The Soundtracks Collection - Concord

Merkel

From soundtrack.net:

"This fall, Concord Music Group will also reissue the soundtracks to the original Indiana Jones trilogy, which have been out of print for nearly a decade, as part of a four-CD boxed set. "

http://www.soundtrack.net/news/article/?id=1183

The question is, do the 3 complete scores fit in 4 cd's? If they are all filled with 75 minutes, we'll have 300 minutes, or 5 hours worth of music.

According to my calculations, The Last Crusade has about 105 minutes of music. Raiders has maybe 85. Does Temple of Doom fit in 110 minutes? It just might actually...

The question is: Are these "re-issues" or will we finally get the complete scores to Doom and Crusade? If so then they will require at least 2 discs each. Both of my unofficial bootlegs are on 2 discs each. Sounds to me like these are just reissues of the original releases which would be extremely disappointing.

Dust McAlan

At the moment, the idea of a four-cd box set sounds like it's Raiders, Temple, Crusade and Kingdom all in one set. What would aggravate me about this is that I own the Raiders and Crusade discs, and I've preordered the Kingdom CD. So that means I'd have to buy a four disc set for just Temple?

I'm hoping that's not the case.

Michael24

At the very least, something like Fox's 1994 STAR WARS ANTHOLOGY would be nice. The first three discs would be RAIDERS, TEMPLE OF DOOM, and THE LAST CRUSADE, then the fourth disc could be previously unreleased material and such.

Otherwise, it'll likely just be all four scores packaged together in one set, which seems kinda stupid (unless the first three are indeed expanded somewhat), since many people will likely have already gotten KOTCS and they'll have a second unneeded copy if they have to buy the set to get all or some of the others.

Dr Jones

I just hope we get the previous 3 movie soundtracks. Obviously I missed them first time, so I'd love to add them to KOTCS and hear the original trilogy in all it's fotune and glory!

(y)

Crack that whip

I was just coming here to post this myself! I'm guessing from the wording that this means a boxed collection of straight reissues of the previous three albums plus the new one (and I wouldn't presume to know whether it means the original program for Raiders or the 1995 expansion), but I'm hopeful for something more.

Dust McAlan

If they're reissuing and don't include the 1995 expanded Raiders, they're insane. It's been released, and is comprehensive enough as it is.

Crack that whip

Well, it's not comprehensive enough for everyone, but it'll probably suffice for most people.

The 1995 DCC expanded release actually has two distinct editions - the CD, and a limited-pressing (3000 copies) double LP edition, the latter of which actually features additional music not included on the CD - the cue "The Well of the Souls" is more than twice as long as the version on the CD, running a total of 11 minutes, 27 seconds. This is the only official release this additional material has gotten - so far.

It's harder to produce really long CDs (ones longer than the Raiders expanded CD, say) and still retain full compatibility with all CD players, which I imagine is why the expanded CD doesn't have all the music of the expanded LP (though it might instead have been done just to confer additional "collectible" status on the LP), but longer CDs can be done, and probably more easily today than in 1995, say. One might therefore hope the boxed set will include at least all the Raiders music from the double LP, if not more than that (which it might not, if the box is going to be a straight "one disc per film, so four discs for four films" affair).

It's not really clear the box will include Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, though; it could conceivably be just the "classic trilogy," in which case it would pretty much have to have lots of additional music from those three if it's to fill four discs. I'm somewhat hoping this will be the case - while it would be somewhat annoying to still see "trilogy"-type compilations of material being produced now that there's a fourth movie, a four-disc set that included all four movies would surely include just the same KotCS disc that many of us are buying now, while alloting just one disc for each of the first three. That would still be enough disc space to add additional material for each of the first three, but not as much as there would be if there were a fourth disc as well, and either way we're probably not going to get any additional KotCS music from the box that's not already on the just-released album, whereas we should get an awful lot of additional music from the first three if the box covers only those. But we (well, I) just don't know yet; we'll just have to wait and see...

Last edited:

Montana_Jones

Agent Spalko said:
Not expanded=No $ale.
Agreed! I wanted 2-CD's EACH of the OST's for Raiders of the Lost Ark, Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom and Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade! Pisses me the frak off! I still have to settle for my still incomplete 2-CD OST's for ToD and LC?! This is unforgivable to be honest.
Hopefully they'll have enough backlash and perhaps in 2009 release PROPER 2-CD versions for the OST's of the 1980's Indy Jones Trilogy. For each film of course.

Crack that whip

Since my last post in this thread I read something somewhere (no link handy at the moment, sorry, but I'll try to dig one up later) indicating the box will indeed be for all four movies, and therefore one score per disc. This means it will definitely not have all the music from any of the four, and presumably nothing new at all that we don't already have for the fourth in particular, since the existing (and currently widely available) single CD for it is pretty full already (though still short a lot of music).

However, there could be a little additional Raiders music squeezed in that wasn't on the 1995 CD release (which itself had quite a bit not on the original '81 album program), there could be a bit more newly-released material for Last Crusade (the original soundtrack runs a little under 59 minutes, so it could conceivably be expanded by as much as 20 minutes or so and still fit on a disc), and Temple of Doom could have perhaps twice as much music as the previous soundtrack, which has only about 40 1/2 minutes of music.

