Sapito vs. Satipo

Stoo

Luke Skywalker said:
BTW, Sapito means in Spanish a diminutive of Sapo, which means toad.

So as a name-nickname 'Toady' serves very well the character. Slimy traitor

On the other hand, Satipo is a region of Perú.
Nice info, Luke Skywalker. Gracias, amigo!:hat:
Would "Sapito/Toady" be used by the Quecha?

Niteshade007 said:
With English subtitles, it says "Satipo." What everyone hears though Sapito. Ford flubbed. How has this gone on for so many pages?
This has been my whole point since opening the thread.:rolleyes:
Indyman4 said:
That's a good idea, but you have to realize that no one knows what his name is supposed to be until Indy says it, whether it be wrong or not. No one calls him "Satipo" at all before Indy does. Sooo...
Another point I was tyring to make which is why I regurgitated this thread with the Indy magazine bit.

Last edited:

Kooshmeister

Well, like I said before, what's good enough for the script and novelization is good enough for me. In both, Indy says, "Adios, Satipo," therefore "Sapito" is a flub and his name is Satipo and I'm fine with that.

And, in the script and book, his name is given in scene descriptions several times before Indy says the line (Indy also calls him--and Barranca--by name more than once in dialogue that is unique to the novelization), and each and every time it's Satipo.

Luke Skywalker

So in the english version indy says satipo or sapito, and the rest of the world dubbing, since they didnt have a clue what was indy saying (they didnt knew the characters name) they choose a word that sounded similar ('stupido') and fitted the dialogue too..

davros72

davros72 said:
I can't for the life of me think of what it was, but I swear there's another movie (possibly another Indy but I'm not sure, maybe a SW film?) where Harrison flips around two letters to call someone a different name than what the character is "officially" called. Dangit, what was it? Anyone know what the heck I'm talking about?
Answering my own question, I was reading my ToD novelization over the weekend. The name of the guide who takes Indy and co. on their elephants on the trek to Pankot is Sajnu. However, I'm pretty sure Harrison calls him Sanju at least once.

The Man

Is this speech impediment explained in The Young Indy Chronicles? Does he fall off a horse? Is he forever traumatised after catching sight of Herman's weener during scout weekend?

Professor Jones

There's no doubt: in the english version he says clearly "(e)stupido". The confirmation of this is given by the italian translation, that translated "estupido" with "imbecille", that's a less usual word to say "stupid" in italian.

Luke Skywalker

Professor Jones said:
There's no doubt: in the english version he says clearly "(e)stupido". The confirmation of this is given by the italian translation, that translated "estupido" with "imbecille", that's a less usual word to say "stupid" in italian.

The italian dubbing should have rested those words unchanged in spanish, as in the original its spanish too...

But if every version seems to say 'stupid' in whatever the language, i think that rests the case.

Niteshade007

But it doesn't. If you watch it with English subtitles, it says "Satipo." Not stupido. Not stupid. A name, "Satipo." It doesn't match what Ford is saying because Ford messed up. Seriously, why is this so hard?

Luke Skywalker

OK just watched the english version.

He seems to say Sapito.

I dont know if this is customary but It seems then that Paramount did not provide transcripts for the foreign market to translate...

Kooshmeister

You know, the script is available online pretty much everywhere. Including on this very site. Apparently nobody who is confused over what the character's name might be has ever thought of consulting it. The shooting scripts can often solve a lot of problems and answer a lot of questions, being the building blocks of the film(s).

'Course, it's a double-edged sword, what with Dietrich and Toht being named "Shliemann" and "Belzig" in the same script....

Professor Jones

Kooshmeister said:
You know, the script is available online pretty much everywhere. Including on this very site. Apparently nobody who is confused over what the character's name might be has ever thought of consulting it. The shooting scripts can often solve a lot of problems and answer a lot of questions, being the building blocks of the film(s).

'Course, it's a double-edged sword, what with Dietrich and Toht being named "Shliemann" and "Belzig" in the same script....

I've had already consulted the script before, and Indy does just says "Adios!" so no other "Sapito" or "stupido" word is written.

