe Brody
IndyFan
 
Joe Brody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Sweetest Place on Earth
Posts: 2,562
Quote:
Originally Posted by kongisking
???

Nevermind, just walk away, kong...


Just read the lyrics.
Joe Brody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 07:23 PM   #52
kongisking
IndyFan
 
kongisking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Skull Island
Posts: 3,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Brody
Just read the lyrics.

Yup. And they form a song that's about teaching Anna that its better to love one who is imperfect because its more realistic than the seemingly-perfect Prince she's engaged to, and those imperfections make their good qualities all the more special.

I'm sorry that you somehow read a misandrist message into a song about tolerance and love for non-paragons. Which is....everyone.

(I'm also sorry my opinion will be casually dismissed because everyone will just think I'm an nonobjective. naive party. Damn whatever actual sense is in my words)
kongisking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 08:08 PM   #53
Joe Brody
IndyFan
 
Joe Brody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Sweetest Place on Earth
Posts: 2,562
Quote:
Originally Posted by kongisking
Yup. And they form a song that's about teaching Anna that its better to love one who is imperfect because its more realistic than the seemingly-perfect Prince she's engaged to, and those imperfections make their good qualities all the more special.

And you seriously think that's how a kid interprets that song?

You cut me up. Teaching? You want to learn something about teaching to kids watch Fred Rogers, and trust me, he would have thrown up all Frozen and all of its narcissistic b*ll-sh*t.

Her flaw? She's what? Engaged. His? Too many to count.
Joe Brody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 06:53 PM   #54
Joe Brody
IndyFan
 
Joe Brody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Sweetest Place on Earth
Posts: 2,562
Looking like the domestic run will land somewhere between $200M and $210M. Not bad but not the greatest ROI.
Joe Brody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 10:57 PM   #55
kongisking
IndyFan
 
kongisking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Skull Island
Posts: 3,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Brody
And you seriously think that's how a kid interprets that song?

You cut me up. Teaching? You want to learn something about teaching to kids watch Fred Rogers, and trust me, he would have thrown up all Frozen and all of its narcissistic b*ll-sh*t.

Her flaw? She's what? Engaged. His? Too many to count.

I honestly feel like you give kids far too little credit. But of course, I do not know your son or the family dynamics you have going, so I could be sounding like a jackass here. But believe me, the song is much more innocent than you read it as.

And for the record...Anna's flaws are impetuousness, naivete, temper, overly trusting, reckless and the occasional insensitivity. So its not a case of 'oh, the heroine is flawless perfection while the guy's a pathetic example of humanity.' I agree, that would be messed up and damaging.
kongisking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 02:56 AM   #56
Le Saboteur
IndyFan
 
Le Saboteur's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Sham Shui Po
Posts: 1,914
I haven't been back in this thread because I still haven't seen the flick. Other obligations have kept me from the theatre, but there is a thread dedicated to Frozen. Feel free to adjourn your particular brand of grousing and carping to that thread.
Le Saboteur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 02:20 PM   #57
Forbidden Eye
IndyFan
 
Forbidden Eye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: With the Treasure of Mara...
Posts: 972
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Brody
Looking like the domestic run will land somewhere between $200M and $210M. Not bad but not the greatest ROI.

Perhaps, but given that you were predicting a possible flop three months ago, that's not bad at all. Not every film can be a Lion King/Frozen sized juggernaut. You need modest-sized hits in addition to the smashes in order to create a brand like Disney(same to how the occasional flop is inevitable).

Either way, the masculine side of Disney Animation can breathe a sigh of relief.
Forbidden Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 08:37 PM   #58
Joe Brody
IndyFan
 
Joe Brody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Sweetest Place on Earth
Posts: 2,562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forbidden Eye
Perhaps, but given that you were predicting a possible flop three months ago[.]

I love chatting on the internet. In this thread, I observed that BHG will not do bofo box office due to stiff competition (post #23 in this thread) and would likely come in on the lower end of a predicted range (#42). How those observations got turned into me predicting a flop is beyond me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forbidden Eye
[T]hat's not bad at all. Not every film can be a Lion King/Frozen sized juggernaut. You need modest-sized hits in addition to the smashes in order to create a brand like Disney(same to how the occasional flop is inevitable).

Whatever you say.

