Can we get Indy around the globe ?

Stoo

Penultimate Pictures of Indy in Malta

"Getting dizzy from the walk and everything is blurry. Gotta rest before I fall down but a place in the shade would be nice. Valetta is behind me, across the Grand Harbour in the background, so I've got a long way to go. The sun is beating down and I'm not dressed right for this kind of weather."

Indy_Malta_Rinella_14.jpg

"Aaah, this spot is better but I have to be careful not to fall over the edge...Time to eat the dried BACON sandwich I have in my luggage. I find...that if I just sit down and think..."

Indy_Malta_Rinella_16.jpg

"FELL...off the edge...It hurts...Marion, I need you..."

Indy_Malta_Rinella_17.jpg

Montana Smith said:
Everywhere is a long walk when you're less than four inches tall! :p
It took me 3 hours to walk back and I'm 6 feet tall. Anyone out there care to do the math for a 3-4 inch Indy?:p
Montana Smith said:
Reminds me of the voice in The Infernal Machine every time Indy picks up some "'erbs". Indy's getting a little blurry recently, has he been partaking of the 'erbs? Everything around him is crystal clear! Better check his suitcase before he has to go through the next customs check...
Red Maltese Skunk weed. Brutal! So nasty that Indy dumped his stash in the Grand Harbour. A customs check won't be a problem.:p

Montana Smith

Stoo said:
"FELL...off the edge...It hurts...Marion, I need you..."

Indy_Malta_Rinella_17.jpg

:D

Stoo said:
It took me 3 hours to walk back and I'm 6 feet tall. Anyone out there care to do the math for a 3-4 inch Indy?:p

About 54 hours! :eek:

Stoo said:
Red Maltese Skunk weed. Brutal! So nasty that Indy dumped his stash in the Grand Harbour. A customs check won't be a problem.:p

Back on the cactus juice instead, I see! :sick:

Billy Ray

Indy will be taking a trip to the bazzare today, hopefully he doesn't encounter any sword wielding thugs :gun:

Stoo

Goodbye Malta

"I'm still pulling out cactus needles but finally made it back to Valetta. That was a long walk but nothing I can't handle."

Indy_Malta_Valetta_20.jpg

"Goodbye, Malta. It's been fun."

Indy_Malta_Valetta_21.jpg

Only a few more Swiss photos from me and then I'm done.:D

Billy Ray

Well, I am heading to out to spend some quality time with Indy. Hope to get as many shots as possible so I can get him in the mail within the next couple of days.

Billy Ray said:
Well, I am heading to out to spend some quality time with Indy. Hope to get as many shots as possible so I can get him in the mail within the next couple of days.
Looking forward to your pics! What are you waiting for!

I'm heading south in two weeks, how long does it take to get things off base and back to the States? I'm just guessing, but it seemed like it took less than a week to get it to you...

Billy Ray

I've been waiting for Stoo to finish posting his pics.

I'm going to try to get him in the mail tomorrow. It shouldn't take longer than two weeks to get there.

Indy got to go on a surprise trip this evening...can't wait to post those pics!

InexorableTash

It turns out that I'll be in Hawai'i (various islands, including Kauai) mid-to-late July, if we want to shuffle Indy's itinerary so he can tag along (and possibly revisit old haunts).

The challenge is that he'd have to arrive in SF by the 9th to make the flight.

Sorry for the late notice - my wife surprised me with the trip today. I suspect we won't be able to pull it off, but thought I'd put the offer out there just in case.

InexorableTash

Focus! Focus!

BTW, I haven't tried this myself, but there's a software technique called "focus stacking" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Focus_stacking) which allows you to combine images taken of the same subjects with different focal depths to achieve a greater depth of field.

So... assuming you're trying to make get shots like Stoo, and if you can use a tripod (a big if) and if you can stabilize Indy (an even bigger if!), take a photograph with Indy in focus, and another with the background in focus, and we should be able to combine them to get a single image with both in focus.

