TheRaider.net

Go Back   The Raven > Off Topic > Films
User Name
Password

Old 12-02-2007, 02:37 PM   #1
oki9Sedo
IndyFan

The Godfather Part III

What did you guys think of this film? I just watched it again recently, and while I don't think its half as good as the first two, its an okay film, certainly not the travesty some people make it out to be.
oki9Sedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 02:43 PM   #2
trippweeder
IndyFan

It became very fashionable to bash that movie, but on its own merits, it's very nearly excellent. The opera-intercut finale is still awesome editing.
trippweeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 02:44 PM   #3
ResidentAlien

An utter travesty. And casting Sophia Coppola is one of the biggest casting blunders in history.
ResidentAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 03:55 PM   #4
herr gruber

I thought it was pretty good. Often, any belated sequel has to fight for acceptance and some don't recieve it. Look at Road to Hong Kong with Crosby and Hope. Made years after the original string of movies and is deemed awful. Let's hope our anticipated belated sequel doesn't suffer the same fate.
herr gruber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 04:01 PM   #5
nezobiwan
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResidentAlien
An utter travesty. And casting Sophia Coppola is one of the biggest casting blunders in history.
If you ask me, letting her direct a film might have been a bigger blunder...

... just my brief 2 cents on that subject.
nezobiwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 04:03 PM   #6
ResidentAlien

Quote:
Originally Posted by nezobiwan

Heh... I'd agree, actually.
ResidentAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 04:56 PM   #7
Niteshade007
IndyFan

Yes. Because of her, I wish my last name was Coppola, that way I could be in the film business without actually have to be good at it.
Niteshade007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 12:28 PM   #8
oki9Sedo
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niteshade007
Yes. Because of her, I wish my last name was Coppola, that way I could be in the film business without actually have to be good at it.

Its true to say that Sofia Coppola and Nicolas Cage only got into the film business because of their relationship to FFC, but they're both good (Cage at stupid action movies, Coppola at directing).
Old 12-03-2007, 12:33 PM   #9
oki9Sedo
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by trippweeder
It became very fashionable to bash that movie, but on its own merits, it's very nearly excellent. The opera-intercut finale is still awesome editing.

Thats the thing. It became very fashionable to bash that movie, purely on the basis of it not being a classic like the first two. I wouldn't go so far as to say its nearly excellent (Sofia Coppolla makes DAMN sure of that), but it is quite good.
Old 12-03-2007, 05:41 PM   #10
Matinee Idyll
IndyFan

Quote:

What the hell are you talking about? She's one of the most promising directors to emerge in recent years... Virgin Suicides, and especially Lost in Translation are stunning works.

And before anyone knocks Cage, see Wild at Heart and Birdy.
Matinee Idyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 05:51 PM   #11
nezobiwan
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matinee Idyll
What the hell are you talking about? She's one of the most promising directors to emerge in recent years... Virgin Suicides, and especially Lost in Translation are stunning works.

And before anyone knocks Cage, see Wild at Heart and Birdy.

*shrug* I'm not the only one who thinks Sophia is overrated.

I do like Cage though. I heart "Peggy Sue Got Married" and I can't wait for "National Treasure 2!"
Old 12-03-2007, 06:12 PM   #12
Niteshade007
IndyFan

I also love Peggy Sue Got Married. It's really a fun to watch dramedy that's pretty much overlooked. The only thing that bothers me is Nicholas Cage's voice in that movie. It's a bit too whiny for my liking. But Kathleen Turner is beautiful in that movie.
Old 12-03-2007, 07:09 PM   #13
nezobiwan
IndyFan

Quote:
I also love Peggy Sue Got Married. It's really a fun to watch dramedy that's pretty much overlooked. The only thing that bothers me is Nicholas Cage's voice in that movie. It's a bit too whiny for my liking. But Kathleen Turner is beautiful in that movie.
Sophia plays Peggy's sister! I never knew it for years and years and I found out recently.
Old 12-03-2007, 08:39 PM   #14
Niteshade007
IndyFan

Yeah. She didn't do a horrible job, but she also didn't have a very big part, either.
Old 12-04-2007, 10:43 AM   #15
oki9Sedo
IndyFan

Quote:

He sounds like a eunuch with the testosterone levels of a field mouse ("You mean my wang!")

He actually put on the voice, as opposed to actually sounding like that at that age.
Old 08-15-2008, 03:16 PM   #16
sandiegojones
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by oki9Sedo
Thats the thing. It became very fashionable to bash that movie, purely on the basis of it not being a classic like the first two. I wouldn't go so far as to say its nearly excellent (Sofia Coppolla makes DAMN sure of that), but it is quite good.