That said, it should also be noted that just because CDs can hold more music than the vinyl LPs the original album programs were designed for doesn't necessarily mean there'll be anything new released. AFM licensing issues might make it prohibitively expensive to issue any new music from the last three movies that wasn't on their original soundtracks already (Raiders would be a different case, as its music was recorded by the London Symphony Orchestra and not subject to the same reuse fees that surely exist for the other three). That the set will include a disc for each of the four movies rather than being just for the "OT" would certainly seem to make expansions less likely (since obviously, if it were four discs for three movies, there'd have to be a lot more music than there is on the previous Raiders, Temple and Crusade releases). It could very well be that the selling point is simply having the previous soundtracks available again at all, since they've been hard to get for a while now.

But we'll see. If nothing else, I guarantee the label and Lucasfilm are aware of the interest in expanded releases of these scores, and I do think they'll try to release expansions if it's feasible...

michael

Crack that whip said:
Since my last post in this thread I read something somewhere (no link handy at the moment, sorry, but I'll try to dig one up later) indicating the box will indeed be for all four movies, and therefore one score per disc. This means it will definitely not have all the music from any of the four, and presumably nothing new at all that we don't already have for the fourth in particular, since the existing (and currently widely available) single CD for it is pretty full already (though still short a lot of music).

However, there could be a little additional Raiders music squeezed in that wasn't on the 1995 CD release (which itself had quite a bit not on the original '81 album program), there could be a bit more newly-released material for Last Crusade (the original soundtrack runs a little under 59 minutes, so it could conceivably be expanded by as much as 20 minutes or so and still fit on a disc), and Temple of Doom could have perhaps twice as much music as the previous soundtrack, which has only about 40 1/2 minutes of music.

That said, it should also be noted that just because CDs can hold more music than the vinyl LPs the original album programs were designed for doesn't necessarily mean there'll be anything new released. AFM licensing issues might make it prohibitively expensive to issue any new music from the last three movies that wasn't on their original soundtracks already (Raiders would be a different case, as its music was recorded by the London Symphony Orchestra and not subject to the same reuse fees that surely exist for the other three). That the set will include a disc for each of the four movies rather than being just for the "OT" would certainly seem to make expansions less likely (since obviously, if it were four discs for three movies, there'd have to be a lot more music than there is on the previous Raiders, Temple and Crusade releases). It could very well be that the selling point is simply having the previous soundtracks available again at all, since they've been hard to get for a while now.

But we'll see. If nothing else, I guarantee the label and Lucasfilm are aware of the interest in expanded releases of these scores, and I do think they'll try to release expansions if it's feasible...
Thanks for the update man.

I suppose that if this release is going to be basically the same as what is already out there, then we probably won't hear about expanded releases for some time, even if they are planned, since any announcement of extended versions would hurt the sales of this release.

I'll just keep waiting.

Crack that whip

UPDATE: Raiders tracklist - EXPANSION INDICATED!!!

MovieMusic's tracklist for an upcoming release of Raiders of the Lost Ark from Concord Records includes previously unreleased selections!!! YAY!!!

MovieMusic.com said:
  1. In the Jungle
  2. The Idol Temple
  3. Escape from the Temple
  4. Flight from Peru
  5. Washington Men/Indy's Home
  6. A Thought for Marion/To Nepal
  7. The Medallion
  8. Flight to Cairo
  9. The Basket Game
  10. Bad Dates
  11. The Map Room/Dawn
  12. Reunion in the Tent/Searching for the Well
  13. The Well of the Souls
  14. Indy Rides the Statue
  15. The Fist Fight/The Flying Wing
  16. Desert Chase
  17. Marion's Theme/The Crate
  18. The German Sub
  19. Ride to the Nazi Hideout
  20. Indy Follows the Ark
  21. The Miracle of the Ark
  22. Washington Ending & Raiders March
:D (y) :whip: :D (y) :whip: :D (y) :whip:

Crack that whip

And now, further detail:

Concord Records said:
Indiana Jones: The Complete Soundtracks Collection

For the first time ever all four Indiana Jones soundtrack albums are available in this limited edition collectible CD boxed set! Included are expanded and remastered versions of Raiders of the Lost Ark, and exclusive to this set: Indiana Jones & The Temple Doom, and Indiana Jones & The Last Crusade. This set also includes the Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull soundtrack plus a bonus interview CD with composer John Williams on the making of this historic music. Housed in a handsome embossed slip case and presented with a full color booklet, this set reintroduces the iconic original Indiana Jones film scores by Oscar-winning composer John Williams - out of print since 1995! A must for fans and collectors alike, all will rejoice in having all these soundtracks presented together expanded with previously unreleased music - along with this summer's blockbuster Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull available together for the very first time. Relive the musical adventure today!

So, apparently the expanded Raiders of the Lost Ark will be available both in the boxed set and individually, while the expanded Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom and Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade will be exclusive to the boxed set. I know where my money's going...

:D (y) :whip:

(Oh, and the box is due out November 11!)

Ajax the Great

Thanks very much Crack That Whip! I am absolutely ecstatic about this, as I've been seeking the Raiders soundtrack for a long time now to complete my Indy music collection. The track listings seem much more extensive than those of the 1995 version, which is indeed pleasant to hear (no pun intended).