Should there be a prequel............

Montana Smith

The Stranger said:
But a prequel to the original trilogy deserves a decise NO. I think that the original intent of Lucas and Spielberg was to imply that "Temple of Doom" and "Raiders" were the first real adventures Indy ever embarked on... a prequel to them doesn't make sense to me, especially because there would be absolutely no way to involve any supernatural/mysterious subplot, unless they made Indy lose his memory again (that trick was already used in "Temple", when the Thugs force him to drink the dark blood of Kali).

I don't think there would be any contradiction. I always imagined Indy was a seasoned adventurer when he first appeared on screen. The Young Indy series then confirmed that. As for the supernatural, there's no reason why TOD had to be his first encounter - he knew that invoking Shiva should have effect; he was conscious the inexplicable light trap in the Chachapoyan temple.

Also, unless his meeting with Dracula was a ghost story to frighten the kids, then he's already encountered a vampire, too.

StoneTriple

The Stranger said:
I think that the original intent of Lucas and Spielberg was to imply that "Temple of Doom" and "Raiders" were the first real adventures Indy ever embarked on...
Montana Smith said:
I always imagined Indy was a seasoned adventurer when he first appeared on screen.

Absolutely!

There is no way either Raiders or Temple were his first real adventures. It's clear with the character's introduction during the Chachapoyan temple portion of Raiders that we are meeting an already very experienced adventurer\archeologist. A fact that is confirmed by Belloq, twice;

Again we see there is nothing you can possess which I cannot take away.
How odd that it should end this way for us after so many stimulating encounters. I almost regret it. Where shall I find a new adversary so close to my own level?

There are plenty of earlier stories to show. The Rob MacGregor and Max McCoy novels would make great films showing the building of the character we meet in Raiders.

Hanselation

Just Do It!

If they will make prequels and even if they do it as anmiated series, I would say: Do it!
And if it's not as good as I would like it, it's easy for me to ignore the stuff. So I would prefer to judge the stuff as recently as I've seen it.
Like the Young Indiana Jones TV-Series, where there are some episodes I really like and others I've seen ones and wouldn't waste my lifetime again with it.
But with the TV-series they also added well done Indiana Jones stuff ( my favorites: Phantom Train of Doom, Espionage Escapades, Masks of Evil, Adventures in the Secret Service)

Montana Smith said:
I don't think there would be any contradiction. I always imagined Indy was a seasoned adventurer when he first appeared on screen. The Young Indy series then confirmed that.

StoneTriple said:
I always imagined Indy was a seasoned adventurer when he first appeared on screen.

Absolutely!

There is no way either Raiders or Temple were his first real adventures. It's clear with the character's introduction during the Chachapoyan temple portion of Raiders that we are meeting an already very experienced adventurer\archeologist.

I'll make a little clarification.

In "Raiders of the Lost Ark" Indy explicitly says that he does NOT believe in anything mysterious and supernatural.
This undoubtly implies that the very first time he had ever experienced strange and inexplicable events was in "Temple of Doom", right before his mind was totally erased by the voodoo magic of the blood of Kali.

Of course he was already a veteran "adventurer" in the thirties. But his previous adventures were probably just common, monotonous archaeological expeditions or, at best, rocambolesque chases against Belloq or other similar rivals. Nothing really worth an Indiana Jones movie, if you ask me, mainly because:

NOTHING SUPERNATURAL >>> NOTHING INTERESTING.

So, "Raiders" and "Temple" were meant to be his first real adventures in that sense (note that in the previous post I had already highlighted the word REAL, because I was meaning exactly this), and Lucas and Spielberg clearly intended that when they wrote and directed the films. A prequel to the original trilogy is completely useless.

P.S. Personally, I've never considered the Young Indy Series and the novels / comics to be canon, because, face it... at the origins, they were not meant to be. Even now, they aren't, if one wanted to be sincere.

Montana Smith

The Stranger said:

In "Raiders of the Lost Ark" Indy explicitly says that he does NOT believe in anything mysterious and supernatural.
This undoubtly implies that the very first time he had ever experienced strange and inexplicable events was in "Temple of Doom", right before his mind was totally erased by the voodoo magic of the blood of Kali.

Of course he was already a veteran "adventurer" in the thirties. But his previous adventures were probably just common, monotonous archaeological expeditions or, at best, rocambolesque chases against Belloq or other similar rivals. Nothing really worth an Indiana Jones movie, if you ask me, mainly because:

So, "Raiders" and "Temple" were meant to be his first real adventures in that sense (note that in the previous post I had already highlighted the word REAL, because I was meaning exactly this), and Lucas and Spielberg clearly intended that when they wrote and directed the films. A prequel to the original trilogy is completely useless.

Since TOD was a prequel to ROTLA, it's always been obvioius that Indy's skepticism did not equal disbelief. There's no evidence his memory was "erased". He believed in the supernatural - and the reasons are laid out in threads devoted to Indy's beliefs. He merely employs an attitude of professional skepticism.

StoneTriple

The Stranger said:

This undoubtly implies that .......
Now here's my little clarification;

Your post undoubtedly proves that no one is ever wrong on the internet. :rolleyes:

StoneTriple

The Stranger said:

TYPING IN ALL CAPS DOESN'T MAKE YOUR THOUGHTS MORE VALID THAN THE WAY LUCAS AND SPIELBERG CREATED THE CHARACTER.

Here is George Lucas' outline of the character of Indiana Jones, including his background, from the first Raiders script conference between himself, Spielberg, and Kasdan.

