Go Back   The Raven > The Films > Indiana Jones 5
User Name
Password

Old 07-12-2003, 03:47 AM   #1
bob
IndyFan

Indy Indy without Indy

'allo

This is not really a propostion for Indy IV, but the question is 'can the Indy series exist without Indy?'; of course this will sound absurd but could the world of Indy shift to another character such as his son or daughter; is there anything else to the Indy universe other than the character of Indiana Jones?

Once Indy retires will there be a succsessor that can hand down the fedora who can adventure through the 1950's, 60's and 70's (shudder)
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2003, 06:32 AM   #2
Pale Horse

I want to get back to this in a few, but you said 70's and I thought Austin Powers....sorry.

Pale Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2003, 09:38 AM   #3
Attila the Professor

Not to sound dogmatic or anything, but the limit of Indy's world is about 1850-1960. Anything further than that, and we're getting into civil rights, the sexual revolution, Vietnam, Imperialism is really on it's way out, and archaeology itself is regulated so much I don't think we can see an Indy film as having much realism (all things considered, the films do have a certain "this could happen" feel to them).

Perhaps the Indy character could make it past 1960, but not a successor-type, who doesn't have a link to the golden age of adventure, i.e. the 1930's.
Attila the Professor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2003, 01:33 PM   #4
bob
IndyFan

Hey dont shoot the messanger....

When LC was released who would have thought that Indy fight in the great war and hang out with almost every single famous historical character....

Is there any way the series could function without Henry "Indiana" Jones Jr
Old 07-12-2003, 07:09 PM   #5
wolfgang
IndyFan

No, indy can't be without indy!nuff said.
wolfgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2003, 12:12 AM   #6
FordFan
IndyFan

How would you like to see a Terminator movie without Arnold Schwarzenegger? You wouldn't. You've already invested in that character and Arnold embodies the terminator. Harrison embodies Indiana Jones. So much so, that if anyone else played the role, I think you'd have a flop on your hands.
FordFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2003, 08:54 PM   #7
KyleRipman
IndyFan

I agree.
And if he were to pass down the fedora, so to speak, the new Jones would seem like a cheap imitation compared to Ford.
KyleRipman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2003, 09:00 PM   #8
Pale Horse

It is the character that drives this saga, not the plot or story. Probably why some of us more discrening fans (read bob, swords, Attila, others...) want to see Indy developed in unique, dark, and questionable ways. The story is merely a backdrop. Out of the three movies, Sankara was the weakest, but we also learned the most about who Indy is...
Old 07-13-2003, 10:26 PM   #9
ccc123
IndyFan

It would be terrible without Indy, just look at "The Next Karate Kid". That movie flopped big time, gee I wonder why...
ccc123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2003, 11:30 PM   #10
Pale Horse

The Mask of Zorro was just on tonight here in the U.S. I really like the way they approached the legend of who Zorro is. I wonder how something like that would play out in a later Indy installment; as this one is him on his own.
Old 07-27-2003, 03:13 PM   #11
CB27
IndyFan

I don't think that the "Indy" series can survive without Indy. However, I think it is possible for a sidekick(son or not) to be introduced most likely in a 5th movie, and then be spun off into a DIFFERENT movie series. If they drop the Indy title for the new series and give the character a good balance of Indy-like qualities and his own unique qualities, I think it could work. Nobody wants to see just another actor playing virtually the exact same character, but an entirely different character with the same Indy-type adventures has the potential to be successful in my opinion.
CB27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2003, 08:40 PM   #12
Pale Horse

An interesting idea CB

and because our resident tender 00Kevin is gone, let me say

Welcome to the Raven, "ware paths kaross"
Old 07-28-2003, 10:39 AM   #13
bob
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally posted by FordFan
How would you like to see a Terminator movie without Arnold Schwarzenegger? You wouldn't. You've already invested in that character and Arnold embodies the terminator. Harrison embodies Indiana Jones. So much so, that if anyone else played the role, I think you'd have a flop on your hands.

Well just to use that as an example the terminator films are based in a universe that do not nessecerily require Arnie or any other character for that matter. As the Terminator movies provide a premise and a sci fi universe.

Now the Indy films do not ENTIRELY revolve around the character of Indy, Indys world is obviously one that is very different to reality, in my opinion at a stretch another character could work within his universe and perhaps go after the Ark while retaining some of the spirit of the series.
Old 07-31-2003, 09:28 AM   #14
Venture
IndyFan

I agree in the area of Terminator. As a matter of fact, it had a successful cult-comic following without any mention of Schwarzenegger. But Indy's world is just that...Indy's world. It could exist independently of him personally, but not without some heavy and perpetual reference. A child, grandchild, etc., that would mention or remember Indy, displays of artifacts, so on and so forth.

And a fedora, of course.
Venture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2003, 08:49 PM   #15
Pale Horse

The great thing about the terminator movies is that Arnold was able to evolve. In the first he was a manical machine.

In the second he became the hero. I haven't seen the third, but I do know he struggles between the two.

What if Indy 4 had an Indy that became like Belloq, you know "archeologist gone wild"? We still get Harrison, but in a completely different way.
Old 08-11-2003, 09:02 AM   #16
Randy_Flagg
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally posted by ccc123
It would be terrible without Indy, just look at "The Next Karate Kid". That movie flopped big time, gee I wonder why...

Exactly. That's why Ralph Macchio should star as the next Indiana Jones!
Randy_Flagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2003, 12:53 PM   #17
thing73vw
IndyFan

I see where you are going with that. I really dont like the idea.. but i understand it. I would much rather see Indiana Jones carry on when Harrison Ford is unable to be Indy anymore. Find an actor that can play Indy. It is hard to imagine anyone else as Indy though. River Phoenix would have been perfect had he not been such a moron with the drugs.
thing73vw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 09:42 AM   #18
Goodsport
IndyFan

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob
Once Indy retires will there be a succsessor that can hand down the fedora who can adventure through the 1950's, 60's and 70's (shudder)

Mutt Williams, perhaps?

-G
Goodsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 09:51 AM   #19
RaideroftheArk
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordFan

It's funny that you mention this...there are 3 terminator movies coming out that do not involve Arnold as the Terminator.
RaideroftheArk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 09:54 AM   #20
ResidentAlien

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaideroftheArk
It's funny that you mention this...there are 3 terminator movies coming out that do not involve Arnold as the Terminator.

It's funny that you're responding to a post that's 5 years old.
ResidentAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 09:58 AM   #21
RaideroftheArk
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResidentAlien
It's funny that you're responding to a post that's 5 years old.

My god I didn't even check the date...I was just reading through and got to the last post that was marked "today" and decided to pull a quote... It's early for me, my brain isn't working yet.
Old 05-14-2008, 09:59 AM   #22
deckard24
IndyFan

Indy without Indy, I sincerely hope not!!

A spin-off series seems to definitely be a possibility, with Shia/Mutt being the obvious candidate. The big issue here already addressed is the time period. An adventure series set in the 60's-70's just wouldn't work, hence that's why the Indy films have all been in the 30's with the exception of KOTCS. The time period of KOTCS was also really only set to coincide with Ford's real age, and the passing of time of the character.

I for one would rather another film with Ford then a spin-off, but that's looking highly unlikely! For me it's either that, or end the series now! Call me crazy, but spin-offs would just seem to cheapen and tarnish the memory of this great movie series. The scarier prospect to me then spin offs are remakes!! I have no doubt that in the not too distant future we'll see some remakes of some real classics. I wouldn't put it past Hollywood to remake Raiders, Jaws, Star Wars, A Clockwork Orange, 2001: A Space Odyssey, and The Excorcist, just to name a few.
deckard24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 10:06 AM   #23
RaideroftheArk
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckard24
Indy without Indy, I sincerely hope not!!

A spin-off series seems to definitely be a possibility, with Shia/Mutt being the obvious candidate. The big issue here already addressed is the time period. An adventure series set in the 60's-70's just wouldn't work, hence that's why the Indy films have all been in the 30's with the exception of KOTCS. The time period of KOTCS was also really only set to coincide with Ford's real age, and the passing of time of the character.

I for one would rather another film with Ford then a spin-off, but that's looking highly unlikely! For me it's either that, or end the series now! Call me crazy, but spin-offs would just seem to cheapen and tarnish the memory of this great movie series. The scarier prospect to me then spin offs are remakes!! I have no doubt that in the not too distant future we'll see some remakes of some real classics. I wouldn't put it past Hollywood to remake Raiders, Jaws, Star Wars, A Clockwork Orange, 2001: A Space Odyssey, and The Excorcist, just to name a few.

I for one believe that this is a one shot deal. I don't think Shia has the star power to pull something like this off, and if they did try, which I can't see GL or SS putting worth the time and energy to develop a spin-off based on his character, there's no way the majority of fans would buy into it.

Even if the production is given to new writers and directors, it's a pretty damn longshot to get something like that to be successful.
Old 05-14-2008, 10:07 AM   #24
deckard24
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaideroftheArk
I for one believe that this is a one shot deal. I don't think Shia has the star power to pull something like this off, and if they did try, which I can't see GL or SS putting worth the time and energy to develop a spin-off based on his character, there's no way the majority of fans would buy into it.

Even if the production is given to new writers and directors, it's a pretty damn longshot to get something like that to be successful.
I hope you're right!
deckard24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 10:14 AM   #25
RaideroftheArk
IndyFan

I hope I'm right too... I just don't see weight behind spin-offs or re-casts...there doesn't seem to be a product to sell or market that will buy it. But then again I guess you can sell anything... I mean Will Smith keeps getting work so I guess anything is possible. (sorry to all you Will Smith fans out there.)