(The algorithm is actually ridiculously simple, but there is also off-the-shelf software to do it.)

Stoo

Indiana Jones and the Ticking Clock of Vauseyon - Part 1

Le Gor-du-Vauseyon, Switzerland...

"Forgot to get something the last time I was in La Suisse! It's important and if I miss my rendez-vous with Jock at the lake, I'll have to find another way to Afghanistan. There are GIANT alpine marmots around and I don't have any weapons so I sharpened this branch with my pocket knife in case one decides to attack.

This water chute feeds the Vauseyon water mill...Should lead me to where I need to go. Just hope the thing doesn't break..."

Indy_Switz_Neuchatel_20-1.jpg

"Uh-Oh! I slipped!"

Indy_Switz_Neuchatel_21-1.jpg

"Must...grab hold of that...sluice gate!"

Indy_Switz_Neuchatel_22.jpg

Billy Ray said:
I think I will wait till I have enough images to attempt some sort of narrative. Right now, they are just kind of all over the place.
That's what I did - take the photos and make up the story later. Thanks for holding off, Billy Ray...plus the wait creates extra suspense!;)
Rocket Surgeon said:
I'm just guessing, but it seemed like it took less than a week to get it to you...
Pretty sure it took 9 days (if Saboteur mailed him on the 14th).
Inexorable Tash said:
...if you can stabilize Indy (an even bigger if!)
For the above shots, Indy was being held by the tip of his toe and I was trembling with fear that I'd lose him. DANGER!:eek:

Last edited:

Billy Ray

Almost all my shots have been "run and gun", usually holding Indy in my hand. I was fortunate enough to be able to use our shop camera though. Some shots had to be quick and dirty because I wasn't necessarily sure if I was allowed to be photgraphing what I was photographing. Despite this, I still managed to get some pretty decent shots, as did a few of my compadres. Sometimes I was able to get Indy on a stable surface though.

I did get chased off by some Marines yesterday, trying to get a pic at their ammo compound. It was a drive by photo, but they yelled at me and I was thoroughly convinced that they were in the truck behind me, but I managed to escape capture ;) Actually, in retrospect, I'm pretty sure they didn't chase me, but at the time I wasn't.

There a a few more shots I would like to try to get today and then I will get him off in the mail this afternoon.

Montana Smith

Lance Quazar said:
^Wow. Incredible.

Stoo, get yourself in gear! Finish up so we can see Billy Ray's work!!!

Stoo's photos and descriptions are great, but the suspense is killing! Like Spalko I want to see everything, but all good things come to those who... ;)

Billy Ray

Due to circumstances beyond my control, Indy will be spending one more night in Afghanistan...thanks Taliban! Will get him in the mail tomorrow if it kills me (no pun intended). Gotta say, it will be somewhat sad to see him go, we've really enjoyed having him :(

Stoo

Indiana Jones and the Ticking Clock of Vauseyon - Part 2

"Managed to grab hold without dropping my pointed stick! Gotta really move now...Jock's watch is ticking."

Indy_Switz_Neuchatel_23.jpg

"Ah, good! I can see the mill house ahead. Running out of time and can't afford another fumble..."

Indy_Switz_Neuchatel_24.jpg

"I ran too fast and overshot the end of the chute. This rope is my only hope!"

Indy_Switz_Neuchatel_26.jpg

"UNGH! The wet rope slipped from my hands and I landed on my back. Things aren't as easy as they used to be...Going over so I better think fast!"

Indy_Switz_Neuchatel_27.jpg

Billy Ray said:
I did get chased off by some Marines yesterday, trying to get a pic at their ammo compound. It was a drive by photo, but they yelled at me and I was thoroughly convinced that they were in the truck behind me, but I managed to escape capture ;) Actually, in retrospect, I'm pretty sure they didn't chase me, but at the time I wasn't.
Ha! As Mr. Round would say, "Vewy funny!".:D Sounds like Indy is having a real adventure over there and your updates are appreciated. Prepare to start posting very soon.:)
Lance Quazar said:
^Wow. Incredible.