George Lucas - He's the guy who's been all around the world. He's a soldier of fortune... He is an archeologist and an anthropologist. A Ph.D. He's a doctor, he's a college professor. What happened is, he's also a sort of rough and tumble guy. But he got involved in going in and getting antiquities. Sort of searching out antiquities. And it became a very lucrative profession so he, rather than be an archeologist, he became sort of an outlaw archeologist.

He really started being a grave robber, for hire, is what it really came down to. And the museums would hire him to steal things out of tombs and stuff. Or, locate them. In the archeology circles he knows everybody, so he's sort
of like a private detective grave robber. A museum will give him an assignment... A bounty hunter.

I thought it would be interesting to have him be a sort of expert on the occult, as an offshoot of the anthropological side of this thing. He has a tendency to get into situations where there are taboos, voodoos, things, especially when you start dealing with pyramids you get into all that?A study of ancient religions and voodoo and all that kind of stuff?He?s a sort of archeological exorcist?.He gets involved with sacred temples and curses and all that stuff. And actually some were real, he came across some real curses and stuff.

His past is much more than just "common, monotonous archaeological expeditions", and certainly worthy of being realized on film.

You are just contributing to weaken your own point with things you write.

As Lucas says in that quote, Indiana Jones is an expert of occult, he has been all around the world, and scrupolously studied ancient religions and voodoo and all that kind of stuff...

Well, now, let me put it really simple:

Marcus. What are you trying to do, scare me? You sound like my mother. We've known each other for a long time. I don't believe in magic, it's just a lot of superstitious hocus pocus.

Do you really think that an expert of occult, that has traveled the world many times and seen more things than any other man on this earth would say something like that if he wasn't 100% sure of the fact that supernatural things JUST DOES NOT exist at all??

He gets involved with sacred temples and curses and all that stuff. And actually some were real, he came across some real curses and stuff.

Guess what. That's exactly the premise for "Raiders" and "Temple"...

StoneTriple said:
TYPING IN ALL CAPS DOESN'T MAKE YOUR THOUGHTS MORE VALID THAN THE WAY LUCAS AND SPIELBERG CREATED THE CHARACTER.

Acting like a smart a** will not make you seem you are right. Because you are not. No offense, I just didn't appreciate your tone. I wrote that sentence in caps because it was one of the main points of my previous post, and I wanted it to stand out.

Montana Smith said:
There's no evidence his memory was "erased". He believed in the supernatural - and the reasons are laid out in threads devoted to Indy's beliefs. He merely employs an attitude of professional skepticism.

This doesn't convince me at all. You think that if you saw a man with his heart being ripped off the chest while he continues to live you could be able to employ an attitude of professional skepticism?? No, man, absolutely no way. Indy just can't remember that, and the assumption that this is because of the blood of Kali just seems to be the more reasonable. And possibly this was exactly what Lucas and Spielberg wanted when they wrote "Temple".

Montana Smith

The Stranger said:
This doesn't convince me at all. You think that if you saw a man with his heart being ripped off the chest while he continues to live you could be able to employ an attitude of professional skepticism?? No, man, absolutely no way. Indy just can't remember that, and the assumption that this is because of the blood of Kali just seems to be the more reasonable. And possibly this was exactly what Lucas and Spielberg wanted when they wrote "Temple".

Marcus. What are you trying to do, scare me? You sound like my mother. We've known each other for a long time. I don't believe in magic, it's just a lot of superstitious hocus pocus.

I never believed that Indy meant that. It has been discussed on numerous occasions here how Indy approaches each new supernatural occurence with skepticism. He's a professional, and he's aware of hoaxes. He knows that the supernatural exists: in 1935 he was invoking Shiva to bring power to the Sankara Stones. That is, he was consciously drawing on his occult knowledge to bring about an effect. Even if he forgot about by 1936, he still knew enough to try the spell in 1935.

He's smart enough to keep quiet about it, considering how his reputation might be damaged by disbelievers in his academic field.

StoneTriple was right in drawing attention to the Raiders Story Conference Transcripts, as they set out the intention for Indy to be aversed with the supernatural. Why else would Indy wave his hand through a shaft of light in the Chachjapoyan temple, if he didn't suspect an inexplicable trap?

StoneTriple

The Stranger said:
You are just contributing to weaken your own point with things you write.
Right out of the Never Being Wrong On The Internet 101 handbook.

The Stranger said:
Acting like a smart a** will not make you seem you are right. Because you are not.

...I'll make a little clarification.

...Well, now, let me put it really simple:

...Guess what.

Right back at you, kid.

Faleel

The Stranger said:

P.S. Personally, I've never considered the Young Indy Series and the novels / comics to be canon, because, face it... at the origins, they were not meant to be. Even now, they aren't, if one wanted to be sincere.
except the fact that he encountered the Sankara Stones burning through the bag AFTER the blood, and he mentions that he was attacked by one of Lao Che's sons AND [non-canon]The Emporer's Tomb takes place BEFORE TOD......[non-canon]

Hanselation

of course there could be a prequel

Because this topic is called: Should there be a prequel ....

Even Indy 6 (should) could be a prequel because Shia could play Young Indiana Jones as a twenth. He would get an Indiana Jones hairstyle and voila, like they did it in Last Crusade with River Phoenix, there will be a cut and the main part of the movie we will see Harrison as Indy. So this scenario makes it possible, that we see Harrsion and Shia in Indy6, without the situation that Indy knows he has a son -but also without Marion. And it opens the door for Shia to play Indiana Jones afterwards in more Indiana Jones prequels.

By the way: Harrison is a helicopter pilot, it would be nice to see Indy flying a helicopter(-chase?) in the next installment ;) .