TheRaider.net

Go Back   The Raven > Off Topic > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 10-15-2010, 07:13 PM   #1
TheMutt92
IndyFan

Boardwalk Empire

Just wondering if anyone out there has been keeping up w/ this great new show. It features a cast of prominent film actors such as Steve Buscemi (Reservoir Dogs, Fargo), Michael Shannon (Revolutionary Road), Michael Stuhlbarg (A Serious Man), Stephen Graham (Snatch, Public Enemies), and Gretchen Mol (3:10 to Yuma) and is produced by Martin Scorsese, Mark Wahlberg, and Terence Winter.

So far I have enjoyed the first four episodes and look forward to keeping up w/ this in the future.

TheMutt92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 07:17 PM   #2
Gabeed
IndyFan

It's pretty good thus far. Buscemi is perfect for/in the lead role.
Gabeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 10:27 PM   #3
Nurhachi1991
IndyFan

I want to but im not rich and dont have HBO ):
Nurhachi1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 02:43 PM   #4
TheMutt92
IndyFan

Season 2 is on its way (I still have yet to finish season 1, but so far its fantastic television):

Old 08-25-2011, 03:11 PM   #5
phantom train
IndyFan

This sounds like a great show and I have a strong interest in seeing this. However, I don't have HBO. I will wait for the DVD to come out - hopefully a DVD set of the first season will be released soon.
phantom train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 06:52 PM   #6
TheMutt92
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom train
This sounds like a great show and I have a strong interest in seeing this. However, I don't have HBO. I will wait for the DVD to come out - hopefully a DVD set of the first season will be released soon.

Other than the pilot episode (which I watched in a hotel room), I've managed to find the other episodes online. A date hasen't been announced for a DVD/Blu-Ray release, but I expect before Christmas (if not before the time season two rolls out).
Old 09-14-2011, 01:01 AM   #7
Attila the Professor

It's great tv, but not without its flaws. The most glaring one, it seems to me, is the cartoonish villainy of van Alden.
Attila the Professor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 02:47 PM   #8
DaFedora
IndyFan

Yup, it's a great cast and even some secondary characters are really likeable - Arnold Rothstein (Michael Stuhlbarg) as the intelligent entrepreneur/gambler/sports game rigger and Johnny Torrio (Greg Antonacci actually grew up in New York's tough Hell's Kitchen -talk about off-stage case experience).

Admittedly, Agent van Alden's role becomes all the more grim and extreme - but here's a guy who's growing impatient and frustrated over the FBI's bureaucratic threadmill and the social entrenchment of his 'Victorian', puritan lifestyle ...

*SPOILER*

I must admit I was not expecting van Alden to break his personal norms about family decency/wedlock loyalty... with Lucy Danziger, Atlantic's snottiest skank for God's sake
DaFedora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 05:40 PM   #9
Attila the Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFedora
Yup, it's a great cast and even some secondary characters are really likeable - Arnold Rothstein (Michael Stuhlbarg) as the intelligent entrepreneur/gambler/sports game rigger...

Yeah, Rothstein is a real favorite of mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFedora
Admittedly, Agent van Alden's role becomes all the more grim and extreme - but here's a guy who's growing impatient and frustrated over the FBI's bureaucratic threadmill and the social entrenchment of his 'Victorian', puritan lifestyle ...

*SPOILER*

I must admit I was not expecting van Alden to break his personal norms about family decency/wedlock loyalty... with Lucy Danziger, Atlantic's snottiest skank for God's sake

It's just such lazy, easy characterization, the hypocritical crusader with his own odd perversions. The performance is rather good, overall, but the character is a blot on the series.
Attila the Professor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 12:42 AM   #10
phantom train
IndyFan

TVshowsonDVD.com just posted that the first season of Boardwalk Empire is scheduled to come out on DVD & Blur-ray on 01/10/2012.

Here's the link:

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Boa...Season-1/16059
phantom train is offline   Reply With Quote