Professor Jones

By the way another reason to believe that's really "stupido" and not "sapito" (or similar) is that when the movie came out nobody knew the name of the character portrayed by Alfred Molina. Since, according to those who believe Harrison says "Adios, Sapito!", the name "Satipo" follow a spanish word, there's really a little chance that the first-time audience would have understood it was a first name. Besides, in the whole movie the secondary character names aren't named (sorry for the pun) at all... Nobody calls Toht or Dietrich by name, Barranca neither... That would fulfil the viewers' minds with useless informations: what matters in such a movie is the characterizations of the single roles, that made them so charming, without knowing the anagraphic details of the marginal "personnages". So I really find the use of the vocative pretty useless in the economy of the scene and in a "systematic" reading of the whole movie... find much more fitting the word "stupido", in the bitter taunting context of the moment.

Another argument that bring water to this thesis is the fact that there's no way for the Authors (I mean Spielberg and Producers) to keep such an evident mispelling error in the movie, since the scene is quite easy to reshoot and very simple to repeat for Harrison... they would have just cut it.

So I'm quite propense to think that the "Sapito" interpretation is a suggestion inducted in the fans that knew too much well the name of Molina's character and maybe convinced themselves in hearing it (mis)spoken by Harrison Ford.

Besides, if you listen carefully to the phrase you can hear quite clearly "Stupido". I've tried listen to it again and again: it's just "Stupido".

P.S.: the argument based on the spanish word "sapo" as diminished in "sapito" in a - presuntively - ironical way is really too thin. The irony and the spirit of the movie is clear and understandable to an audience of all age and the quickness of the rhytm does not allow such linguistical intellectual digressions... much more immediate and in the spirit of the humour of Kasdan would be - once again - "stupido". I frankly cannot believe that a screenwriter would use such a difficult pun in such a hit-and-run movie.

Kooshmeister

Professor Jones said:
I've had already consulted the script before, and Indy does just says "Adios!" so no other "Sapito" or "stupido" word is written.

Yes but being a script the character's name is given elsewhere in scene descriptions:

'Behind him come two Spanish Peruvians, SATIPO and BARRANCA.'

There. End of story. His name is Satipo. Regardless of what Indy does or doesn't say upon finding him dead, according to the movie credits, the script and the novelization and many other sources, "Satipo" is his name.

http://www.imsdb.com/scripts/Indiana-Jones-and-the-Raiders-of-the-Lost-Ark.html

Professor Jones said:
Nobody calls Toht or Dietrich by name, Barranca neither...

True for Toht and Barranca, wrong for Dietrich. Sallah calls him by name. "The boss German, Dietrich."

Professor Jones

Kooshmeister said:
Regardless of what Indy does or doesn't say upon finding him dead, according to the movie credits, the script and the novelization and many other sources, "Satipo" is his name.

Never contested that. No doubt that "Satipo" is the name and that is written in several places of the script (AND in the end credits!).... That's an argument more to exclude that Indy says "Sapito", since that's NOT his name.

Kooshmeister said:
True for Toht and Barranca, wrong for Dietrich. Sallah calls him by name. "The boss German, Dietrich."

That's right, didn't remember. Anyway, as you notice, the name is preceded by a brief explanation of who's the character, so the first time we see him we know that's Dietrich... no such thing happens for Satipo.

Whipper

Harrison Ford: Sapito, I says.

Me: Sapito, it is.

I heard him called Sapito first, so that's what stuck. That's always been his name, in my mind.

(On the other hand, nuclear forever remains Nuclear, not "nukuler" -- because I was raised with better English than Harrison Ford. He can make Indy mumble and mangle the language, but I won't be adopting those choices for myself.)

At this late date, I don't think Lucas is gonna go to the trouble of having Harrison dub the line over for that next DVD package. You can sit there and think, "Harrison's wrong," or stay in the world of the film and listen to Indy.

Heh -- or have ILM give that ol' corpse one more spark of life, just one more breath, so he can roll his eyes and gasp out, "Satipo...!" as his final correction. Indy stops and whirls about at the improbability of hearing a dead guy speak, but is distracted by the giant boulder bearing down on him. ;)

Raider S

Stop the presses! HUGE Satipo vs. Sapito news!

Prepare for your very lives to change. :eek:

As I was waiting on someone in the grocery store I decided to do some reading in the magazine isle. The new issue of the Indy Crystal Skull magazine was there so I took a peek. Inside was a piece on the villains of the Indy flicks and on last page of said piece was a list of "minor" villains. And who is listed there but...wait for it...SAPITO! That's right SaPito.

The debate is over, the universe is in balance! An "official" Indiana Jones money-maker-glossy magazine has ended our argument and answered the age old question.

Adios SAPITO! :gun: