Can we get Indy around the globe ?

Stoo

inky_skin said:
Really ? What was it ?
A gold ring which once belonged to the Shah Shuja of Afghanistan. There's an inscription on it. How did an Afghan ring get to the Sailor's church in Montreal?

A French Catholic priest, entombed in the church, was once a Canadian Voyageur. The Voyageurs so impressed the British Gen. Wolseley during his 1870 Red River Expedition, that he hired them as boatmen for the river column in the "attempt" to save besieged General Gordon in Khartoum in the Sudan, 1884-85. The priest saved the life of a Gordon Highlander who almost drowned in a cataract on the Nile. This soldier had served in Afghanistan a few years earlier but the ring was an heirloom from his grandfather. His grandad was an officer who had 'creatively acquired' it from the Shah in the late 1830s during the events leading up to the 1st Anglo-Afghan War (1839-1842). The ring was bestowed as a gift upon the man who saved the Highlander's life.

Indy found the priest's crypt, broke it open and stole the ring! (I actually made a mini-gold ring/bracelet out of a gold twist-tie but never used it in a photo. Don't know why...)
inky_skin said:
Indiana Jones: Helping people get laid since 1936 ;)
O.K. I'm not kidding...It happened again a few more times. Most notably: A sophisticated lady walking her dog; a cute, giggling redhead who was passing by on the steps; and a group of Sicilian girls in Malta. WTF?:confused:

UPDATE: DELAY! Indy is all packaged and ready to go but the Swiss Post Office doesn't know what to do with the address Billy Ray provided me with since it is a U.S. Army Post Office address. The mail has to go through Germany first but the address is rather cryptic. (Fine for mailing from The States but not from La Suisse.:() I've PMed Billy Ray and am doing my own research so hopefully we can get things worked out A.S.A.P.!

I must admit, I kept him a few days longer than promised. The main reason being, I really wanted to get a shot of the Alps but never got the chance to get close and the weather conditions have been obscuring the view from here.:( Will have to wait for Indy in Austria with Keith/DoomTown!
Billy Ray said:
Indy will definitely find plenty of adventure here...things have been quite adventurous as of late.
Cannot wait to see Indy if Afghanistan, Billy Ray! Indy is suffocating in the envelope but at least it's more comfortable than carbonite.:)

NickTurner

Fantastic job Stoo! This is a really enjoyable thread and I can't wait to see where Indy gets to next!(y)

Don't really know what else to say but I had to chime in with something!! Oh, it's great to see you weaving in a little history - very Indy appropriate! Hope I can think of something when it's my turn.

Stoo

Indy's Last Dance in Montreal

"Gotta get back to the hotel...Early flight on SwanAir to catch tomorrow mor - What the HELL is this?...Can't get out that way!"

Indy_Canada_Montreal_21.jpg

@AlivePoet: The re-faced section of Jeanne-Mance street. Close to the spot where you & I were within 100 feet of each other at the Ben Harper concert last summer! I paid a visit to the beer stand next to the screen you were watching. Remember?
NickTurner said:
Oh, it's great to see you weaving in a little history - very Indy appropriate! Hope I can think of something when it's my turn.
It's everyone's chance to show off their territory! If some history can be 'weaved' in, all the better. Having some kind of continuing narrative to connect all the locations would be a bonus!:cool:

I agree with you, Nick. Can't wait to see where Indy ends up next.:D In the meantime (to fill the gap while he reaches Billy Ray) I've got plenty of new Swiss & Maltese photos to share.

AlivePoet

Stoo said:
@AlivePoet: The re-faced section of Jeanne-Mance street. Close to the spot where you & I were within 100 feet of each other at the Ben Harper concert last summer! I paid a visit to the beer stand next to the screen you were watching. Remember?

