How Many of You Think That Indiana Jones 4 is going to be disappointing?

commontone said:
So, for the last 11 years or so, they've been working on scripts, then scrapping them....all the while secretly waiting for a "comeback craze"? After all that careful consideration, they finally said, "aww, f*** it, let's make this thing and cash in"???

I don't buy that at all. Maybe the comeback craze was a kind of warning to them--as in, "The time is now, if you wait any longer, both the people involved and the market will not be in the right state for this film." Maybe they want to beat the backlash that will happen after this craze is done. It may have been an indirect motivator, but I think more than anything, they just really wanted to make the film on a personal level, and finally decided over a decade of building up a script was enough.

(No, I'm not suggesting that means the script is weak. I'm saying they probably looked at each other and said, "This is a solid script, we've all poured input into it for years, and no amount of endless tinkering is likely to improve it dramatically from where it's at--let's just go with it and do what we've been wanting to do for the last decade.")

Or... they coulda made the damn thing in 94, not have to worry about age differences, not have to worry about it being a "comeback." Let's face it. They greenlit Last Crusade. If they greenlit that piece of ****, anything else they coulda greenlit at the time couldn't possibly have been much worse. I think they were just wanking around for the sake of the fans. Give 'em some hope... I strongly doubt they had much intent to actually make a film otherwise it would have been made years ago.

No Ticket

ResidentAlien said:
Or... they coulda made the damn thing in 94, not have to worry about age differences, not have to worry about it being a "comeback." Let's face it. They greenlit Last Crusade. If they greenlit that piece of ****, anything else they coulda greenlit at the time couldn't possibly have been much worse. I think they were just wanking around for the sake of the fans. Give 'em some hope... I strongly doubt they had much intent to actually make a film otherwise it would have been made years ago.

I don't think it had anything to do with "wanking around for the sake of the fans." I think that in 94, they definitely did not want to make another Jones film because it was still too close to LC and they had been there and done that. I do think that a script was worked on (probably more so in the late 90s early new millennium), with the intent to MAYBE make it. They waited around and waited and finally at the last moment decided... hell, let's do it.

The fans probably never came into mind at all when deciding on making this. It was whether or not they felt like doing it again. They knew people would want to see it.

Zorg

Well, the expectations of the fans (and the general public too, it seems according to polls) are high. Of course some of us will walk out of the theater disappointed after seeing KotCS.

But for me at least the first time seeing a film isn't always the definitive one. Especially in the case of something as eagerly anticipated as KotCS is, I'd say the film needs a little time to grow on us, despite how well it does on the box office or how it's received by the critics.

All I'm saying is, sure we're going the get some "What a pile of ****" reviews of the film next May, but since it's been 18 years I'd like everyone to give the film time. After all this anticipation we just can't go see KotCS "blank" as we should do every time we see a new movie.

So come May, I at least will try to forget all these discussions and opinions I've read and try to see the film open-minded, just going along the ride and letting them entertain me.

chapter11

ResidentAlien said:
Or... they coulda made the damn thing in 94, not have to worry about age differences, not have to worry about it being a "comeback." Let's face it. They greenlit Last Crusade. If they greenlit that piece of ****, anything else they coulda greenlit at the time couldn't possibly have been much worse.

Hey, some of us like Last Crusade!

ResidentAlien said:
I think they were just wanking around for the sake of the fans. Give 'em some hope... I strongly doubt they had much intent to actually make a film otherwise it would have been made years ago.

As conspiracy theories go, that's one of the weaker ones you're likely to see.

chapter11

ResidentAlien said:
You're entitled.

I just meant I think a lot of people would be pleased if Indy 4 were as good as Last Crusade. We'd all love a new Raiders, but Last Crusade has its considerable strong points.

Alexandria

Wow, it seems that we all are armchair directors and writers. Can we just decide to not knock it before we see it. We may know a lot about the directors and writers of the movie, and the past flops, and victories. My point is it's too early to judge now.
We can only go by what we've heard from the head people themselves. Trust me, they want it to be good, just like you do. If the movie is a stinker, people won't see it, and that's bad for them. I remember Steven saying "I don't want the 4 Indiana Jones film to leave a bad taste in anybody's mouth."
So all we can do is wait, hope, and pray. Oh, and let Steven know what we want. I think he'd be interested in knowing how we feel. Hey, guys, is there any way to do that? Maybe on the Official site? Anyone have ideas?

"Oh, and let Steven know what we want. I think he'd be interested in knowing how we feel. "
Spielburg doesn't give a rats ass about the fans, just so long as they mouth-breath their way into the theatre and plonk down their hard early $$ for whatever POS movie he's cranked out of late....

*edit... so "Ass" isn't banned but "Pen!s" is?!?!? That's really FK'd up!

Alexandria

ClintonHammond said:
"Oh, and let Steven know what we want. I think he'd be interested in knowing how we feel. "
Spielburg doesn't give a rats ass about the fans, just so long as they mouth-breath their way into the theatre and plonk down their hard early $$ for whatever POS movie he's cranked out of late....

*edit... so "Ass" isn't banned but "Pen!s" is?!?!? That's really FK'd up!
It was an idea, and I just going on what he has SAID. Not trying to make anything up. Maybe we should look into it before name-calling, and assuming things. :( Once we know the man himself we can't know, can we? I'm going by what I've seen and heard, and not jumping to the nearest cynical thought that pops into my head. Hey, I know it's a gamble to watch a movie these days, not knowing whether I'll like it or not. I'm just as concerned as anyone here about it being good. I just want to put a more positive spin on it based on what I've heard. If Steven said what he did, and doesn't deliever then, you know what, I won't support the film.(n) Easy as that. :whip:
I'm not going to let it ruin my day though. any one want to back me up here. I'm secure in my view :) but does anyone agree with me?

Mike00spy

ClintonHammond said:

Wow, its shocking that someone in the movie business actually wants money for what he does. I wasn't aware that directors were all in this for free. I suppose you work for free, too.

Why so negative?

POS Movies that he's cranked out of late? Okay, you have your opinion, of course.

His last 10 movies per IMDB

Munich 7.8
War Worlds 6.6
Terminal 7.1
Catch Me 7.7
Minority R 7.7
AI 6.8
Private Ryan 8.4 (#64 of all Time)
Amistad 7.0
Lost World 5.7
S. List 8.8 (#6 all time)

You may hate some, all of those movies. They are generally well liked.

"They are generally well liked."
And what does that matter a hill of beans? What the "general population" likes?!?! Oh please.... The "General Population" likes pop-music and junk food too.... doesn't make either one 'good'

Mike00spy said:
Wow, its shocking that someone in the movie business actually wants money for what he does. I wasn't aware that directors were all in this for free. I suppose you work for free, too.

Why so negative?

POS Movies that he's cranked out of late? Okay, you have your opinion, of course.

His last 10 movies per IMDB

Munich 7.8
War Worlds 6.6
Terminal 7.1
Catch Me 7.7
Minority R 7.7
AI 6.8
Private Ryan 8.4 (#64 of all Time)
Amistad 7.0
Lost World 5.7
S. List 8.8 (#6 all time)

You may hate some, all of those movies. They are generally well liked.

Ah yes because the remake of 3:10 to Yuma is the 165th greatest film ever made.

In conclusion--the public's opinion means jack-****in-****.

Vendetta08

Most directors and producers are money hungry whores, I don't want Spielberg to go down that route, we've already lost turkey neck.

"Most directors and producers are money hungry whores, I don't want Spielberg to go down that route"

Too late... He went down that route a LONG time ago!

Alexandria

It is way too trendy to be cynical. Just my two cents. Do directors like to make money, yes, it's kind of thier job. Do we choose what we watch, yes. It's not a huge deal to me if I see a movie I don't really like. I just don't buy or rent the movie when it comes out. It seems like we get too easily bent out of shape sometimes. (n) It's sad really. :( So what is the best revenge on a director for a bad movie, cut off his resources.