Trilogy on Blu-Ray

Crack that whip

Montana Smith said:
What a swindle!

Play.com is advertizing it as a "Journal", but Amazon.co.uk is calling it a "Reproduction Holy Grail prop (144 pages)".

I think the fact it's given a page count rather than, say, a serving capacity measurement ("holds 8 fluid ounces," say) is fair indication it's not actually a reproduction of the Grail. :p ;)

IndyBr

Crack that whip said:
I think the fact it's given a page count rather than, say, a serving capacity measurement ("holds 8 fluid ounces," say) is fair indication it's not actually a reproduction of the Grail. :p ;)

Yeah, but it's not a reprint of the entire Lost Journal since it have only 144 pages.. it seems they took out some of the content (probably all the Young Indy pages) and put only a few pages of the Grail Diary in it... you can notice some changes in the video.

Well... I'll return the item and go with the standard edition, I'm not paying extra money for something that I already have. :mad:

Montana Smith

I got caught up in the hype and pre-ordered the Collectore's set.

A couple of weeks ago I came to my senses and cancelled them, as I realized I had no inclination in watching the films again any time soon.

What I ordered in replacement (on special offer at the time from HMV) is so much better! :D

IndyBr

Montana Smith said:
I got caught up in the hype and pre-ordered the Collectore's set.

A couple of weeks ago I came to my senses and cancelled them, as I realized I had no inclination in watching the films again any time soon.

What I ordered in replacement (on special offer at the time from HMV) is so much better! :D

You choose wisely. :)
Too bad I didn't come to MY senses. Oh well... living and learning. Next time I will not fall for the same trap.

Sakis

TR.N Staff Member
Thank god I never bought the Lost Journal. :D Today I received confirmation that my order was dispatched.(y)

Crack that whip

I have to admit in all honesty, I'd still prefer the CE even if the journal is just a reprint of the Lost Journal, since it has the other stuff (the matchbook, the photos, the rubbing, etc.). However, since I'm still not even sure I'd be able to watch all the standard-definition supplements on my US hardware, and it'd be more expensive anyway, I've decided to cave and just get the US release.

I do at least intend to get the Target-exclusive version with the prints, though. I very nearly bought it yesterday, in fact (the last day of a sale Target was running on the set), but I need to hold off for a little longer to put my money toward other things in the immediate future. I hope the lithograph set remains available that long...

IndyBr

Crack that whip said:
I have to admit in all honesty, I'd still prefer the CE even if the journal is just a reprint of the Lost Journal, since it has the other stuff (the matchbook, the photos, the rubbing, etc.).

I'm not so sure, most of the "in-universe" material is from the the Lost Journal. The rubbing (only it's bigger now), the photo of Indy in Cairo and his photo with his father. The Matchbook is the only new thing. Even the "rare stills" aren't that rare... and there's the film cell, but I'm not much into it.

Montana Smith

Crack that whip said:
Well, the original book doesn't come with those things as separate items, right?

Another consideration that hit me was, what was I going to do with all that extra junk? The only things of interest might have been the tickets and matchbook.

Randolph Carter

russds said:
This video is mainly an interview with John Rhys-Davies, but in the beginning (i think - it's in german;) ) it's talking about the recent release of the blu ray. It actually shows some of the deleted scenes i believe. Can anybody confirm the shots starting at 1:02 are from the blu-ray, or are these from some other source?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=iPtJtZg6abw

Thanks for the link, that's a great segment! :)

(It's in Danish, by the way.)

Stoo

IndyBr said:
Here's a review of the Collector's edition I found in youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0oveWQAIf0

Damn... I was watching the video and Montana is right... it's the Lost Journal reprinted!
I'm really disapointed with that, since I was expecting the grail diary... I wouldn't have bought it if I knew...

