Blooper reels

Zorg

Who else is thinking about an future "Complete Movie Adventures of Indiana Jones" DVD set that they're saving all their blooper treasures for? :rolleyes:

I know, it sounds kinda lame, but it also sounds exactly like something Lucasfilm would do. Think about all the Star Wars releases and the rumors of upcoming releases...

And I agree.. it'd be hilarious to see footage of that prank with Streisand.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
There's the featurette with Ford, Connery and Spielberg imitating the three stooges...
Aaron H said:
I'm not sure it was filmed.
Steven Awalt at spielbergfilms claims to have a ratty old tape of it.
I wish he's upload it...

Aaron H

Moderator Emeritus
Moedred said:
There's the featurette with Ford, Connery and Spielberg imitating the three stooges...

Steven Awalt at spielbergfilms claims to have a ratty old tape of it.
I wish he's upload it...
Steven claims a lot of things. No offense to him meant, it just that he talks big, but doesn't put his money where his mouth is.

I saw the pictures several years ago in a book about movie gags and bloopers. I honestly do not remember the title, it was when I was going through my "Iwannabecomeafilmmaker" phase so I read a lot of books about film then and it has since got lost in the jungle known as my brain.

Michael24

Moedred said:

Well, not really a featurette. I believe it's just the first shot that opens the LAST CRUSADE segment of the documentary on the DVD set. Still kinda funny, though.

And I think there was another little shot (not sure if it's on the DVD documentary) where Harrison is between takes in the catacombs, sitting in a chair holding up a rat as he pets it, and you can hear him playfully saying, "You dirty little rat." :D I know it was on a tape I used to have called something like GREAT ADVENTURERS AND THEIR STUNTS that was related to LAST CRUSADE somehow.

FILMKRUSC

Michael24 said:
Now that you mention it, I don't think I've ever seen a single blooper from any of the films. I wonder why? I love when DVDs include a gag reel, though the one for the STAR WARS OT was rather weak.

I'd love to see the prank they pulled on Harrison Ford during TEMPLE OF DOOM, where they had Barbara Streisand show up to whip him while he's strapped to the rock in the torture chamber, along with Carrie Fisher and Irvin Kirshner appearances. I once read that the whole gag was supposedly filmed, but I've never seen any confirmation of that one way or the other. :D

The Striesand whiping was filmed and is very funny.

They do have blooper reels at least for the first two Indy films which I know about first hand as I saw them in a rare screening at Amblin.

I met Spielberg in 87 at Universal while attending USC film school and received an invitation to go to Amblin for a tour. Before Spielberg came into the screening room to talk to my class, he was delayed due to editing on Empire of the Sun, they ran the blooper reels for Raiders and TOD during the delay. Both were every entertaining and it is a shame they haven't released them on dvd.

It was definitely filmed. The Blooper reels do exist.

Last edited:

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
Wow... It would take a real Indiana Jones to find these...

Indiana Jones and the Lost Blooper Reels :p

OhioJones

Aaron H said:
Steven claims a lot of things. No offense to him meant, it just that he talks big, but doesn't put his money where his mouth is.
*cough*guywhoclaimedthetrailerwascomingonthesafestbetbackinnovemberandthenmadeupsomeelaboratestorythatitgotpulledatthelastsecondbecausestevenwasdissapointedwithitandnowitcouldberealesedanytimeeverandyoucanclaimtotakecreditforit*cough*

Gilmoid

Indyologist said:
I would love to see some bloopers from the Indy trilogy, but can't seem to find any anywhere. There really aren't really any worth the time on the DVD's. I'd love to see the actors playing pranks, messing up lines, falling down, missing a target, knocking over scenery-- whatever!

Does anyone know where I can find this stuff? I don't see anything significant on YouTube, unless I'm using the wrong search terms or something. Anyone have any links, etc.?

Thanks in advance.

** please note that I DO NOT mean stuff that was left out, the visible glass in the snake pit, etc. I mean FILMED BLOOPERS. **

I don't know if this counts as a blooper, but when Indy is packing his bag to go to Tibet, he packs a revolver, but in the fight in the tavern, he's wielding a .45 automatic pistol (or maybe the other way around--it's been a long time.)

Finn

Staff member
Gilmoid said:
I don't know if this counts as a blooper, but when Indy is packing his bag to go to Tibet, he packs a revolver, but in the fight in the tavern, he's wielding a .45 automatic pistol (or maybe the other way around--it's been a long time.)
Now there's a minor mix-up with terms. "Blooper" is an outtake gone wrong, either because something happened with the props (like a falling set piece) or actor messed up (forgot his lines, lost his poker and started laughing, etc) - and that stuff essentially ends up in the cutting room floor.

What you described, mistakes in continuity and such that exist on the finished product are called "goofs" (and we have plenty of threads here for those too).

So there's a difference. It's human to mix it up though, so don't sweat it.

Ok, I got 20 bucks on the line. So someone come good for me here.

Official proof of the Streisand incident. Statement from the horses' mouth, a blurb on one of their official websites, whatever...

Anyone have any?

EDIT.

Got it in the form of a Pat Roach interview in Starlog issue 131.

Last edited:

isaac_z

the direct, and still unbelievable quote:

Filming his Temple of Doom scenes at England's Elstree Studios held its own surprises for Roach. "There was a whipping scene where Harrison's tied up to a rock. Barbra Streisand came in, dressed in black leather, and while Harrison was tied up to the rock, she took my whip off me and whipped him! She said, 'That's for Hanover Street, the worst movie I ever saw!' and then she whipped him for doing Star Wars and earning all that money. Then, Carrie Fisher ran in--she was dressed up, too--and she threw herself across Harrison, and shouted, 'No, no, no!' And then [Empire Strikes Back director] Irvin Kershner ran in and said, 'Steven, is this the way you run your movies? I would never let this happen on one of my sets!' Then, Steven said to Kersh, 'Get off my set!'

"They filmed it, and I think they sent it back to Hollywood. It was hilarious."

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
FILMKRUSC said:
they ran the blooper reels for Raiders and TOD during the delay. Both were every entertaining
So they do exist! Any more details?
Here's some Ford, Fisher and Streisand for ya. Plus a transcript.
http://forgottensilver.wordpress.com/2008/05/14/le-betisier-inedit-du-temple-maudit
indy-3.jpg

Last edited:

A_True_Believer

Moedred said:
So they do exist! Any more details? Here's some Ford, Fisher and Streisand for ya. Plus a transcript. Courtesy of our friend Mr. Awalt's discussion board.

It's hard to tell just from reading the transcript, but it seems like Harrison was in on it. The exchange he has with Carrie seems scripted.

Even seeing the images, I'm stunned that this really happened. They need to put this on DVD, ASAP. I know Mrs. Streisand said a rather offensive slur at the end, but they could easily dub it out if that was an issue. C'mon, Steve! Make it an easter egg on the KOTCS DVD! Please!!!

Stoo

FILMKRUSC said:
It was definitely filmed. The Blooper reels do exist.
As a holiday gift to all of you starving Indy fans, here is the EXTREMELY RARE footage of the whipping prank with Bawbra.:whip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myKADT5CEgc

The audio has some echo since this was taken at an audience screening so check out the link to the transcript (which Moedred posted above) in order to get a better understanding of what was said. Behold & enjoy...

HAPPY HOLIDAYS & HAPPY NEW YEAR!:)