Apple for teacher? Why'd he do that?

Joe Brody

Finn said:
. . . .there is a wide ravine between the college Indy and adventure Indy, nearly so wide that they could be taken as two different character. . . .

Shades of the old 'Is Indy a Superhero' thread?

Finn

Staff member
Not a bad thought, but not quite. You can lead a double life even without having to dress in thighs.

Indyologist

My Whips Bigger said:
I think the guy was in love with Indy secretly, but because Marcus was there, he felt a bit embarrased about it.

OMIGOSH! ROTFL! My Whips, you are baaaaad! :eek: :D
Perhaps the apple was a metaphor for the garden of Eden and he wants Indy to be his "Eve?" Okay, okay, that's enough. Gotta stop before I puke! My apologies to everyone! Let's keep in mind that Indy has probably bedded women on all 7 continents!

VP

Moderator Emeritus
Pale Horse said:

lol.

<small>Finn, I know this is a wanha one, but I just had to.</small>

Indyologist said:
My Whips, you are baaaaad!

Indyologist, you're too conservative. This isn't the 1930's anymore.

Last edited:

Indyologist

[QUOTE
Indyologist, you're too conservative. This isn't the 1930's anymore. [/B][/QUOTE]

Guess I'm just an old-fashioned gal-- and proud of it! :D

Indyologist

By the way, there were 3 guys in Indy's class in Raiders. If I mentioned this already, sorry for the repetition.

LostArkFan81

Attila the Professor said:
has anyone ever heard about how The Wizard of Oz is supposedly really about the gold standard?

The Wizard of Oz which had been originally written during the 19th century is a populist piece. It is about farmers being hurt by droubts, and Dorthy represents the working class going to Washington(Emerald City) to ask the Wizard(the president of the United States) for help but unfortunately he can't. Each character represents someone or something like the wicked witch being the droubt who dies from water of course, the lion is William Jennings Bryan who is the populist presidential candidate, the Tin Man represented silver which Bryan advocated, and I think the scarecrow was the farm. However, there is plenty you can read about this or take a course in late nineteenth and early twentieth century U.S. history in college. I wish I could remember all the details though.

About the apple: The girls in Indy's class all have crushes on him and so does a gay male student, who gives Indy the apple to show his love for the teacher. It is wierd if nobody can find this information because it had already been understood by Indy fans, critics, and the general public two decades ago. Oh well, I guess newer generations of film goers have to learn this stuff too.

Joe Brody

LostArkFan81 said:
About the apple: The girls in Indy's class all have crushes on him and so does a gay male student, who gives Indy the apple to show his love for the teacher. It is wierd if nobody can find this information because it had already been understood by Indy fans, critics, and the general public two decades ago. Oh well, I guess newer generations of film goers have to learn this stuff too.

LostArkFan81,

This is news to this fan of 20+ years, and frankly I have no recollection of the issue being so well understood back in the early '80's. I'd like to see some confirmation on this point. If you're right, it just goes to show that someone was very forward thinking back then.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
LostArkFan81 said:
The Wizard of Oz which had been originally written during the 19th century is a populist piece. It is about farmers being hurt by droubts, and Dorthy represents the working class going to Washington(Emerald City) to ask the Wizard(the president of the United States) for help but unfortunately he can't. Each character represents someone or something like the wicked witch being the droubt who dies from water of course, the lion is William Jennings Bryan who is the populist presidential candidate, the Tin Man represented silver which Bryan advocated, and I think the scarecrow was the farm. However, there is plenty you can read about this or take a course in late nineteenth and early twentieth century U.S. history in college. I wish I could remember all the details though.

You seem absolutely right on The Wizard of Oz, though I've heard the allegory may have been unintentional. The thing about the apple...that I'm suspicious of.

ElodieJones

Maybe the student said or make something wrong to Indy.
And Indy put the student in the back of the class room.

After the lesson, the student, always angry with Indy, give to him a apple for say sorry.

Johan

I'd have to say they just wanted to potray a classic "steriotype" thing to do at that time.