I guess I'll just return the box and get my money back.
Thanks for posting the link, IndyBr. It's clearly obvious that this chrisjwebb1 guy is NOT a hardcore Indy fan. He is some schmoe who collects Blu-rays and likes to film himself opening them up.:rolleyes: Over 120 videos!:eek: (He even bought "Hook" on Blu-ray! For the love of G_d..."Hook"?!?:sick:)

That aside, here's what the genius, chrisjwebb1, had to say about the set:

Box - "Very nice design."
Tablet rubbing - "A nice, little touch. Looks like authentic. That's very nice."
Matchbook - "That's a nice, litte touch."
Zeppelin tickets - "Very nice."
Pan Am ticket - "It's really nicely detailed. Very nice."
Photo of young Indy & dad - "Again it looks real and that's very nice."
Photo cards - "Very nice. There's only 4 but, again, a nice touch."
Journal - "A very nice touch."
Blu-ray packaging - "Nice, um, cardboard, uh, sleeve." + "Some very nice artwork."

What a 'very bad' review!:rolleyes::p
Crack that whip said:
I have to admit in all honesty, I'd still prefer the CE even if the journal is just a reprint of the Lost Journal, since it has the other stuff (the matchbook, the photos, the rubbing, etc.).
The main reason I want it is for the box/case. Not only does it look "nice" but it will sit "nicely" beside the Young Indy volumes.:D
Montana Smith said:
Another consideration that hit me was, what was I going to do with all that extra junk?
Put it with all of your other junk!:p

Last edited:

Montana Smith

Stoo said:
That aside, here's what the genius, chrisjwebb1, had to say about the set:

Box - "Very nice design."
Tablet rubbing - "A nice, little touch. Looks like authentic. That's very nice."
Matchbook - "That's a nice, litte touch."
Zeppelin tickets - "Very nice."
Pan Am ticket - "It's really nicely detailed. Very nice."
Photo of young Indy & dad - "Again it looks real and that's very nice."
Photo cards - "Very nice. There's only 4 but, again, a nice touch."
Journal - "A very nice touch."
Blu-ray packaging - "Nice, um, cardboard, uh, sleeve." + "Some very nice artwork."

What a 'very bad' review!:rolleyes::p

What's wrong with it? I though it was a very nice review. :p

Stoo said:
Put it with all of your other junk!:p

But I wouldn't know what to do with a very nice tablet rubbing, some very nice photos of young Indy and his dad, some very nice photo cards, or a very nice reprint of something I already have two of. :confused:

But checking that link I noticed that some photos which inexplicably stopped working are now okay again.

Stoo

Montana Smith said:
What's wrong with it? I though it was a very nice review. :p
The guy says, "nice", more than Whispering Bob Harris!:eek:
Montana Smith said:
But I wouldn't know what to do with a very nice tablet rubbing,...
Weren't you paying attention to chrisjwebb1?:confused: The tablet rubbing is NOT "very nice". It is just "nice" (likewise with the matchbook & cardboard sleeve). There is a clear difference between the two descriptions!:whip:
Montana Smith said:
But checking that link I noticed that some photos which inexplicably stopped working are now okay again.
That's nice to know.:p

Montana Smith

Stoo said:
The guy says, "nice", more than Whispering Bob Harris!:eek:
Weren't you paying attention to chrisjwebb1?:confused: The tablet rubbing is NOT "very nice". It is just "nice" (likewise with the matchbook & cardboard sleeve). There is a clear difference between the two descriptions!:whip:

This is all very Smashie and Nicey.

smashy-and-nicey_thumb2-300x205.jpg

But I'm still not ordering it again!

Stoo

Smiffy said:
This is all very Smashie and Nicey.
Smashie and Nicey?:confused: Don't know 'em.
Rocket Surgeon said:
Just received the BluRays in the mail in a plain white package/envelope from an address in Philadelphia.

I entered a handfull of give-a-ways and was pleasantly surprised to open the mail just now!

Can't figure out which one it was though!

Amazing.:D
To that, 'Whispering' Bob Harris says: "Nice."(y)

bobharris.jpg

Sakis

TR.N Staff Member
I just saw Raiders on my friend's 55" tv screen and it was A-W-E-S-O-M-E. They did a wonderful job.

JackBurton

The journal is different. A lot of Grail diary pages are added and the young Indy section from the lost journal is trimmed down. It also seems that there are some alternate pages for the other movies. Have to check it out. Here is a video I found which shows the content really nice :D ;) (start at 3:30)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/JuRj6xgRfPM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Crack that whip

JackBurton said:
The journal is different. A lot of Grail diary pages are added and the young Indy section from the lost journal is trimmed down.

Whoa! I'd expect them to trim pages not pertaining to the movies, but adding ones?