Stoo, get yourself in gear! Finish up so we can see Billy Ray's work!!!
Thanks again, Lance. Busy weekend but I'll try to finish up by tonight. Anyway, you forgot the whip emoticon!:D:whip:
Montana Smith said:
Stoo's photos and descriptions are great, but the suspense is killing! Like Spalko I want to see everything, but all good things come to those who...
Indeed, the suspense is excrutiating so I'm in a mad dash to complete my run. Patience, my friends, patience...;)
Rocket Surgeon said:
Some very nice inventive shots...the bar has been raised!
Thanks, bud. They are some of my favourites and were taken on the extra weekend I had after discovering that Indy couldn't be sent directly to Billy Ray. Had there been no problem with the mailing, this final Swiss adventure would not exist!

Hopefully, he'll make it Stateside as soon as possible...

Stoo

Indiana Jones and the Ticking Clock of Vauseyon - Part 3

"What luck! What stupendous and imperial luck! Saved by a hanging vine!"

Indy_Switz_Neuchatel_28.jpg

"All I have to do is climb down and I'll be in a good spot to reach the prize. Not much time left before Jock takes off!"

Indy_Switz_Neuchatel_29.jpg

"I can see it in the recess of that niche of the cliff wall! If enough momentum is achieved, this vine will swing like a clock's pendulum and I can grab it."

Indy_Switz_Neuchatel_30.jpg

Inexorable Tash said:
It turns out that I'll be in Hawai'i (various islands, including Kauai) mid-to-late July, if we want to shuffle Indy's itinerary so he can tag along (and possibly revisit old haunts).

The challenge is that he'd have to arrive in SF by the 9th to make the flight.

Sorry for the late notice - my wife surprised me with the trip today. I suspect we won't be able to pull it off, but thought I'd put the offer out there just in case.
Nice surprise! Hawai'i sounds great but it might screw with Rocket's plans. We'll have to wait to hear what Inky thinks, for he is the ultimate Master & Commander.
Inexoarable Tash said:
BTW, I haven't tried this myself, but there's a software technique called "focus stacking" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Focus_stacking) which allows you to combine images taken of the same subjects with different focal depths to achieve a greater depth of field.

So... assuming you're trying to make get shots like Stoo, and if you can use a tripod (a big if) and if you can stabilize Indy (an even bigger if!), take a photograph with Indy in focus, and another with the background in focus, and we should be able to combine them to get a single image with both in focus.

(The algorithm is actually ridiculously simple, but there is also off-the-shelf software to do it.)
While the results would probably be spectacular, that's cheating!:p Regardless, if someone has the chance to give it a whirl, I say, "Go for it!".

(Sorry that most of my Malta pics were a fuzzy mess. Bit of a let-down...:( Guerilla-style shots aren't that pleasing to the eye but at least they are PROOF that Indy was there!:D)

Stoo

Deleted Shot!

Since a rush was in demand, I forgot to incorporate a photo from this angle!:mad: You whip-cracking b*stards, it's all your fault!:p:whip:

Indy_Switz_Neuchatel_25.jpg

"Indiana Jones and the Ticking Clock of Vauseyon" will continue in a moment...

Billy Ray

Well Indy has left Afghanistan for New Jersey. It was certianly sad to see him go. As one of my team mates here said, there is a 4" hole in my heart:(

The P.O. said it should take 7-10 days to reach NJ.

Took a few last minute shots this morning. Let me know when I can being posting Stoo.

Montana Smith

Billy Ray said:
Well Indy has left Afghanistan for New Jersey. It was certianly sad to see him go. As one of my team mates here said, there is a 4
" hole in my heart:(

That's really touching. You guys must be fairly homesick out there. :(

At least mini-Indy managed to take your mind off things for a little while! :hat: