Most Unbelievable Indy Scene of all-Time!

What is the most unbelievable Indy scene in the entire trilogy?

• ROTLA: Indy finds an entrance on a water-sealed German submarine

Votes: 12 9.8%
  • ROTLA: Indy and Sallah are able to lift a half-ton stone tomb covering the Ark of the Covenant

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • TOD: Indy, Willie and Short Round safely parachute out of plane in a life raft

Votes: 37 30.1%
  • TOD: The mining cart makes a massive air jump over uncompleted track and lands perfectly aligned

Votes: 45 36.6%
  • LC: Indy breaks the 8-inch thick marble floor of the Venice library with a rope-holding post

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • LC: Indy opens eyes while submerged in the Venice oil catacombs and is able to find an escape route

Votes: 13 10.6%

• Total voters
Dr. Gonzo said:
The two from "Doom" are just impossible to me.

But If I had to really vote It has to be a certain scene that some of you know I am talking about from "Crystal Skull"

I know exactly what you mean. IMPOSSIBLE!

Stoo

Agent Spalko said:
If it was filmed then obviously it wasn't used for a very good reason. It wasn't necessary. Occam's Razor still prevails.:p
Somes scenes are dropped for time constraints or because they just simply don't turn out well (which was probably the case here).
Crack that whip said:
As noted, there's nothing to indicate the sub submerged at all (and plenty of apocrypha to indicate it didn't, or at least not completely, periscope and all)
My German isn't good enough to determine exactly what the dialogue is but you can hear the dive klaxon sounding
and some men are turning the ballast wheels. They are diving! The officers immediately start using the periscope.
Of course, the submerge isn't deep but definitely beneath the water's surface. Care to wiggle you way out that, Spalky?;)
(Any German-speaking people here who could provide a translation?)
Crack that whip said:
note even the track on the expanded DCC soundtrack album includes a triumphant snippet of Indy's "Raiders March" theme that, judging from its placement, sounds like it was intended to accompany shots of Indy tied to the periscope as the sub goes on its way, intercut into the red line / map montage).
Further evidence!(y)

bonoferox

Skipper said:
How about, Indy experiences first-hand the supernatural powers of the Sankara stones, and then a year later tells Marcus "I don't believe in magic, a bunch of superstitious hocus-pocus."

Good point!

Crack that whip

Stoo said:
My German isn't good enough to determine exactly what the dialogue is but you can hear the dive klaxon sounding
and some men are turning the ballast wheels. They are diving! The officers immediately start using the periscope.

Yeah; sorry, I do know that, of course, but was thinking "completely submerged" (i.e., periscope and all) but muddled my writing, inadvertently arguing the inarguable partial submerge might not have happened.

Crack that whip said:
Yeah; sorry, I do know that, of course, but was thinking "completely submerged" (i.e., periscope and all) but muddled my writing, inadvertently arguing the inarguable partial submerge might not have happened.

The periscope theory is laughable. I remember seeing that in the comic book and thought it was ridiculous that they would leave the periscope up for the entire journey to the island. Sorry, I just don't buy it. Scenes may have been filmed but were obviously cut for precisely the reason why it doesn't work.

Crack that whip

Agent Spalko said:
The periscope theory is laughable. I remember seeing that in the comic book and thought it was ridiculous that they would leave the periscope up for the entire journey to the island. Sorry, I just don't buy it. Scenes may have been filmed but were obviously cut for precisely the reason why it doesn't work.

Oh? And what's the reason it doesn't work? It's actually what I automatically assumed to be the case back when I first saw the movie, even before I read anything indicating they'd actually shot scenes for it.

Stoo

Crack that whip said:
No malice intended. I should have been more astute in my writing as well. The post was aimed, mainly, at Agent Spalko
who doesn't seem to want to accept the provided proof (script, comic & photos of said scenes) and I was using your
quotes to help illustrate my point. Now having been exposed to the irrefutable evidence in the actual film itself,
I'm willing to accept her surrender.:D

Agent Spalko said:
The periscope theory is laughable.
Which is the whole point of this thread!:p This periscope discussion is simply meant to clarify that Indy did not get inside
the submarine as the poll options suggests. So, I guess Indy's persicope/whip trick gets your vote for most unbelievable, then?

Last edited:
Crack that whip said:
Oh? And what's the reason it doesn't work? It's actually what I automatically assumed to be the case back when I first saw the movie, even before I read anything indicating they'd actually shot scenes for it.

Seriously, they are going to keep the periscope up and travel at periscope depth ALL the way to the island with Indy clinging on to the perisocope all the way there for hundreds of miles? Please. They were not in hostile waters so they had no reason to submerge at all. Indy could have ridden all the way there safely on deck. He slipped back in the water when they were docking into port and sneaks out where we next see him wet and and watching Belloq and Marion from behind cover before he is stopped by the soldier and he steals his uniform.

Stoo said:
So, I guess Indy's persicope/whip trick gets your vote for most unbelievable, then?
Let's suppose the sub was traveling at 30 knots (about 30 mph) and Indy is holding onto the whip trudging water for hundreds of miles, it would be like swimming across the English channel. It's amazing that he was able to even hold on that long.

Last edited:

Stoo

Agent Spalko said:
Sure. Why isn't that on the list? :D
Well, this is what I suggested in post #5 but the poll can't be edited.
I'll tell you why the scene was cut, Indy didn't have his whip!:whip:
(Maybe he hung on. He's got strong arms, that Indy...)

Can someone post that image from the Marvel comic book adaptation? Pretty sure he had the whip even though continuity-wise it was still in Katanga's cabin.

Stoo

Agent Spalko said:
Can someone post that image from the Marvel comic book adaptation? Pretty sure he had the whip even though continuity-wise it was still in Katanga's cabin.
Ha! I mentioned the whip in the Marvel comic and you dismissed the scene as artistic license. Now you want to refer to it?:rolleyes:
I'll run circles around you, Spalko.:whip:

The Marvel comic is based on an early draft and Indy is dressed in FULL gear when he reaches the submarine.
In the film, he's just wearing his pants & shirt with NO gear (and doesn't even seem to have his Browning that
he jammed into his trousers).

In any case, regardless of whether he had the whip or not, the submarine dives (as the film attests).
You must admit that...How Dr. Jones survives the actual journey is moot.
Seriously, they are going to keep the periscope up and travel at periscope depth ALL the way to the island with Indy clinging on to the perisocope all the way there for hundreds of miles? Please.
No one has claimed that it was underwater for the entire journey. Why do you persist in ignoring the facts?

The Drifter

Clearly Indiana Jones is like his twin brother; Kevin Costner in Waterworld. He has gills behind his ears, thus he was a-okay underwater hanging on to the sub.

Ignoring what FACTS? We have no concrete evidence it did. The German background dialogue may suggest that it does but it's highly improbable.

And I am just curious as to that image from the comic book because I vaguely have that image in my mind from over 25 years ago and I remember reading it and laughing out loud. I found it amusing. Someone please post it so I can have a good laugh at it again. Maybe I'll crawl into the attic and dig it out of my box of old comic books.

Obviously it errs in more ways than one if Indy is dressed in full gear, jacket and all. His gear was in Katanga's cabin. Somehow I don't think if the scene was actually filmed he was wearing them so again, another example of creative artistic license there.

This from imdb:

Indy clings to the periscope of the submarine all the way to the secret base by wrapping his whip around it and himself. It explains how he managed to survive in the sea all that time. However, prior to the advent of nuclear power, submarines were designed as surface ships that could go under water. They only submerged for defensive purposes. So, it is quite plausible that the German U-boat would have sailed on the surface of the water the entire time, enabling Indiana Jones to survive the trip without having to cling to the periscope.

Obviously the scene was dropped because of a simpler explanation, one that wasn't so contrived.

subsmall.jpg