Sapito vs. Satipo

Michael24

Either another typo, or they decided to retcon the name to Sapito since that's what a lot of people think it is.

In the credits and novelization (and likely the script), it's Satipo. :)

Stoo

Raider S said:
Prepare for your very lives to change. :eek:

The debate is over, the universe is in balance! An "official" Indiana Jones money-maker-glossy magazine has ended our argument and answered the age old question.
Hey Raider S, I brought this up last week and it was the sole reason I revived my 3 year old thread.;)
If it is NOT a typo, then the rascal's name is being changed to match the flub.:eek:

Kooshmeister

Satipo.jpg

"Show me the money--er, the idol. I mean the idol. Gimme, gimme, gimme!"
"Sure thing, Sapito."
"Satipo!"
"What?"
"My name. It's Satipo, not 'Sapito,' you stupid gringo!"
"Who cares, you're gonna die in two minutes anyway."
"....I am?"

Satipo.jpg

"Aw, ratfarts, you're right! Aahhhhhh!"
"Adios, Stupido, or whatever your name is...."

Professor Jones

Raider S said:
Prepare for your very lives to change. :eek:

As I was waiting on someone in the grocery store I decided to do some reading in the magazine isle. The new issue of the Indy Crystal Skull magazine was there so I took a peek. Inside was a piece on the villains of the Indy flicks and on last page of said piece was a list of "minor" villains. And who is listed there but...wait for it...SAPITO! That's right SaPito.

The debate is over, the universe is in balance! An "official" Indiana Jones money-maker-glossy magazine has ended our argument and answered the age old question.

Adios SAPITO! :gun:

I don't see how could this possibly solve our dilemma.... Even if the right name is "Sapito" (which it isn't, by the way) the question is not if Indy said "saPito" or "saTipo", but if he said "saPito" or "stupido"!!!

Stoo

Luke Skywalker said:
BTW, Sapito means in Spanish a diminutive of Sapo, which means toad.

So as a name-nickname 'Toady' serves very well the character. Slimy traitor

On the other hand, Satipo is a region of Perú.
Here's a curious extract from "The Official Indiana Jones Magazine" #5, pg. 35:

Little Toad
Alfred Molina's treacherous Peruvian guide is named Satipo in the script, but
Indy calls him "Sapito" after the character's karmic impalement. What could
be a mistake could also serve as an insult, for "sapito" can be interpreted as
a nickname meaning "little toad".

The Magic Rat

Stoo said:
Here's a curious extract from "The Official Indiana Jones Magazine" #5, pg. 35:

Little Toad
Alfred Molina's treacherous Peruvian guide is named Satipo in the script, but
Indy calls him "Sapito" after the character's karmic impalement. What could
be a mistake could also serve as an insult, for "sapito" can be interpreted as
a nickname meaning "little toad".

I remember reading that. I ALWAYS though it was Sapito until playing LEGO Indy and noticing "Hmm, Satipo, huh?" I looked it up and apparently it has been a hot topic for a while.

It's Sapito, damn it! If it's what Indy calls him, it's what I use.

Finn

Staff member
The Magic Rat said:
It's Sapito, damn it! If it's what Indy calls him, it's what I use.
I still kind of wonder why this discussion is such a hot potato, as it's always been Satipo in the movie's credits - ever since 1981.

We have that many illiterates around? They do seem to know how to write though.

aJakeinthePlane

this seems like a lot of discussion for what appears to be a silly mistake on someones part. If its Harrison's mistake I can find it in my heart to forgive him and move on w/ my life.

Stoo

Finn said:
I still kind of wonder why this discussion is such a hot potato, as it's always been Satipo in the movie's credits - ever since 1981.
Well...Ray Winstone's character is "Michale" in the credits for Indy 4 but everywhere else it's "McHale".

Anyway, *I* know it's Satipo but Magic Rat justed proved my point from way back on page 1.
I also thought it was curious about the toad thing. Did the mag come up with that on their own
or did they glean it from this thread?

Finn

Staff member
Stoo said:
Well...Ray Winstone's character is "Michale" in the credits for Indy 4 but everywhere else it's "McHale".
Nothing like little retconned authority...

I mean, it was good for 27 years you know.

The Magic Rat

Finn said:

We have that many illiterates around? They do seem to know how to write though.

Didn't realize I was illiterate by choosing to hear a word, believe that word is correct since it's only said once, and never pay close enough attention to see that two letters are off in the credits.

Stoo

Finn said:
Nothing like little retconned authority...

I mean, it was good for 27 years you know.
"Ret***ned". If anyone ever catches me using that term, please shoot me.:eek: It's "Michale", dammit!:p
Anyway, I'm not trying to *change* the character's name. Back in '81, I didn't read every, single word in the
credits and only found out the guy's proper name after buying "The Illustrated Screenplay" a few months later.

The Magic Rat said:
Didn't realize I was illiterate by choosing to hear a word, believe that word is correct since it's only said once, and never pay close enough attention to see that two letters are off in the credits.
I wonder what one calls all the people who watched the dubbed versions, never realizing the weasel even
had a name and thought he was just "stupid".:confused:

col.dietrich

actually indy says "adios stupido" refering to the fact that he was stupid to run into the trap. but his names is satipo, it says in the credits.:)

Last edited by a moderator:

The Magic Rat

Stoo said:
I wonder what one calls all the people who watched the dubbed versions, never realizing the weasel even
had a name and thought he was just "stupid".:confused:

Well, he is a minor character who dies off in the opening sequence. While memorable and great, unless you really care the details aren't really important to get what's going on. My guess is that most don't care. The other ones are probably just very confused! :confused:

phantom train

Great thread! It's hard to believe this has gone on for as long as it has - very funny.

I posted this in another thread, but to add to this one: For years, while watching ROTLA I always thought Indy said, "Adios, Stupido" instead of "Adios, Satipo" after Satipo's betrayal.
Considering what happened, saying "Stupido" would have been very appropriate :D

Stoo

Case Closed!

*BUMP*

:eek:So...according to the Dialogue Release Script, I was wrong all this time!:eek: Glad to finally get to the bottom of it, though. Hats off to Rocket Surgeon for pointing it out.:hat:

INDY: Adios, stupido. (SPANISH: Goodbye, stupid)

Trilogy Scripts (1979-1988)