Lucas Animation - Indy 5 and Beyond ?

No Ticket

I could go for that. ESPECIALLY if it was set in the 1930s era again. But I know they would dumb it down for kids and that it probably wouldn't be as good. Animation does not have to be a kids only medium, neither should it.

Gobi-1

Batman: The Animated Series wasn't dumbed down for kids. An Indy series of that quality would be tremendous.

No Ticket

Gobi-1 said:
Batman: The Animated Series wasn't dumbed down for kids. An Indy series of that quality would be tremendous.

True but ummm... look who we're talking about here. George Lucas. Do you think we'll be getting something on the level of Batman: The Animated Series from him? I wouldn't count on it and less the only thing he is involved in is saying "yeah you can do an Indiana Jones animated movie."

muttjones

gear guardian said:
The sound is not correct; too 'pure' and 'clean', something you don't get in the tangable field.

you still seem to think that we're in the age of indiana jones. The 80s. Now every sound is tweaked and altered and dubbed even. There is no tangable field now.

muttjones

Gobi-1 said:

Batman was find with the mobsters and the joker and stuff but once robin was introduced it became very childish and silly. I lost interest a couple of episodes into the second series.

Bvance

I'd have to wait until I see the Clone Wars movie, but from what I've seen of the trailers Hell no!

You thought Indy 4 was lame? We've got a burping Jubba-the-Hut baby gags in Clone Wars. The animated Indy movie would be much worse than KOTCS.

I wouldn't mind an Indiana Jones animated TV series, but I think Indy 5 should be a live action adventure with Harrison Ford to try and send off the character in a great movie/adventure with the spirit of the originals.

Lao_Che

I said in one of the other threads I'd like to see a TV series as a better Jackie Chan Adventures.

I can't see an animated Indiana Jones working well as CGI compared to traditional 2D cel animation but I also can't see Lucas finding the latter of any interest to give such a version the go ahead.

creamdog_06.jpg

And I do believe this should be animated. ;) Any cartoon Nazis might give some people (networks) issues though.

Gobi-1

No Ticket said:
True but ummm... look who we're talking about here. George Lucas. Do you think we'll be getting something on the level of Batman: The Animated Series from him?

Yes.

Lucas > Batman

In my opinion of course.

agentsands77

No Ticket said:
True but ummm... look who we're talking about here. George Lucas. Do you think we'll be getting something on the level of Batman: The Animated Series from him?
Indeed. I mean, if this new Clone Wars CGI film is the quality of animated output he's interested in, and it looks like it is, that just ain't going to cut it.

I'd only be interested in a Jones animated series if Lucas handed over the reigns to some rather talented individuals, instead of having Lucasfilm really handle it themselves. Like the way Genndy Tartakovsky was brought on for those animated Clone Wars shorts back in the day.

Last edited:

DIrishB

No Ticket said:
True but ummm... look who we're talking about here. George Lucas. Do you think we'll be getting something on the level of Batman: The Animated Series from him? I wouldn't count on it and less the only thing he is involved in is saying "yeah you can do an Indiana Jones animated movie."

Well, the animated Clone Wars TV show by Genndy Tartakovsky was critically successful, so at least it isn't impossible to make a worthwhile animated project with Lucas' properties. Granted, Star Wars and Indy are two very different animals, but I'd honestly like to see something along those lines. I doubt Harrison would be willing to voice the Indy character for something like this (but then again, who knows?), but would be willing to accept a voice over actor who can pull off a very good Indy impression.

I know many of you are against this (and against more Indy in general after Crystal Skull), but I disagree with that viewpoint. I'm an Indy fan, and I love the character and will ALWAYS want to see more of him. While Crystal Skull wasn't great, Temple of Doom had its problems as well. But if they'd stopped there we'd never have gotten the amazing Last Crusade. And while comparing a theoretical animated Indy series to those awesome movies might be presumptuous, how'll we ever know without seeing it?

Railing against something that hasnt been done yet (and probably won't be at all) takes a lot of assumptions, especially when its based on a series that so far is more hit than miss (whatever your opinion of Crystal Skull is).

Lao_Che said:
I said in one of the other threads I'd like to see a TV series as a better Jackie Chan Adventures.

I can't see an animated Indiana Jones working well as CGI compared to traditional 2D cel animation but I also can't see Lucas finding the latter of any interest to give such a version the go ahead.

creamdog_06.jpg

And I do believe this should be animated. ;) Any cartoon Nazis might give some people (networks) issues though.