Absolutely remember, I can't forget that night. Best part of the concert was his Queen (I think "Under Pressure"?) encore. The rest of the night is, well, history. :cool:

Stoo

Dilemma!

inky_skin said:
Onwards ! And remember, a journey is not an adventure until something goes wrong...
Well, we have problem now. After reading some more about mailing Indy to Billy Ray in Afghanistan, the envelope HAS to go to the U.S. FIRST! All mail must go through the United States Postal Service where packages are scanned before being sent on to the Army Post Office. Unfortunate!:(

http://www.bootsonground.com/usps-shipping-faq.htm
http://www.bootsonground.com/online-purchasing.htm

Billy Ray said to skip him if the situation was a problem but it would be a real shame to do that. Maybe I could mail Indy to someone in the States who could forward him to Billy Ray in time? The info I read said it takes mail 7-21 days to get to Iraq & Afghanistan. The average is 2 weeks (but assume 3 was the advice.) WHAT TO DO?:confused:

Billy Ray

Yeah, I definitely don't want to throw a wrench in things or have anyone have to pay extra shipping or anything.

Stoo

Dilemma Update & Logistics

My good friend, Le Saboteur, offered to be the go-between for the rush to Billy Ray. The question is: Can it be done in time? I can go the post office tomorrow, Monday morning (07 June).

Via Swiss Post:
-URGENT mail delivered to N.America in 1-2 days but costs 70 Swiss Francs which, at the moment = $60 US/$62 CAN/?49 Euro/£41 GBP. (I could handle that price but would rather find an alternate solution and save this as a last resort.)
-RAPID service can get Indy to N.America in 4-5 days (and is considerably less in price) which would make an ETA of 11 June + 7-21 days...
Rocket Surgeon said:
I'm in New Jersey...I might be able to get him in Princeton, I KNOW I could do it if I get him by July.
Billy Ray said:
Hey Inky, just discovered this thread. I am in Afghanistan right now, will be here till the end of July if you can fit me in.
Depending on the precise dates, another option could be that Rocket mail Indy to Billy Ray AFTER his visit to Princeton. Would that work? Would there be enough time?:confused:

This is a PUBLIC CALL FOR ADVICE as a decision needs to be made very soon! (...and if I have Indy in my hands for any longer, I'm going to rip open the package and start taking more pictures! I don't want to have to say 'goodbye' twice.:p)

Before & After photos of the diary:

Indy_Diary_01a.jpg

Indy_Diary_99.jpg

I was kind of looking forward to GETTING a parcel from Afganistan, if need be I can send Indy from his home town here in New Jersey.:)

inky_skin

Stoo said:
This is a PUBLIC CALL FOR ADVICE as a decision needs to be made very soon! (...and if I have Indy in my hands for any longer, I'm going to rip open the package and start taking more pictures! I don't want to have to say 'goodbye' twice.:p)

Okay, I'm making an executive decision...

Stoo - mail him to Rocket Surgeon via regular airmail - I don't want you spending loads to rush him to the States.

Rocket - please send Indy to Billy Ray once you are done with him - however, you need to do this before the end of the first week of July. If this means he doesn't reach Princeton - well, so be it.

Billy - rather than mailing Indy back from Afghanistan, maybe he could personally accompany you home and then you could send him to Orlando from there ? What's the deal with mail for you once you've left - will it be forwarded to your home address (in case Indy misses you) ?

01 - UK (inky_skin) - DEPARTED 06-May-10
02 - Switzerland (Stoo) - ARRIVED 11-May-10 / DEPARTED 13-May-10
03 - Canada: Kingston (Stoo) - ARRIVED 13-May-10 / DEPARTED 16-May-10
04 - Canada: Montreal (Stoo) - ARRIVED 16-May-10 / DEPARTED 23-May-10
05 - Switzerland: Neuchâtel (Stoo) - ARRIVED 24-May-10
06 - Malta (Stoo) - ARRIVED 28-May-10 / DEPARTED 31-May-10
07 - Switzerland: Neuchâtel (Stoo) - ARRIVED 31-May-10 / DEPARTING ???
08 - East Coast USA: New Jersey / Princeton (Rocket Surgeon)
09 - Afghanistan (Billy Ray)
10 - Orlando (theinterchange)
11 - Indianapolis (bonoferox)
12 - West Coast USA: Culver City (Lance Quazar)
13 - West Coast USA: LA / SoCal (Pale Horse)
14 - West Coast USA: San Francisco (NickTurner)
15 - West Coast USA: San Francisco (InexorableTash)
16 - West Coast USA: San Francisco / New Orleans (Le Saboteur)
17 - Australia: Queensland (hemble)
18 - Australia: Canberra (indy34)
19 - Australia: Geelong (Ed Dolista)
20 - Korea (AlivePoet)
21 - Austria (DoomTown)
22 - Scotland (adventure al)
23 - UK (inky_skin)
25 - Canada (throwmetheidol)

Last edited:
inky_skin said:
Rocket - please send Indy to Billy Ray once you are done with him - however, you need to do this before the end of the first week of July. If this means he doesn't reach Princeton - well, so be it.

I will try to get him to Princeton, but the odds are slim, closer to none if he's to catch a flight by July 9th, (let me know if you meant the 3rd).

inky_skin

Rocket Surgeon said:
I will try to get him to Princeton, but the odds are slim, closer to none if he's to catch a flight by July 9th, (let me know if you meant the 3rd).

Thanks for being so flexible Rocket - and sorry for potentially messing up your plans. While I don't want to put any location above another, I'm sure that Indy is more likely to get another shot at Princeton than he is at Afghanistan. Please ensure that he's on his way first week of July at the very latest.

Le Saboteur

Stoo said:
My good friend, Le Saboteur, offered to be the go-between for the rush to Billy Ray. The question is: Can it be done in time? I can go the post office tomorrow, Monday morning (07 June).

I do what I can, Stoo! :hat:

Surprisingly enough, it's not the distance from the states that matters when shipping to an APO/FPO. Any mail (or freight) has to change many hands, and go through all the military protocols. The documents we used to have to fill out were astounding! Eventually it'll end up on a military airlift out of Rammstein, and then it has to catch up with Billy Ray's unit.

inkyskin said:
Thanks for being so flexible Rocket - and sorry for potentially messing up your plans.

If it's going to mess up his plans too much (note: he has tickets to King Tut too), you're more than welcome to send it here. I just plan on re-packing him and sending him on his way. I can reimburse Stoo some of the cost of the transit costs, and hopefully we're only a few days off schedule.

That said, you're more than welcome to continue as planned. My offer still stands.

Billy Ray

I have gotten packages from my wife in Texas in about 2 weeks, a couple have taken only about a week. Odd thing is, regular letters or cards seem to take way longer. Anyway, I am here until around 30 July at the earliest.

I don't want to screw things up for anyone else and I definitely don't want anyone spending $60 to mail him to me, so if Indy doesn't make it my way my feelings won't be hurt int he least.

In the end, Princeton and King Tut would be way cooler than anything Indy could see here IMO. While it is Afghanistan, I am restricted to the base (not that I would necesarily want to go off base mind you) and other than the weekly bizarre and the mosque, there isn't much that screams "Afghanistan" here. I mean, "Indiana Jones and the Curse of King Tut" photos would probably be a lot cooler than "Indiana Jones and the Bunker of Doom", "Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Humvee", or "Indiana Jones and the mystery of the Poo Pond"

inky_skin

Ok, you guys seem to have a handle on this - so rather than stamping over everyone I'm going to let you work it out ;) Keep me advised...

Le Saboteur

inky_skin said:
Ok, you guys seem to have a handle on this - so rather than stamping over everyone I'm going to let you work it out ;) Keep me advised...

I will leave it in Stoo's capable hands then. He can send it here, or to Rocket.

