TheRaider.net

Go Back   The Raven > Off Topic > Films
User Name
Password

Old 08-13-2008, 03:42 PM   #1
Goodsport
IndyFan

The Lone Ranger

I can't believe that I missed this news until just recently, but it's nonetheless exciting for us old-timers who remember the "The Lone Ranger" TV show (albeit in reruns for me, but still).

Writers Ted Elliot and Terry Rossio did a great job in reviving the Zorro franchise with 1998's The Mask of Zorro and launching Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl in 2003, so hopefully they'll get a chance at The Lone Ranger.

-G
Goodsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 03:46 PM   #2
Goodsport
IndyFan

Thumbs up

After doing some research, it seems that you young folk may have had some exposure to The Lone Ranger after all the past two years in the form of an Eisner Award nominated comic book series by Dynamite Entertainment.

Also, some research revealed that the Green Hornet character (who himself has an upcoming movie coming in 2010 starring Seth Rogen) is the in-story grand-nephew of The Lone Ranger, which is probably less surprising considering that The Green Hornet was created by Fran Striker, who also helped develop The Lone Ranger some years earlier.

-G
Old 08-13-2008, 04:01 PM   #3
ResidentAlien

When you post an article that's 5 months out of date, expect it to have been discussed 5 months ago.

Did your research extend to the search function?

http://raven.theraider.net/showthrea...ht=lone+ranger
ResidentAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 04:39 PM   #4
eroc
IndyFan

You don't remember The Lone Ranger movie in the 80's?
eroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 04:51 PM   #5
Goodsport
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by eroc
You don't remember The Lone Ranger movie in the 80's?

While I do remember the movie when it hit theaters way back when, I never got around to seeing it then (and only partially on TV a few years later).

Judging by the movie's various reviews, I suppose that was for the best.

-G
Old 08-13-2008, 05:16 PM   #6
Goodsport
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResidentAlien
When you post an article that's 5 months out of date, expect it to have been discussed 5 months ago.

Did your research extend to the search function?

http://raven.theraider.net/showthrea...ht=lone+ranger

Except, of course, that your thread's last post was eight months ago, three months earlier than the date of the article I posted.

-G
Old 08-13-2008, 05:34 PM   #7
RaideroftheArk
IndyFan

I think the 1981 movie pretty much sank the franchise. Apparently there was some kind of "curse" surrounding the Lone Ranger ever since the studio made Clayton Moore stop appearing in public dressed as the Ranger. Needless to say after the movie tanked he was allowed to wear the costume again.

I heard an interesting rumor...apparently Clayton Moore wanted to star in the big screen adaption of the Lone Ranger. Obviously as an older, beaten down avenger who takes on a young protege. He wanted the film to be his "retirement" from the Lone Ranger and at the end of the movie, after having one last adventure, with him sitting on Silver with his back to the screen...he would take off his Mask and hand it down to this young protege and ride slowly into the sun set.

I don't know about you guys, but that sounded like a good way to pass the torch to a new generation. But instead...I don't think anyone outside of people collecting comic books knows who the Lone Ranger is.
RaideroftheArk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 09:26 PM   #8
Goodsport
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaideroftheArk
I think the 1981 movie pretty much sank the franchise. Apparently there was some kind of "curse" surrounding the Lone Ranger ever since the studio made Clayton Moore stop appearing in public dressed as the Ranger. Needless to say after the movie tanked he was allowed to wear the costume again.
I also heard that the 1981 film eventually bombed so badly that it pretty much killed first-timer Klinton Spilsbury's acting career, not to mention that his dialogue throughout the film had to later be looped over with James Keach's voice.

From what I've read, much of the criticism of the film wasn't the concept itself, but that (among some other things) it changed too much of the canonical background that was established before.

Quote:
I heard an interesting rumor...apparently Clayton Moore wanted to star in the big screen adaption of the Lone Ranger. Obviously as an older, beaten down avenger who takes on a young protege. He wanted the film to be his "retirement" from the Lone Ranger and at the end of the movie, after having one last adventure, with him sitting on Silver with his back to the screen...he would take off his Mask and hand it down to this young protege and ride slowly into the sun set.
That would've absolutely rocked!

Quote:
I don't know about you guys, but that sounded like a good way to pass the torch to a new generation. But instead...I don't think anyone outside of people collecting comic books knows who the Lone Ranger is.
I honestly doubt that the idea of bringing back the Lone Ranger was damaged beyond repair, though the upcoming movie would need to do it right.

After all, look at Zorro, whose character had a TV show at about the same time as The Lone Ranger and whose last theatrical release prior to 1998 (albeit a comedy) also coincided around the same time as that Lone Ranger film. Yet the 1998 film did great both critically and box-office wise.

-G
Old 08-14-2008, 03:29 AM   #9
Agent Spalko

The film was "The Legend of the Lone Ranger" and Klinton Spilsbury's voice was indeed dubbed by James Keach. It was a PG film targeted at kids but was exceptionally violent with the brutal Peckinpah-esque massacre of the Texas Rangers in a cavern mawed down by a gatlin gun by Butch Cavendish (Christopher Lloyd) and his posse. I loved this film as a kid. It featured a beautiful John Barry score. For Indy fans it contains the infamous Yakima Canutt stunt that was used on the Raiders truck chase in stagecoach fashion but while trying to crawl under the stagecoach Terry Leonard was run over by the stagecoach. The accident was left in the film.

There was considerable controversy over the film because producers put a restraining order on the original Lone Ranger Clayton Moore prohibiting him from making public appearances wearing the mask which infuriated fans who boycotted the film which bombed at the box office and has remained obscured from public exhibition ever since with few rare broadcasts. It is finally being released on DVD for the first time in the U.S. on August 26.
Agent Spalko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 07:56 AM   #10
RaideroftheArk
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Spalko
The film was "The Legend of the Lone Ranger" and Klinton Spilsbury's voice was indeed dubbed by James Keach. It was a PG film targeted at kids but was exceptionally violent with the brutal Peckinpah-esque massacre of the Texas Rangers in a cavern mawed down by a gatlin gun by Butch Cavendish (Christopher Lloyd) and his posse. I loved this film as a kid. It featured a beautiful John Barry score. For Indy fans it contains the infamous that was used on the Raiders truck chase in stagecoach fashion but while trying to crawl under the stagecoach Terry Leonard was run over by the stagecoach. The accident was left in the film.

There was considerable controversy over the film because producers put a restraining order on the original Lone Ranger Clayton Moore prohibiting him from making public appearances wearing the mask which infuriated fans who boycotted the film which bombed at the box office and has remained obscured from public exhibition ever since with few rare broadcasts. It is finally being released on DVD for the first time in the U.S. on August 26.

I heard about the accident...but I had no idea it was left in the film! That almost makes this film worth watching...or at least using for reference..."Ok kids, here's how you DON'T DO the Yakima Canutt stunt."
Old 08-19-2008, 09:05 PM   #11
Goodsport
IndyFan

Apparently, among the many changes to the background story in the 1981 movie was that John Reid (who eventually became The Lone Ranger) wasn't a Texas Ranger before the ambush, but rather an attorney from the East Coast who was visiting his Texas Ranger brother Dan in (obviously) Texas.

John happened to be with Dan's posse simply on account of his being Dan's brother when it was ambushed by Butch Cavendish's gang.

Thusly, Tonto had to pretty much teach The Lone Ranger how to fight, how to ride Silver (whom Tonto found for him) and other things. Many reviews seemed to indicate that the film made The Lone Ranger seem pretty incompetent. It'd be interesting to see the film when it finally makes its way to DVD later this month so that I can finally see whether the reviewers were right or not.

Interestingly, many around the internet also seem to be hoping that the upcoming movie follows the tone of the latest aforementioned comic book series. I need to get me the back issues of that series (or at least the trade paperbacks) and read it as well.

-G
Old 08-20-2008, 07:12 AM   #12
RaideroftheArk
IndyFan

The real question is, will Klinton Spilsbury's original voice finally be heard!!???
Old 08-20-2008, 11:45 AM   #13
Goodsport
IndyFan

Question

Quote:
The real question is, will Klinton Spilsbury's original voice finally be heard!!???

In the upcoming new movie? I doubt it.

Speaking of which: who would be good choices to play the Lone Ranger, Tonto, Butch Cavendish, etc. in the new movie?

-G
Old 09-24-2008, 07:35 PM   #14
PhantomStranger
IndyFan

J.Depp is Lone Ranger?

Breaking News: Johnny Depp Also The Lone Ranger?
Source:ComingSoon.net, Heather Newgen
September 24, 2008

During Disney's preview today in Hollywood, the studio questioned who could possibly play the titular character in its upcoming feature The Lone Ranger.

At that, Disney rolled out the USC marching band to come down and play the Ranger's theme song. This was followed by an appearance by Depp himself who took to the stage in full Captain Jack Sparrow attire...wearing The Lone Ranger's mask.

The Lone Ranger, said to be an origin story, is written by Ted Elliott and Terry Rossio.

This is a breaking new story, so we'll update you on the project, and Depp's possible involvement, as more details come in.
PhantomStranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 07:38 PM   #15
TheMutt92
IndyFan

I'm hoping its a gag. I like Depp, it'd be cool if he was a supporting character, but NOT the Ranger himself.
TheMutt92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 09:22 PM   #16
Forbidden Eye
IndyFan

Is there a role in the past 5 years Johnny Depp HASN'T been rumored for?
Forbidden Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 10:49 PM   #17
Goodsport
IndyFan

Thumbs up

Very interesting developments if true.

-G
Old 09-24-2008, 10:58 PM   #18
DocWhiskey
IndyFan

^He's playing Tonto actually.
http://www.comingsoon.net/news/topnews.php?id=49122
DocWhiskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 02:39 AM   #19
Garfoot
IndyFan

Hovitos Warrior

Can't see Depp as the Ranger, but then again, didn't really see Heath Ledger as Joker, and that turned out to be a huge success. So you never know.
Will there be his sidekick Tonto? And if so, who would make a good one?

Lets get the old gang back together:

Owen Wilson as The Lone Ranger

Jackie Chan as Tonto

Ron Pearlman (Hellboy) could play a badass renegade cowboy.

Depp not for the Lone Ranger but certainly for the Riddler in the next Batman. I look back at his creepy Willy Wonka and think, yeah this guy could pull off the riddler.
Garfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 05:38 AM   #20
Goodsport
IndyFan

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWhiskey

Interesting.

Who'd be a good candidate out there now to play The Lone Ranger alongside Johnny Depp's Tonto?

-G
Old 09-26-2008, 06:25 PM   #21
roundshort
IndyFan

BEst News I have heard about this project! Lone Ranger needs something to hip it up, as this could be a huge flop if not done correctly!

I hope this is true!
roundshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 06:37 PM   #22
agentsands77
IndyFan

The report is misguided. It was recently confirmed in Variety and elsewhere that Depp is signed on as Tonto, not as the Lone Ranger.
agentsands77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 08:08 AM   #23
The Man
IndyFan

http://www.movieweb.com/news/NEx0DAABbNZDBA

Quote:
Word as of now is that George Clooney has shown a lot of interest in the role of the Lone Ranger, and the studio's been talking to him about it. Previously it was rumored that Nic Cage was up for the role, but that rumor died a long time ago. Clooney's name has come up quite a number of times since.
The Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 11:03 AM   #24
TheMutt92
IndyFan

Interesting. I don't doubt Clooney's ability, its just the thought of him and Johnny Depp side-by-side- in a 'Lone Ranger' movie. I get this feeling a lot though when I hear casting news on a movie like this. Its just so weird to imagine. But hey, I have complete faith and am eagerly awaiting this!
Old 04-15-2011, 06:27 PM   #25
TheMutt92
IndyFan

Ryan Gosling to go "Hi-yo, silver"? Also, plot to be similar in style to Don Quixote...

http://www.slashfilm.com/ryan-goslin...e-lone-ranger/

Quote:
Though it’s still a ways off, we know that, eventually, Gore Verbinski will direct a Jerry Bruckheimer-produced, Disney version of The Lone Ranger starring Johnny Depp as Tonto. But you can’t have Tonto without the title character himself and now The Wrap has learned that Ryan Gosling is in preliminary talks to scream “Hi-yo Silver!”

Quote:
"The only version of ‘The Lone Ranger’ I’m interested in doing is ‘Don Quixote’ told from Sancho Panza’s point of view… And hence I was honest early on with Johnny that Tonto is the part. We’re not going to do it [straight], everyone knows that story. I don’t want to tell that story."