Completely agree. That would be a perfect style for an animated series, and is very close to style of the aforementioned Genndy Tartakovsky.

I agree CGI animation would be the wrong approach with Indy. He's a character that represents the eariler parts of the 20th century. Using the latest in 21st century animation technology to represent that character would just be wrong. Fluidly and skillfully incorporated 2D animation would be the perfect route to take the Indy series. Heck, I'd even prefer them as straight to DVD animated movie so the tone can be a bit darker and more Indy like than they'd be able to get away with on an animated series. This is only because I seriously doubt an animated Indy movie would ever grace the big screens (nor should it). The animated angle works well as a spin-off of the classic live-action Indy franchise, but not as a straight-up continuation of it.

RONDC20

I just read Indiana Jones Adventures vol 1 and loved it. It was soooo Indy. We got Belloq and Marcus Brody and Nazis. I for one definitely want to see an Indiana Jones animated series.

I am both an Indy/Star Wars fan and a huge animation buff as well. I'm pretty excited about Clone Wars, although I think the classic trilogy is being neglected. I want to see Luke, Han and Leia again, but that?s a post for a Star Wars message board.

Back to Indy. I am guessing that a lot of you are Indy fans, but a not particularly animation fan, which is ok, but I know that most of you are under the impression that animation is solely a medium for children. This is not the case.

I strongly believe that if Lucas decided to make an Indiana Jones animated series it would not be dumbed down or kiddified.

Let?s look at The Clone Wars animated movie/TV series. The movie will be PG as will the TV series. They will have clones dying left and right. The reason that it will be able to get away with slightly more violent content is because it's George Lucas and it's Star Wars. Studios and networks give a lot of slack simply because it's Star Wars.

I am sure were going to see a lot of things in this series that you would not be able to see in a normal animated kids show.

Now let's look at Indiana Jones Adventures vol. 1.Sure it was kid friendly, but not at the expense of what makes Indiana Jones great. That barely PG-13 style content that we all love. I mean it had Nazis and they wore Swastikas and everything. Indy got his butt kicked and there was blood. Not to mention what happened to that poor Nazi youth troop. It was great.

I was particularly impressed by the design of Belloq, I mean he looked exactly like Paul Freeman in animated form. I hope to see other familiar characters in future volumes like Sallah, Short Round, Henry Jones Senior and Marrion even Willie Scott.

I for one hope and pray we get an animated series. I strongly believe that everything I know and love about Indiana Jones will be intact in an animated show.

BTW what title would you pick for the title of the cartoon series?

Here are some possible ideas.

"Indiana Jones Adventures"

"The Further Adventures of Indiana Jones"

"The Adventures of Indiana Jones"

"Indiana Jones: The Animated Series"

What do you guys think?

I could already see the series opening credit sequence accompanied by the Raider's March. Something perhaps with the classic Red line across the map theme with footage of the animation superimposed on it. Just imagine it folks.

Ohhhh! it gives me goose bumps just thinking about it.

DIrishB

I really do think an animated series could be a worthwhile effort if Lucas handed it off to someone who actually respects the character and franchise, and has proven they know how to work in the medium. I'd honestly like Lucas to have VERY limited involvement (basically a very hands off executive producer), since at this point I honestly think he respects the Indy character less than a lot of fans. Also, anyone else but Lucas would probably willing to bend on ideas that don't belong in an Indy movie (which Lucas is unwilling to do). So, yeah, I could see it working and being successful, just think the chances of it are improved greatly if Lucas keeps his involvement limited. He's too busy with the Star Wars stuff anyway.

Lucas really needs to hire a Rick McCallum-esque person who can help oversee the Indy universe and associated projects.

Belloq

I am toooootally against the idea of an animation epic of Indy. It just doesn't fit with the genre of Indiana Jones and what makes the first three movies great films.

Plus with animation you get a "dumming down" of the film *cough* *cough* star wars *cough* *cough* to a level only kids will like... *cough*

EddyW

Well, I'm sorry but I have to disagree with you. I think animation would work very well with the franchise, because the original films themselves feel like live action animation to me. Like RONDC20 said, the Indiana Jones adventures comic book felt like 100% Indiana Jones to me, it just gelled all the elements together brilliantly, so if somebody who actually new what he was doing and who dares to go dark and mature was leading this project I have total confidence. Saying that "with animation you get a "dumming down" of the film" is a very blunt and untrue statement, animation can be a very smart and interesting medium. In the wrong hands live action can be just as dumb and infantile as your average bland animated film, like Indy 4 (in my opinion) was a dumbed down kid friendly version of the original trilogy. Have you seen Batman, Gotham Knight? I didn't like all the stories, but especially the first piece was very well done I think. It put Batman in a very new and fresh perspective, the artwork and animation was very unique and it really added to the world of Batman in an interesting way, be it just a small story. It was pretty dark at times as well and definately not dumbed down so please think before you type and realize that Clone Wars is not all there is to animation. Just imagine what someone with a vision could achieve through this medium. I personally think animation would lend itself very well to tell stories that are yet untold from the Indy universe. I actually think that a series like this, if targeted at a more mature audience, could actually mean something for animation in general in terms of getting rid of the stigma that animation is just for stupid little kids. I think with films like Ratatouille and Wall-E, animation might already be slowly develloping in that direction and Indy could fit in pretty nicely.

RONDC20

Thanks EddyW what Belloq said was truly naive and ignorant and it's because of people like him that animation here in America is having a hard time getting out of the rut of being thought of as merely kid's stuff.

Most people are just too stubborn and blind to see the true potential of animation as a medium for telling good stories.

Indiana Jones would be perfect for animation, PERFECT!! The old Serials that inspired Indy were basically live action action/adventure cartoons.

DIrishB

Have to agree with EddieW and RONDC20. An animated Indy project could work very well. As said, its all about the approach taken with the project.

RedeemedChild

:mad: I'm not among the "I's" for an animated fifth Jones film. I say "nay" to such a suggestion. Instead, I think that the fifth film should be live-action just like Kingdom of the Crystal Skull was.

(y) However, I'm all for an animated Indiana Jones show. Just as long as it is animated in the style of the legendary The Batman and Teen Titans from Cartoon Network and gets a TV-PG or TV-Y7FV rating and is done in the same family friendly epic adventure-esque manner that the preceding Indiana Jones films have been.

Hopefully, the animated show will not be all CGI like SWTCW; but, instead will be traditional animation combined with CGI as was Atlantis The Lost Empire and Avatar The Last Airbender. Hopefully, the makers of Transformers Animated and Avatar The Last Airbender can work with Lucasfilm animation to create such a project.

I'd feel comfortable if Dave Filoni, George Lucas and Steven Spielberg collaborated together to create the television series.

In addition, I also hope Irina Spalko, Area 51, Crystal Skulls and Mutt Williams will all appear in the rumored animated Indiana Jones series. :hat:

DIrishB

RedeemedChild said:
:mad: I'm not among the "I's" for an animated fifth Jones film. I say "nay" to such a suggestion. Instead, I think that the fifth film should be live-action just like Kingdom of the Crystal Skull was.

I don't think anyone really wants to see an animated film in theaters in place of a fifth live action Indy.

I think most people are in favor of an actual animated series, but I'd even be open to straight to DVD animated movies. It wouldn't attempt to be a replacement for the live action films, just be another spin-off property in the franchise. I say "why not"?

(y) However, I'm all for an animated Indiana Jones show. Just as long as it is animated in the style of the legendary The Batman and Teen Titans from Cartoon Network and gets a TV-PG or TV-Y7FV rating and is done in the same family friendly epic adventure-esque manner that the preceding Indiana Jones films have been.

Hopefully, the animated show will not be all CGI like SWTCW; but, instead will be traditional animation combined with CGI as was Atlantis The Lost Empire and Avatar The Last Airbender. Hopefully, the makers of Transformers Animated and Avatar The Last Airbender can work with Lucasfilm animation to create such a project.

I'd feel comfortable if Dave Filoni, George Lucas and Steven Spielberg collaborated together to create the television series.

In addition, I also hope Irina Spalko, Area 51, Crystal Skulls and Mutt Williams will all appear in the rumored animated Indiana Jones series. :hat:

I agree with everything.

JimmyPSHayes

I wouldn't want an animated Indy film to be Indy 5 either. I would LOVE a direct to DVD or series though!!! And I'm with the traditional-animated crowd. No CGI for me!! I mix is good, too. I just don't see Indy as looking right in CGI.