Indy is....WACKY?!?!

Darth Vile

MaxPhactor23,

Is that really the best your intellect can muster? Millions of years of evolution to come back with a flaccid retort about a typo? F*ck me… I wouldn’t even get out of bed for that you p**sy. Saying that, all credit to you for being able to respond on a computer without the benefit of opposable thumbs. Keep up the good work. Next trick we'll teach you is how to wipe your own arse....

Finn

Staff member
Darth Vile said:
MaxPhactor23,

Is that really the best your intellect can muster? Millions of years of evolution to come back with a flaccid retort about a typo? F*ck me? I wouldn?t even get out of bed for that you p**sy. Saying that, all credit to you for being able to respond on a computer without the benefit of opposable thumbs. Keep up the good work. Next trick we'll teach you is how to wipe your own arse....

modsos6.jpg

AlivePoet

MaxPhactor23 said:
Intellectualize*

I just felt the need to point out that you're criticizing the minds and opinions of others, bringing a whole new level of hypocrisy to your statements, but more importantly (and humorously)...you misspelled ?intellectualize.? If you?re going to condemn others because they?re trying to bring an intellect to these films, perhaps you too should at least learn to spell the very word that is the essence of your entire post. :p

Actually, "s" and "z" can be used interchangeably in such cases. Were you being serious?

The_Raiders

HAHAHAHA Finn, that pic was great! The guy in the blue shirt looks like a troll.

(guy in blue shirt if you see that sorry)

No Ticket

QBComics said:
Bet Finn knows where it is.

I've been to the secret mod hideout. I've seen it's many wonders. But unfortunately I was sworn to secrecy on pain of... well, not death. There are things in this world worse than death.

And the mods are always watching. :eek:

Indy Smith

AlivePoet said:
Actually, "s" and "z" can be used interchangeably in such cases. Were you being serious?

I wanted to add that was well tht where I come from S is used over Z in some words. I realised this when I was told realise should be spelled with a Z in my Word processor. I think attacking someones spelling as an argument for their stupidness is silly. Even smart people can suffer from dyslexia.

The subject, well isn't Indy a wacky character in that he's a 60 year old bachelor, part time teacher who has on occassion battled the Nazi's for anceint treasures. Sounds kind of wacky to me when most professors in their spare time would spend it in coffee lounges or going through National geographics.

And enough about the Smith comments! lol

ReggieSnake

I looked it up and was interested to find out that many famous people including Harrison Ford are/were dyslexic!

(Note: not trying to extend the spelling debate, just posting this because I thought it was interesting.)

* Agatha Christie, English mystery writer
* Tom Cruise, actor
* Whoopi Goldberg, actress
* Magic Johnson, athlete
* Walt Disney, founder of Disneyland, cartoonist
* Charles Schwab, founder of investment brokerage
* Thomas Edison, inventor
* Winston Churchill, former prime minister of Britain
* Leonardo Da Vinci, Renaissance artist
* Harrison Ford, actor
* Jay Leno, comedian
* Robin Williams, actor and comedian
* Albert Einstein, scientist
* Nolan Ryan, athlete
* Harry Belafonte, singer, entertainer
* Cher, entertainer, actress
* Danny Glover, actor
* Gustave Flaubert, writer
* William Hewlett, co-founder, Hewlett-Packard
* Andy Warhol, artist
* John Lennon, musician
* Ted Turner, media mogul, philanthropist
* George Burns, actor, comedian
* Alexander Graham Bell, inventor
* Bruce Jenner, Olympian athlete
* George Patton, U.S. general
* Tom Smothers, comedian
* Henry Winkler, actor
* Billy Bob Thornton, actor
* Nelson Rockefeller, former governor of New York
* Woodrow Wilson, former U.S. president
* William Yeats, poet
* Hans Christian Anderson, author
* Orlando Bloom, actor
* Keanu Reeves, actor and musician
* Jamie Oliver, chef
* Lara Flynn Boyle, actress
* George Herbert Walker Bush - 41st U.S. President
* George Walker Bush - 43rd US President
* Salma Hayek, actress
* Keira Knightley, actress
* Guy Ritchie, Film director and husband of Madonna
* Vince McMahon, World Wrestling Entertainment Founder
* Alyssa Milano, actress
* Patrick Dempsey, actor
* Richard Branson, English Entrepreneur, founder of Virgin brand

Source: http://www.dyslexiamentor.com/famousdyslexics.php

Alexandria

I think we're being a little too critical with this new Indy movie. If we go into the theater like Simon Cowell for Indy, than we won't relax enough to enjoy the movie. :( I'm personally excited for the movie, and can't wait to take my friends along and see it. :D

Alexandria said:
I think we're being a little too critical with this new Indy movie. If we go into the theater like Simon Cowell for Indy, than we won't relax enough to enjoy the movie :D

Well said. When I see it for the first time, I'm going to steer well clear of anyone who's trousers are pulled up too high.

Indy Smith

Alexandria said:
I think we're being a little too critical with this new Indy movie. If we go into the theater like Simon Cowell for Indy, than we won't relax enough to enjoy the movie. :( I'm personally excited for the movie, and can't wait to take my friends along and see it. :D

Best comment ever! it's Indiana Jones, not the f***ing Ken Loach :D

OmegaSeamaster

oki9Sedo said:
Fans who are that bothered by the weakness of the Star Wars prequels are only bothered that much because they simply have no life outside of those films, and thats why it matters so much. Its sad, really.

I saw Episode I once in the theatre and have never seen it since.

I skipped seeing Episodes II and III in the theatres.

Saw Episode II once on HBO. Watched it once, groaned, and that was it. Have never seen it since.

Bought a bootleg of Episode III in Shanghai the same week it hit American theatres, just to spite Lucas. Felt good. I watched it once, destroyed the disc and haven't gone back. I never will go back.

The original trilogy? I can honestly say I haven't spun my Laserdiscs since 2001 or 2002. I'll watch them again when they've been released with the respect they deserve, and if that's never, I've moved on!

So you equate giving money to charity and people who need the same as using the same amount to restoring a movie. Nice.

I'm not saying restoring sci-fi movies ranks higher than putting food in people's stomachs. I'm talking about hearing words like, "George didn't want to commit the time or resources to restoring the originals." In my opinion, when you're a billionaire, you can afford to do the right thing for everybody, on projects both serious and trivial. In addition to all his charity work, you'd think he'd just throw the die-hard fans a bone and release the original films with some measure of quality.

Congrats to Lucas the creator of jobs, the savior of the poor, etc....but a pox on the petty little man who insists it's his way or the highway regarding the movies we all grew up with. The petty dictator who refuses to see things from creative standpoints other than his own. The guy who comes up with brilliant tricks such as, "I'll release the originals in such crappy condition that nobody buys them...and that's all the plausible deniability I need to tell the world why I won't release them ever again!"

By the way, I started this thread out of a desire for spirited Lucas debate, not to start a flame war between board members. So c'mon folks, behave and let's just focus on discussion and not personal name calling, taunting and insults.

Last edited:

oki9Sedo

OmegaSeamaster said:
I saw Episode I once in the theatre and have never seen it since.

I skipped seeing Episodes II and III in the theatres.

Saw Episode II once on HBO. Watched it once, groaned, and that was it. Have never seen it since.

Bought a bootleg of Episode III in Shanghai the same week it hit American theatres, just to spite Lucas. Felt good. I watched it once, destroyed the disc and haven't gone back. I never will go back.

The original trilogy? I can honestly say I haven't spun my Laserdiscs since 2001 or 2002. I'll watch them again when they've been released with the respect they deserve, and if that's never, I've moved on!

Well then what I said doesn't apply to you, just obsessive fans who idolized the films because they had no life outside of them. If you have nothing else aside from a series of films, then of course you're going to be shattered if its even remotely disappointing.

SterankoII

Lucas never created Star Wars for grownups so it's right that they should move on.

