Jurassic World

Lambonius

I actually liked The Lost World novel better than the original Jurassic Park, but the movie version is just so, so stripped down from the novel that it really ruins it for me. And the T-Rex-in-the-city bit at the end feels like nothing more than absurd self-indulgence on the part of the film-makers.

I also find JP3 to be the less offensive of the two sequels, if for no other reason than it knows what it's trying to be and owns it. It certainly doesn't touch the original film, but it isn't bastardizing an extremely good book the way TLW did either. So for me, it works. :)

Duaner

Saw Jurassic World today. I highly enjoyed it. It is better than both the Lost World and Jurassic Park III by far.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Frank Marshall: "No… I don’t know. You know, when Crichton passed away, I sorta felt maybe that’s it. Maybe that’s a sign that we don’t mess with it."
A lot changed between 2008 and today. Most of the changes occurred between last week and today. Zero reviews were filed and fanboys were still carping. Today the silence is palpable.

There's a powerful 20 year cycle that sends people back to theaters for revivals. It worked for Indy and Frozen. Also sicence-y suspended objects like in Gravity just have to be seen in Imax 3D I guess.

Kooshmeister

Saw this and loved it! (y)

It was everything I hoped it'd be. Far better than the tremendous misfire that was The Lost World and the waste of time that was Jurassic Park III. It hit all the right spots. It was exciting when it was supposed to be exciting, funny when it was supposed to be funny, scary when it was supposed to scary, etc.

Standout sequences without spoiling too much included the I-rex's escape from her paddock, the kids in the gyrosphere with the I-rex attempting to swallow them, the sequence wherein the helicopter fights the I-rex and the pterodactyls and pteranodons, the I-rex versus the InGen ACU team, anything having to do with Owen and the raptors, and, of course, that glorious, glorious ending sequence, full of fanwank though it was. Best theater experience I've had in a while.

Spoiler time!

I felt really terrible for Nick, the poor Oreo-munching worker who picked the worst hiding spot imaginable during the I-rex escape (he may as well have been out in the open). The film really milked his terror as the dinosaur sniffed him out. Then there was the much-discussed over-the-top demise of Claire's assistant Zara. Holy crap did the universe hate that poor woman. But no scene affected me as much as when Owen and Claire find the dying brontosaurus and sit with it as it dies. I cried and I'm not ashamed to admit it. I honestly thought Owen was gonna Old Yeller the poor thing with his rifle for a minute. And of course I got misty-eyed when Blue made her triumphant return at the end to help out against the I-rex in the final battle. Yay! She was one kickass raptor and I'm glad she made it.

The Wal-Mart in Smithfield had an appreciable amount of Jurassic World toys, including, to my delight, the six-wheeled Mercedes-Benz G 63 (a total of three in fact). Even though it wasn't used very much in the film, it's still a very cool-looking vehicle, and it was a steal at just $14.

I was still pumped from having seen the film so I nabbed it.

This movie was definitely worth the wait, sez I! (y)

Pale Horse

Staff member
Moderator Note

Come one everyone. Let's put a little effort into our posts.

Merely linking HTTPS stories does little to contribute to our forum. At least try to make your posts look more like this, if you want to share a story.

Yes feat, I'm calling you out, but you're not the only offender.

Cool. I'm glad I could share an entertaining, split review on an off-topic topic with other fans here on another slow Indiana Jones news day...month...year...

Kooshmeister

Pale Horse said:
Come one everyone. Let's put a little effort into our posts.

Merely linking HTTPS stories does little to contribute to our forum. At least try to make your posts look more like this, if you want to share a story.

I did. I actually discussed the movie and what I remembered from it. :D

Sea Monarch

Just went to this for the second time last night. I originally went to the premiere pre-screening on a Thur night with friends and had a great time. One of those rare crowd pleasers where the audience collectively cheered at the end of the film! But most of my friends only wanted to see it in 2D, so last night was my last chance to see it in Big D 3D on the largest screen possible where I live. It was totally worth seeing again, and almost as enjoyable as the first, but what made it really fun was that it was part 2 of a double billing creature feature.

You see, before the late showing of "Jurassic World", I went to the TCM screening of "Jaws", remastered for it's 40th Anniversary! As good as JWorld is , Jaws was even more fun. And although some of the re-release movies my theater has screened have had semi-low attendance, Jaws was packed! Even on a Wed night! Even though I own it and have seen it before, I actually jumped in three different scenes! :eek: :) Now that's a movie that holds up well. These movies were not paired together, we simply made our own double feature.
My apologies for the slight diversion, but thought I'd mention it, especially since Jaws begat Jurassic Park and World. Not to mention, the blockbuster in general.

It also made the scene in Jurrasic World with the Dino-Croc eating the shark, even funnier!(y)

Duaner

Sea Monarch said:
These movies were not paired together, we simply made our own double feature.

That sounds like a great way to spend an evening. None of my local theaters are showing "Jaws" otherwise I would have been there even though I own it and have seen it 50+ times. Nothing beats the big screen!

Sea Monarch

Duaner said:
That sounds like a great way to spend an evening. None of my local theaters are showing "Jaws" otherwise I would have been there even though I own it and have seen it 50+ times. Nothing beats the big screen!

Yeah, I own the 25th and 30th Anniversary editions, and have seen it many times as well. Luckily, I had taken a few years away from it, making it very fresh and new again, especially on the big screen. Now I wanna visit the Jaws thread.

Segueing back to Jurassic World, I hope the Blu-Ray release has a wider aspect ratio than the previous releases of the Jurassic trilogy. Although I doubt it will be the case as I've heard that Spielberg prefers the flat screen or smaller aspect/ratio. Which puzzles me, as his early works, such as Jaws and Close Encounters make great use of the widescreen. Also puzzling, considering how influenced he is by David Lean's sweeping epics.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Sea Monarch said:
his early works, such as Jaws and Close Encounters make great use of the widescreen.
Sharks and saucers are wide, dinosaurs and tripods are tall. That's why Spielberg didn't go anamorphic.

Kooshmeister

Now that I've got it on DVD I guess it isn't quite as good as I thought it was. But overall a decent time-waster. Reminds me a lot of an Irwin Allen movie.

Best sequence though was this:

obvZFc.gif

XhWUBy.gif

KH2FP4.gif

Tk3ImJ.gif

Other sequences were cool and all, especially the ending battle and the Pteranodon attack, but this was when it felt closest to the original film to me. Owen narrowly making it out the closing door and then him and Nick (the supervisor) hiding by the vehicles as the I-rex stalks them, hunting and sniffing and lots of tense, claustrophobic closeups, even though it takes place out in the open during broad daylight. The actual sequence of events leading up to them going through the door escape was kind of iffy (them entering the paddock at all being my biggest problem), but this one bit here which I've gifed was the time I felt the most tense. It really reminded me of the original T-rex attack.

Indy86

The I-Rex bothered me. A home-cooked dinosaur, really? Trained and obeying Raptors? That's asking for trouble. The final battle was alright but it took me a little too long for the return of the Rex. Despite being the female Rex, it roars like the male rex. They must've switched whatever is inside those robots for JPIII. The female Rex roars better in the first movie, the male Rex sounds like he maybe smoked too much.

I don't know what it is. I don't like Pratt and this was the first movie I saw him in. Terrible acting by Bryce Dallas Howard, I expect more from her, despite the character she played. Too busy to deal with kids, unexperienced with them and those two other crewmembers were way too geeky.

Before Jurassic World, I had seen Mad Max in the theatre and I was blown away compared to JW.