Is there money in old maps?

Arob

Now that maps are completely obsolete (because of online digital earth imaging systems - or I believe they call this GIS) are they suddenly valuable on ebay?

Ironically, all the so called EXPERTS advise not to use eBay for buying maps. They say online is the wrong place to look at and buy old maps as there are so many reproductions of such excellent quality that its hard to be sure you are buying the genuine article.
tiver_1878_streetmap.jpg

This is an 1878 reproduction of Tiverton town map (its a little known Dumpdigger fact that the town's first dump was right underneath the 'T' in Tiverton.)

Dumpdiggers just crafted a post entitled Secrets to Collecting Antique Maps that's got mass information on the art of buying and preserving maps as investments.

Do you think antique maps are a good investment? Even if you can't buy and sell them online? Why?

Arob said:
Now that maps are completely obsolete (because of online digital earth imaging systems - or I believe they call this GIS) are they suddenly valuable on ebay?

Maps are nowhere near being obsolete. There will always be a place for paper maps simply because electronics can and do die and you don't want to be left without a backup. GIS stands for Geographical Information System and is not an online digital system, they are large databases where information can be viewed. They really are not maps and are not used as maps for the most part.

Ironically, all the so called EXPERTS advise not to use eBay for buying maps. They say online is the wrong place to look at and buy old maps as there are so many reproductions of such excellent quality that its hard to be sure you are buying the genuine article.

I wouldn't buy a map off of eBay either, to many things can be fakes. Just a year or two ago I ended up getting a 12" Indy that was supposed to be unopened, but it was put into a fake box. There's no way I would spend more then a few hundred on anything on eBay.

Dumpdiggers just crafted a post entitled Secrets to Collecting Antique Maps that's got mass information on the art of buying and preserving maps as investments.

Do you think antique maps are a good investment? Even if you can't buy and sell them online? Why?

I don't think maps are a good investment, nor do I think any such collectible is really an investment. Generally you can do more with your money by investing in stock markets. Granted some people might make money, but for the most part your not, even if you sell it for more you could have probably done better in the market. I would collect maps for the same reason I collect Indy stuff, because I like it.

FTR I am a cartographer and make aeronautical charts for a living. I know I wouldn't collect those that's for sure.