And while the idea of "Urgent Mail" is appealing, if the difference in cost is that substantial, Stoo, send it Rapid to whomever you send Indy too.

Billy Ray said:
...I definitely don't want anyone spending $60 to mail him to me

Oh but it is worth it. Like Inky said, how often is Indy going to get to go to Afghanistan?! I only touched upon it in the late nineties, and I personally would love to see some more pictures even if they are restricted to base! You could probably take some out on patrol (see: The Last Crusade), but that might not be the wisest move.

Billy Ray said:
...other than the weekly bizarre and the mosque

If the weekly bazaar is that bizarre, then it must be captured on (sic) film! And mosques are always fun. Few things are more indicative of locale than a proper mosque.

In the end though, if you're feeling bad about it, I could use a new dismaal. Send two, and I'll mail one back to Stoo. You could send one to Rocket too!

Billy Ray

LOL, my misspelling was completely unintentional, yet highly appropriate...the bazaar is quite bizarre. Not sure what a dismaal is, but I can get you a "GREEN LASER" for pretty cheap ;) I'm not 100% sure I can go in the mosque...pretty sure it is outside the wire, but I can get pretty darn close. I scouted out some photo ops today whilst driving around. I may get lucky and, if the camels come close enough to the fenceline, get a "no camels" shot.

NickTurner

Billy Ray it sure sucks to be stuck on base, but then, it ain't Kansas we're talking about. Whatever you do manage to shoot, er, photograph, stay safe my friend!

Oh and I'm sure some shots around camp 'hanging out with the boys' would be cool too.

The "poo pond" sounds like a dangerous situation just waiting to happen LOL :D

Stoo

Indy Has Left The Building!

07 - Switzerland: Neuchâtel (Stoo) - ARRIVED 31-May-10 / DEPARTED 07-June-10
inky_skin said:
Thanks for being so flexible Rocket - and sorry for potentially messing up your plans. While I don't want to put any location above another, I'm sure that Indy is more likely to get another shot at Princeton than he is at Afghanistan.
The one who should be apologizing is me for I kept him a few days longer than promised and didn't look into the details of mailing to APO addresses beforehand. My bad!:eek::whip:

After much thought & consideration, I decided to take a gamble and mail off the figure to Le Saboteur. It was sent 'rapid' (20 Swiss Francs) and was told it will take 3-7 days. IF it arrives in Sab's hands too late to send to Billy, then he can just forward it to Rocket. Let's wait and see how long it takes Indy to get to California before deciding what to do next...
Billy Ray said:
I have gotten packages from my wife in Texas in about 2 weeks, a couple have taken only about a week. Odd thing is, regular letters or cards seem to take way longer. Anyway, I am here until around 30 July at the earliest.

I don't want to screw things up for anyone else and I definitely don't want anyone spending $60 to mail him to me, so if Indy doesn't make it my way my feelings won't be hurt int he least.
Don't worry about the co$t, Billy Ray! To me, it's worth every cent.;) I included a padded envelope with your address on it but do you think if Saboteur puts the Indy package in a box it might help speed things up?

...and now, back to our regularily scheduled programme:

Indy's Short Swing to Switzerland before Malta!

"Well...back in Switzerland again. This time, I'm looking for a large, gold coin or medallion inside Neuchâtel's castle."

Indy_Switz_Neuchatel_09a.jpg

"Need to get across these 13th century walls...Allez-Oop!"

Indy_Switz_Neuchatel_08a.jpg

"Damn! I thought that was closer!"

Indy_Switz_Neuchatel_08b.jpg

Montana Smith

Brilliant photos, Stoo!

Just as Indy's stay with you comes to an end you get your best shots of him in action! Now you have the knack of photographing mini-Indy you'll have to have one with you every where you globe trot in future.

inky_skin

That last group of shots are epic Stoo ! Have you changed your technique or your camera ?

So - someone remind me where Indy is heading now ? I know he's going to Le Sab, but I'm a little hazy on the location...