I like GFIII, mostly. I blame that clepto b!tch Winonna Ryder for backing out 1 week before the filming started for the failure of this film. Coppola felt this was a more personal film for him than the other two and wrote Michael's daughter (a spoiled and selfish rich girl) based on his own daughter, Sofia. I think he thought it would be easy to insert her into the film because she was the inspiration. Everytime she's on camera, especially with Andy Garcia, it's bad though. just her face and expressions!

Still, they may make #4 and a GFII game is on the way. The game looks good:

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/899/899017p1.html

They should get to a 4th game and add Andy G as the new Don.
sandiegojones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 03:26 PM   #17
The Man
IndyFan

Deeply flawed, yet very, very good. The operatic wipeout sequence is terrific. It's more than worth a reappraisal...

"Don't listen, baby. You ain't that bad..."
The Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 03:32 PM   #18
sandiegojones
IndyFan

What always gets me is Michael's cry at the end. You see the anguish on his face and see his heart break and he's trying to scream as loud as he can, but there's just silence...then we hear him cry and then FFC cuts in a shot from earlier where he is dancing with his daughter with the music from Caveleria Rusticana.

As a parent, it always get's me.
sandiegojones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 11:40 AM   #19
RocketSledFight
IndyFan

I think people hated it because it wasn't the direction they wanted to see the Corleone family go: They did not want to see Michael and his empire fall apart.

I love it because it makes perfect sense. Michael pays for every sin he commits since stepping in to the fold to save his father in the first film.
RocketSledFight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 11:44 AM   #20
agentsands77
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketSledFight
I think people hated it because it wasn't the direction they wanted to see the Corleone family go: They did not want to see Michael and his empire fall apart.
I don't know about that. I did, at any rate.

I think the problems with GODFATHER PART III is really that it's just not the masterpiece the first two were. The film doesn't have the same finesse.
agentsands77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 05:58 PM   #21
Dr. Gonzo
IndyFan

from another thread... moved here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry W Jones
Godfather III is underrated and not a horrible movie. It actually has some great moments and I feel it's a great movie for a sequel. It's not quite I or II but I still find it to be quality and sub par is a bit harsh.

Originally it was going to be called "The Death of Michael Corleone" but Paramount insisted that it be called Part III... which is ironic since Paramount hated the title the "Godfather Part II" and wanted to change it. I think that had Part III been called "The Death of Michael Corleone" it would have been more accepted and seen as a supplement film... which was Coppola's intention.

What I meant by my "subpar" comment is that it is subpar to the other two Godfathers. If you divorce it from the other two it makes a good standalone film. I love a few scenes in that film. Particularly the very end when Michael finally dies of old age in Corleone Sicily and the little puppy goes up to him. I love that for some reason. I think that... Like I said above, had the title been different it would been more accepted. I think that may be the reason Ridley Scott's "Alien prequel" doesn't have the word "alien" in it. Prometheus is a very different story, much like Godfather 3 is a very different story... so perhaps divorcing "alien" from the title will stop people from giving it so much flak.
Dr. Gonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 06:11 PM   #22
Dr. Gonzo
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attila the Professor
Well, of course. (Although, Henry W Jones is right...there's some very good stuff in it, but most of the problems are those of casting, namely the presence of Sofia Coppola and, even more so, the absence of Robert Duvall. Still - it's the definition of subpar to be below the norm.)

But the characters in the Godfather are still more compelling than Indy. His appeal is more iconic than character-based, even though its the enriching of a iconic type figure with characterization that gives the films and the man staying power.

I think the absence of Duvall is a key reason why it doesn't feel as much like a Godfather film to me.
Dr. Gonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 06:34 PM   #23
featofstrength
IndyFan

Quote:

Agreed...Lost in Translation was one of the biggest pretentious turds ive ever seen.
featofstrength is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 07:30 PM   #24
TheMutt92
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Gonzo
I think the absence of Duvall is a key reason why it doesn't feel as much like a Godfather film to me.

My enjoyment of the film would've doubled had Duvall starred. Just give him his money!

But the film is nowhere near as bad as its reputation suggests. Michael's relationship with future pope is interesting, and the finale of killings is beautifully shot.
TheMutt92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 07:31 PM   #25
Henry W Jones
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Gonzo

I always felt that the absence of Duvall was a further representation of how he "got rid of" or pushed away virtually everyone in his life. The movie is extremely tragic. I do agree Sofia Coppola does not deliver in her performance, but otherwise a great piece. I think it was a great yet tragic ending.
Henry W Jones is offline   Reply With Quote