Are/were the Batman fans responsible for a lot of the hate?

mikieson said:
Well the good news is,I hate batman.Never have liked him or his fairy sidekick. SO that gives me more reason to love KOTCS,which to me, was a great movie and more people actually liked it then not...

You can't prove that. Have you done a poll of everyone who has seen the film?

I have and it made water come out of my eyes.

Darth Vile

Montana Smith said:
I like Indy. No where near as much as Batman but I thought KOTCS was a bad film and even though TDK is the strongest Batman entry I still find the others entertaining as well. ;)

I like Batman. No where near as much as Indiana Jones but I thought TDK was an overblown, pompous, and for large sections, very dull and ultimately disappointing film. And even though TDK is the 3rd weakest of the entire franchise (IMHO)? I don?t lose sleep over it. :D

Darth Vile

replican't said:
You can't prove that. Have you done a poll of everyone who has seen the film?

I have and it made water come out of my eyes.

I think it probably is true, looking at some of the aggregated scores/rating, to say more people actually liked it than didn't. However, it's also probably true to say that most Indiana Jones fans (or those who liked/lived through the originals) were somewhat disappointed with KOTCS and/or believe it to be not as good as the originals.

pete33

firstly, i was not a fan of TDK when it first came out. im still not a fan. CSI batman? no thanks. i prefer the comic book style batmans of yesteryear, back when they were fun. in fact, i have since shunned the christopher nolan movies as i personally do not view them as proper batman movies at all. with batman begins, nolan may have "played it safe" with more by the numbers action and stunts, which i actually enjoyed to an extent especially with the finale, but the rest of it along with TDK movie was just a snoozefest and totally uneventful movies. essentially, it was Heat with a cape. very dissapointing. it was nothing but hype and marketing the death of a celebrity. shame on hollywood. plus i didnt find ledgers joker all that great. too realistic joker, no gags or anything. certainly not oscar worthy. jack nicholson, heath ledger is not.

summer of 2008 for me was all about indy. yes i did see TDK but only cuz i remember hearing all this stuff about ledgers performance and wanted to see what all the fuss is about. plus i thought i'd give nolan one more chance to redeem himself after the ultra boring origin crap batman begins. lo and hold, i was once again, dissapointed. TDKR looks to be more of the same, easy pass this timem especially with the casting of that fugly bad actress as catwoman. like nicholson, i just know michelle pfieffer has nothing to worry about. indiana jones 4 however, while not on the level of the original 3 (who expected it to be?) was simply a fun, exciting, good time at the movies. i saw KOTCS 3 times in the theater, i just loved seeing ford back in that hat.

i understand back in 1989 Batman and indy went head to head before and batman still won out, but i attribute that especially to the fact that, aside from Batman being a REALLY awsome movie, and a proper one at that, it was also the very first big budget batman film ever made and was brand new, before it was done to death like it is today. for me, as much as i did love Returns and Forever, nothing has topped the original for me.

as for whether the TDK nerds ruined indy cuz they are a loudmouth bunch, i really dont care. they didnt ruin it for me. every board ive been on shows the hardcore nolan fanboys are extremly hostile narrowminded insulting lot who should be banned from internet use. they state there opinions as fact and consistently trash the older films, which i just cant stand for.

Darth Vile said:
I like Batman. No where near as much as Indiana Jones but I thought TDK was an overblown, pompous, and for large sections, very dull and ultimately disappointing film. And even though TDK is the 3rd weakest of the entire franchise (IMHO)? I don?t lose sleep over it. :D

thank God someone agrees with me about this pretentious movie. it truly was boring. :sleep: just a buncha cops talking to each other, and joker.....what a dissapointment! twoface was lame, only in it for 2 seconds. tommy lee jones made twoface a FUNNY, ENTERTAINING villians, for the whole movie. i dont care for the comics so being accurate to the comics 100% doesnt bother me, as long as they can make the characters look cool and be entertaining, thats all i ask. the first 3 original batmans did that for me. everything afterward just failed. suddenly batman became a columbo meets NYPD. a friend of mine after seeing TDK went that was the greatest CSI episode i ever saw!(y)

Last edited by a moderator:

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
Actually, I agree with you, pete33. My Batfandom has always been for the comic versions. I'm not a big fan of the "realistic" comic book movie, personally more because it takes away what makes it a comic and a fantasy world in the first place.

That is not to say that I accept super cartoonish unbelievable stunts, but with the right kind of movie magic, done in such a way that I can supend my disbelief so I can forget the laws of physics for long enough to buy it and keep watching. And I don't think it was just Ledger's death that pushed ticket sales for Batman over Indy, I think that the youth in the audience (and it isn't just geeks as I've stated before) are looking for movies that are darker and gritter and TDK was the flavour of the month, regardless of whether it was a Batman movie or not.

I would also factor in the fact that KOTCS had enough years between for quite of few people in the young audiences to have missed Indy in the first place completely. At least, I know that was very much the case in my part of the world. Ask anyone, and if it didn't happen in the last ten years, then they don't know about it. Even ten years would be pushing it. And that was a big part of why the audience before the movie even hit the box office hadn't hit the mark in it's marketing. And in the end, Indy was banking on fandom (on all levels) more than the general movie going audience.

mikieson

I guess just to be blunt..I dont give a f&*k what people think of Indy,KOTCS or anything else I like..I dont like something just because its popular or the s^&* of the moment OR because of what some snot nosed critics say..never have cared, never will..
INDY beats any dumb batman movie in my books. The ONLY batman movie I liked came out in 89.:hat: ..good day..

Montana Smith

mikieson said:
I guess just to be blunt..I dont give a f&*k what people think of Indy,KOTCS or anything else I like..I dont like something just because its popular or the s^&* of the moment OR because of what some snot nosed critics say..never have cared, never will..

Exactly. We all like what we like, and needn't change our opinion to please a louder voice or a perceived majority.

Which is why threads like this are essentially pointless, beyond the pulling of a leg or two.

To paraphrase two opposing points:

firstly, i was not a fan of KOTCS when it first came out. im still not a fan. CGI gophers? no thanks. i prefer the indys of yesteryear, back when they were fun.

BATMAN beats any dumb KOTCS movie in my books. The ONLY indy movies I liked came out in the 80's ..good day...

I rest my case on all counts.

Montana Smith

pete33 said:
CSI batman? no thanks. i prefer the comic book style batmans of yesteryear, back when they were fun.

Let's not forget he was "The world's greatest detective".

Detective_Comics_27.jpg

Almost back on topic here's a snippet of news from the Gotham Gazette:

?Before ascending to the top of the building The Batman inexplicably placed a copy of Kingdom of the Crystal Skull in the alley below??

50.gif

Montana Smith

Raiders112390 said:
Batman is utterly overrated as a character and a franchise. And Nolan's movies are lame.

That would explain the ratings on IMDB!
lol1.gif

KOTCS: 6.4/10 (180,338 votes)

BB: 8.3/10 (384,495 votes)

TDK: 8.9/10 (668,797 votes)

The Drifter

Montana Smith said:
That would explain the ratings on IMDB!
lol1.gif

KOTCS: 6.4/10 (180,338 votes)

BB: 8.3/10 (384,495 votes)

TDK: 8.9/10 (668,797 votes)

You're kidding me, right? You're citing your sources from IMDB?! Where every fanboy can easily vote a good score for any mediocre movie that they happen to like?

Stoo

Montana Smith said:
Which is why threads like this are essentially pointless, beyond the pulling of a leg or two.
Smiffy, you DO realize that yourself (& replic*nt) are SOLIDLY reinforcing the whole point of this thread?:p

Four years later, in 2012, the BatFags STILL CONTINUE to promote hatred toward "Crystal Skull"!:gun:

Montana Smith

The Drifter said:
You're kidding me, right? You're citing your sources from IMDB?! Where every fanboy can easily vote a good score for any mediocre movie that they happen to like?

"overrated" was the key phrase.

Since one of the best movies of 2008, The Reader, managed only 7.6/10 from 84,807 users.

Stoo said:
Smiffy, you DO realize that yourself (& replic*nt) are SOLIDLY reinforcing the whole point of this thread?:p

Four years later, in 2012, the BatFags STILL CONTINUE to promote hatred toward "Crystal Skull"!:gun:

No, this thread is pointless and I promote nothing but the poking of the Raven's corpse.
2651.gif

Darth Vile

Stoo said:

LOL... (y)

kongisking

Montana Smith said:
Almost back on topic here's a snippet of news from the Gotham Gazette:

“Before ascending to the top of the building The Batman inexplicably placed a copy of Kingdom of the Crystal Skull in the alley below…”

50.gif

Aw, come now, Smiffy, that's far too vicious, don't you think? A very cheap shot, if you ask me.

Stoo said:

Yikes, Stoo. Calling all Batman fans faggots is a very easy way to make a loooooooooot not listen to you, pal.