Film Critic Hulk's Defense of Temple of Doom

kongisking

This fellow nails it. TOD is just pure, unleaded thrills and unapologetically fun. Raiders may be the holy standard for an Indy adventure, but jeez, Temple of Doom perfectly hits all of my personal buttons. May not be the best Indy film, but it's far and away my favorite.

Lance Quazar

Temple Raider said:
Good to see TOD defended but the all-caps writing makes it annoying to read.

While the caps gimmick is off-putting to some, HULK is one of the best film bloggers out there today and his essays are required reading for anyone interested in film, pop culture, criticism, etc.

I was absolutely delighted to see him write an ode to "Temple of Doom", though I think his essay in this case only really scratches the surface of that movie's strengths.

kongisking

I confess, I had heard of him before, but was put off by the concept of his speaking in Hulk-talk. Then I read this essay, and saw it's nothing like that. He just uses all caps and speaks in third person, calling himself 'Hulk'. Other than that, he's remarkably wise and literate. I actually just read his analysis of Man of Steel, and succeeded in breaking me. Lord, this guy is good.

Now I'm rather curious for his thoughts on KOTCS. Did he ever write up on that one?

HenryJunior

Back during the AMC Theatre Marathon last year, Temple of Doom was just impossibly fun. Raiders was classic, but in the theatre Temple of Doom absolutely knocks the wind out of you and takes you for a few more loops. From Club Obi-Wan to the climax on the bridge, TOD puts most modern block busters to shame. Most sequels are re-hashes of the first movie, but TOD went for a whole new feel AND GOT IT RIGHT. It might not always be the one I want to watch, but it never disappoints.

S. Dakota Jones

kongisking said:
This fellow nails it. TOD is just pure, unleaded thrills and unapologetically fun. Raiders may be the holy standard for an Indy adventure, but jeez, Temple of Doom perfectly hits all of my personal buttons. May not be the best Indy film, but it's far and away my favorite.

This x1000!

AndyLGR

I like the fact they went for something different than a rehash of raiders, but my biggest gripe has always been the huge lull from they land in India to after the banquet scene.

kongisking

AndyLGR said:
I like the fact they went for something different than a rehash of raiders, but my biggest gripe has always been the huge lull from they land in India to after the banquet scene.

I've noticed the pace slows quite a bit there too. But in hindsight, maybe that's a deliberate choice, so that the climax feels all the more breathless and non-stop after that.