Chase sequence for Indy 5

Udvarnoky

Someone mentioned putting Indy on horseback again, which I'm a huge proponent of as it truly has that 30s serial feel and there's no convincing way they can do it without real stuntwork. Raiders and Last Crusade had great moments of Indy riding a horse to get to the main chase sequence, but what about a chase that took place entirely with everybody on horseback? Or maybe animals in general - Temple of Doom had people riding elephants for practical purposes, but having people fighting on top of them would be pretty great. I can imagine, like, a giant stampede sequence in which Indy and the bad guys are shooting at each other while hopping from animal to animal, with the less graceful ones ending up trampled.

I also wouldn't mind getting a chase on the water. Something like that motorboat sequence in Venice in Last Crusade, but better and on a larger scale. Darabont's biplane sequence is also a pretty awesome attempt at a sky-based chase as well (again, a much expanded version of what we saw in Last Crusade).

JP Jones

Udvarnoky said:
Someone mentioned putting Indy on horseback again, which I'm a huge proponent of as it truly has that 30s serial feel and there's no convincing way they can do it without real stuntwork. Raiders and Last Crusade had great moments of Indy riding a horse to get to the main chase sequence, but what about a chase that took place entirely with everybody on horseback? Or maybe animals in general - Temple of Doom had people riding elephants for practical purposes, but having people fighting on top of them would be pretty great. I can imagine, like, a giant stampede sequence in which Indy and the bad guys are shooting at each other while hopping from animal to animal, with the less graceful ones ending up trampled.

I also wouldn't mind getting a chase on the water. Something like that motorboat sequence in Venice in Last Crusade, but better and on a larger scale. Darabont's biplane sequence is also a pretty awesome attempt at a sky-based chase as well (again, a much expanded version of what we saw in Last Crusade).
I never liked him on the horse. There was the jump onto the tank in LC but other than that horses are just not as fun as giant logging machines or jeeps. I would personally be very disapointed if they had a big chase with just horses.

Udvarnoky

Fair enough, but if they use another vehicle with giant spinning blades, then I hope it's not too much to ask that they're actually used for something this time.

The Drifter

Udvarnoky said:
Fair enough, but if they use another vehicle with giant spinning blades, then I hope it's not too much to ask that they're actually used for something this time.

What do you mean?
The machine with the spinning blades was used for something in KotCS. It was used to cut down the trees and brush to make a makeshift road for the convoy.

JP Jones

Logging chase

Short Round has been looking for the McGuffin for the Korean government and he has just found the McGuffin and is escaping, Indy comes to wherever the McGuffin is supposed to be, and it's not there. He sees him driving away so he gets on Mutt's motorcycle and the chase insues.

Indy, riding on the back of mutt's motorcycle comes in from the left and jumps onto short round's truck. Short Round says"Doctor Jones?"
and Indy replies "Shortie?"

They become allies,but they Koreans are still on their tail. They split up half go to catch mutt and the other half go for Indy.They enter a logging area. I don't want to bore you but there's a lot of shooting and punching. Back to Mutt; hes in a thick jungle and the koreans are shooting at him. Then he makes a witty desicion to go between 2 trees just skinny enough for the motercycle. As you gues the koreans on his trail crash.

The koreans are now in these huge logging machines. They chop and grind huge trees. Indy sees these and says "Shortie, step on it" Now, like a knight in shining armor mutt comes down from the mountains in his motorcycle he asks Indy"who's this?" Indy tells him about Shortie until he is interupted by a log passing right in front of them. They avoid the logs and the main fight will come right after this. Indy fighting the heavy colonel while on top of the giant machine:whip:

MaverickKing

Hmm. We've had a great truck chase, a rollicking mine cart chase, and a brutal tank showdown... and some mediocre stuff in Kingdom.

I think the biplane sequence from Frank Darabont's City of Gods script would work really well. It read like a great visceral sequence, and would translate well to film. Except for the monkey poop bit.

lao che & sons

Interesting story kotcs,

But I thought shorty moved to the us and went to boarding school. So why would he work for korea? But other than that it's great so far!:D

JP Jones

lao che & sons said:
Interesting story kotcs,

But I thought shorty moved to the us and went to boarding school. So why would he work for korea? But other than that it's great so far!:D
If lao che is korean his sons could've kidnapped Shorty and forced him to find the McGuffin.

Goonie

Maybe they could do a simple running chase. it could be like the end scenes of a Benny Hill sketch. Speed it up a few frames and cue Yakety Sax.
(y) (y)

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/spz8_rpE0e0&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/spz8_rpE0e0&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

MaverickKing

The logging chase would be awesome, granted.

Be cool if they could borrow some scenes from Staff of Kings, like the cable car chase, or elephant getaway. They're rather inspired, actually.

In fact, why didn't Lucas just make Staff of Kings the story for Indy IV? May have been a lot better.

Col. Detritch

All very interesting. I espesially liked the logging chase and the air boat idea. Plus the air fight would really work (deffinatly Frank Darabont's biplane duel! Genius!:gun: ) I don't see much potential for the New Orleans, even as an opening scene (I don't like Indy in crowded citys to much).

I would love to see a snow blower. Its a bit inspired off the tank and the Jungle Cutter. The snow blower could be ploughing a path through the dense snow followd by a convoy of trucks and snow mobiles. Indy must take a snow mobile and make his way through the motorcade. He boards the snow blower and confronts a tough Colonel we've seen for the entire movie assisting the villian as a right-hand man. Then in keeping in tradition with grusom death sequences the Colonel could fall over the front anf land in the snow shreader. Then we see bloody snow shoot out of the blower.
Colonel out!:hat:

JP Jones

Following the logging chase Indy jumps onto a huge wood grinding death machine that the Colonel is driving. Mutt and Shorty are trying to escape with the McGuffin. Indy throws the colonel onto a platform on the machine. After a few punches The colonel punches Indy strait in the face. He loses his balance and nearly falls into the spinning blades.
Indy then regains balance, he swings on the part of the machine that spits out chips, and kicks the Colonel clean in the face. The Colonel then smashes against the glass windshield and breaks it. A few more punches ,and Indy gives him a kick to the gut and the Colonel is chopped up into little bits. Then he jumps onto a passing jeep, makes quick work of the korean deiving it, and moves on.
Back to Mutt and Shorty; they're avoiding lots of stumps until shorty hits one with the jeep and the McGuffin flies to the ground. They look back and see Indy driving the jeep towards them.While the jeep is in motion He leans over and grabs the McGuffin. He flashes his signature smile and the scene ends.

JP Jones

Now that I think of it a plane chase could be fun. You could have a Tod-like scene where indy is stretched from one plane to the next and they drift apart. My only problem is what kind of planes would you use other than biplanes.
Any ideas?

JP Jones

They were biplanes, but biplanes are just, eh, not that cool. There's other kinds of planes that could work I just don't know what. I think a plane chase could be a really fun and unique concept, if they did everything perfectly.
That being said, I'm still a logging chase supporter because That seems like there's more opportunity for good old fashioned stuntwork. And we don't have to see minutes of Indy just flying a plane.