BH6 Production and Marketing Budgets: $165M + $100M+ = $265M

BH6 Box Office = $210M Domestic + (what?) $300M International (of which Disney only gets half) = $360M

That's not the type of results that gives any c-suite executive comfort. Guardians of the Galaxy was made for less, marketed for less and released in the dogs days of summer and still kicked ass and helped move the needle of Disney stock. Do some searches, and you will even find early 2014 press out there predicting Guardians was going to be a flop.

Compare to the BH6 tailwinds: Marvel Property + Frozen & Wreck-It Halo + Huge marketing dollars + stunning animation + humor + prime release date, + Star Wars trailer buzz, and the end result is $210M domestic? That's not good. Something is lacking. Someone in Disney is not getting the job done. I submit the fundamental miss is the story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forbidden Eye
Either way, the masculine side of Disney Animation can breathe a sigh of relief.

The only sigh I hear is over another could've been for Disney animation. For BH6 to end (as I understand it) with an introduction of the BHG team as if the sequel is a forgone conclusion is arrogant and further evidence of the fundamental problem of not getting it.
Joe Brody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 06:18 AM   #59
Pale Horse
Moderator
 
Pale Horse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: L.A.
Posts: 6,719
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Brody
I submit the fundamental miss is the story.

You're right.

99 times out of 100 it always is. I'd break it down....but I'm on a mobile.
Pale Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 06:33 PM   #60
kongisking
IndyFan
 
kongisking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Skull Island
Posts: 3,022
This was a delightful experience. I definitely will be rewatching this many times in the future. Another winner from Disney.

kongisking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 09:45 PM   #61
Joe Brody
IndyFan
 
Joe Brody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Sweetest Place on Earth
Posts: 2,562
I'm not crisp on my numbers but by the third week of its release, American Sniper will outdraw BH6. I think it is already more profitable in its week #2.

My point?

BH6 is what you get when a movie is made by marketers capable of only making watered down PC safe choices.

Compare that with Sniper, which was made on a meagre budget, had a jostled development (Spielberg was set to direct but couldn't make it work) and given a weak release date (it wasn't even the only war film in theaters) and you get a sense of what real filmmaking is about.

[My thoughts on Sniper are irrelevant -- but I'll say that I don't think I'll be seeing it in a theatre.]
Joe Brody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 02:27 AM   #62
Le Saboteur
IndyFan
 
Le Saboteur's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Sham Shui Po
Posts: 1,914
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Brody
...will not do bofo box office due to stiff competition (post #23 in this thread) and would likely come in on the lower end of a predicted range (#42).

I was randomly looking up box office results the other day and it looks like you were wrong; it came out on the high end of my predictions and subsequently exceeded that. Final box office tally was ~$657-million and change.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Brody
BH6 Production and Marketing Budgets: $165M + $100M+ = $265M

BH6 Box Office = $210M Domestic + (what?) $300M International (of which Disney only gets half) = $360M

That marketing estimate was - and is - too high. $70-80-million seems fair; otherwise, your domestic estimate was pretty close (~$220-million), but your international estimate was substantially off (~$435-million). Japanese enthusiasm really put it over the top. Plus another ~$100-million in home video sales.

Back of napkin math puts you at ~$757-million bucks in total revenue. Just chopping the box office revenue in half (using your numbers) gives you nearly $64-million in profit. Factor in profit from home video puts the flick over a hundred million in profit. That's not a bad return on investment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Brody
The only sigh I hear is over another could've been for Disney animation. For BH6 to end (as I understand it) with an introduction of the BHG team as if the sequel is a forgone conclusion is arrogant and further evidence of the fundamental problem of not getting it.

Have we reached the point where anything less than a billion bucks in revenue is considered a failure?

For my money, the story skewed too young. Too family friendly. Had they aimed more for the... 13-year old boy audience then, domestically at least, I think you would have seen more traction. What's his face wearing a suit and not actually turning into a Godzilla-like creature was the worst change they could have made.

Baymax is still rad.

Has anybody picked up the art book for this yet? The concept art is fantastic, and I still want to see more of San Fransokyo. Luckily about half the book is comprised of environmental designs.




Ride the Divine Wind!

And finally: Big Hero 6 is returning to the small screen! Stan Lee let it slip a long while back -- there still might be a movie -- that they were working on a new one, but I didn't think they'd be doing a cartoon series. Of course, it keeps Hiro & Co. in the public consciousness.

Opening credits were released during D23!

Le Saboteur is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:48 PM.