The prequels as a whole aren't as good but there are moments in them that are as good as anything in the original trilogy. Stuff like in TPM when the fight against Darth Maul moves from the hangar to the big generator room. The first time Yoda pulls back his cloak to reveal a lightsaber in AOTC and Obi-Wan watching Anakin burn in ROTS.

Anyway back to the whole "whacky" thing. Do people honestly think that is Indy is what archaeologists are like in real life?

MaxPhactor23

SterankoII said:
Lucas never created Star Wars for grownups so it's right that they should move on.

The prequels as a whole aren't as good but there are moments in them that are as good as anything in the original trilogy. Stuff like in TPM when the fight against Darth Maul moves from the hangar to the big generator room. The first time Yoda pulls back his cloak to reveal a lightsaber in AOTC and Obi-Wan watching Anakin burn in ROTS.

Anyway back to the whole "whacky" thing. Do people honestly think that is Indy is what archaeologists are like in real life?

Firstly, I disagree completely with just about everything you said. No offence meant of course.

The argument that Star Wars isn’t meant for adults has never really made logical sense to me. The entite Star Wars saga has never appeared to be directed toward solely one denomination. Elements of Star Wars are blatantly aimed at one type of consumer, Jar Jar Binks and Ewoks come to mind. But as a whole? If you ask me, it can be universally appreciated by all. It has elements for children, but it also carries a linear story that consists of very adult and archetypical themes. That’s collectively attractive. The Phantom Menace was mostly made more appealing to children, Lucas has stated as much, but I don’t think you can say that stands with the others. For all intensive purposes, Revenge of the Sith was rated PG-13. That’s not just kids stuff.

I’m not one to claim that Lucas raped my childhood, but the prequels were sub par at best. Of course they consist of some enjoyable moments, at least from my perspective. They weren’t altogether worthless. But in the long run, I see the prequels as more hurting the story and depth of Star Wars then they ever helped. Darth Maul was great, I agree there. What wasn’t was that he was the beginning of a long run of expendable marketing ploy villains. He was utterly wasted. The mans profile was everywhere you looked during the summer of 1999, and then you walk out of the theater and what were you given? Three lines of dialogue, a total of a half hour screen time (if even,) and then his untimely demise. Darth Maul, we hardly knew thee. Yoda igniting his light saber is one of my least favorite moments in the entire saga. Long gone was the wise and endearing Jedi master, instead gave way to simply eye-candy and cheap violent visuals. For my side of things, I think Yoda using a light saber completely goes against the established character, but that’s me. And to be quite honest, I found the wild jumping and flips flat out ridiculous for an elderly green midget in need of a cane. Then, I actually enjoyed the mutilation scene, but for all the wrong reasons. Watching Hayden Christenson be savagely mauled by lava and flame…is a dream come true. I cannot tell you how many times I've pictured Hayden in agonizing pain. Heh! I even legitimately enjoyed the scene up until Anakin feels the need to ludicrously shout “I HATE YOU!” Was that really necessary? It completely ruined the drama for me. I still recall the muffled chuckles I heard on opening night. Screaming I can understand, for Christ sake the man is burning alive, but coherent yet ever so poor dialogue? Come on…

Last edited:

SterankoII

I really should have put IMO at the end of my last post.

They do appeal to adults but they mean more to kids. I don't hear people say "George Lucas raped my adulthood!" Do you really need Star Wars as an adult the way you did as a kid? I see these grown up fans disappointed in the prequels and LOTR fans the same age rejoicing over the much more popular Peter Jackson movie adaptations which I admit was well made but they might as well be saying "Yay! Now future generations will no longer be able to imagine their own versions of Tolkien's world and characters the way we got to!"

We're an incredibly selfish generation.

oki9Sedo

ReggieSnake said:
I looked it up and was interested to find out that many famous people including Harrison Ford are/were dyslexic!

(Note: not trying to extend the spelling debate, just posting this because I thought it was interesting.)

* Agatha Christie, English mystery writer
* Tom Cruise, actor
* Whoopi Goldberg, actress
* Magic Johnson, athlete
* Walt Disney, founder of Disneyland, cartoonist
* Charles Schwab, founder of investment brokerage
* Thomas Edison, inventor
* Winston Churchill, former prime minister of Britain
* Leonardo Da Vinci, Renaissance artist
* Harrison Ford, actor
* Jay Leno, comedian
* Robin Williams, actor and comedian
* Albert Einstein, scientist
* Nolan Ryan, athlete
* Harry Belafonte, singer, entertainer
* Cher, entertainer, actress
* Danny Glover, actor
* Gustave Flaubert, writer
* William Hewlett, co-founder, Hewlett-Packard
* Andy Warhol, artist
* John Lennon, musician
* Ted Turner, media mogul, philanthropist
* George Burns, actor, comedian
* Alexander Graham Bell, inventor
* Bruce Jenner, Olympian athlete
* George Patton, U.S. general
* Tom Smothers, comedian
* Henry Winkler, actor
* Billy Bob Thornton, actor
* Nelson Rockefeller, former governor of New York
* Woodrow Wilson, former U.S. president
* William Yeats, poet
* Hans Christian Anderson, author
* Orlando Bloom, actor
* Keanu Reeves, actor and musician
* Jamie Oliver, chef
* Lara Flynn Boyle, actress
* George Herbert Walker Bush - 41st U.S. President
* George Walker Bush - 43rd US President
* Salma Hayek, actress
* Keira Knightley, actress
* Guy Ritchie, Film director and husband of Madonna
* Vince McMahon, World Wrestling Entertainment Founder
* Alyssa Milano, actress
* Patrick Dempsey, actor
* Richard Branson, English Entrepreneur, founder of Virgin brand

Source: http://www.dyslexiamentor.com/famousdyslexics.php

There's no stigma attached to being dyslexic anymore, thank God.

MaxPhactor23

SterankoII said:
I really should have put IMO at the end of my last post.

They do appeal to adults but they mean more to kids. I don't hear people say "George Lucas raped my adulthood!" Do you really need Star Wars as an adult the way you did as a kid? I see these grown up fans disappointed in the prequels and LOTR fans the same age rejoicing over the much more popular Peter Jackson movie adaptations which I admit was well made but they might as well be saying "Yay! Now future generations will no longer be able to imagine their own versions of Tolkien's world and characters the way we got to!"

We're an incredibly selfish generation.

Well, do we really need Star Wars at all? Of course we don’t. If you’re properly prioritized, Star Wars is a hobby. It’s entertainment, not a lifestyle. You won’t see me dressing up in Jedi garb for an eventful trip to Denny’s. People become obsessive, and that’s never healthy.

Secondly, of course future generations can imagine Tolkien the way they so chose. The movies are an interpretation, the books are something else entirely. Who says the books have been rendered obsolete? That’s ridiculous. There are great big portions of the books that don’t even appear in the films. It’s no different then any other book to film scenario. You simply have more medium options to chose from. Just because I viewed the films doesn’t mean that I see book Théoden, for example, as Bernard Hill.

Finally, I don’t understand how this is all selfish. With all due respect, that’s an illogical statement. Is it selfish to want to be entertained? I think that’s quite reasonable, especially if we‘re paying money for the entertainment. Is it selfish to make a film from a book? We’ve been doing it for numerous decades, it's not this generation, it didn’t start with Lord of the Rings. If you’re implying that it’s selfish to re-imagine Tolkien’s books, I say that it’s as simple as not everything being appropriate for the silver screen. For as much as I personally do like Tom Bombadil, do you think he'd have worked on film? What about all the jolly singing? Do you honestly think that could be seen as highbrow drama in todays society? I see nothing selfish about it. The books will always be what they are, the films are just one mans version. Tolkien’s masterpiece's are still intact and available in literally almost every single book store known to man, including numerous editions and copies, Peter Jackson didn't burn them.

Last edited: