TheRaider.net

Go Back   The Raven > Off Topic > Films
User Name
Password

Old 02-28-2011, 04:19 PM   #1
TheMutt92
IndyFan

Django Unchained

Starring non other than Hans Landa himself (among others...?)

http://www.slashfilm.com/quentin-tar...pping-western/

Quote:
Last week, in addition to finding that the full cut of Kill Bill complete with new anime sequence (aka Kill Bill: The Whole Bloody Affair) would play the New Beverly Cinema in March, there were whisperings that Quentin Tarantino is busy assembling his new film. At the time we didn’t have any real word about what the movie would be, but now Italian actor and one-time spaghetti western star Franco Nero says that he is involved in a western with Quentin Tarantino. Further reports say that the director’s next film is definitely a western, and that it will star breakout Inglourious Basterds star Christoph Waltz.
TheMutt92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 10:02 PM   #2
TheMutt92
IndyFan

A few more details emerged at the Oscar parties...

http://www.deadline.com/2011/02/osca...oper-projects/

Quote:
I ran into Quentin Tarantino, who said that he has completed the script for his Western, and that compared to recent scripts like Inglourious Basterds and Kill Bill that took so long to crystallize, this one came together much quicker and just flowed out of him. He wasn't more descriptive than that before I lost him in the crowd, but my understanding is he'll deliver within two months and then TWC will begin moving toward a production start.
Old 03-01-2011, 12:32 AM   #3
Montana Smith
IndyFan

Since QT's been skirting around this genre for so many years (along with Rodriguez) it seemed only a matter of time before he bit the bullet and went for a period-set tribute.

Will this be his Django the Basterd [sic]?

Looking forward to see how this develops.
Montana Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 01:11 AM   #4
TheMutt92
IndyFan

The reports are saying QT plans to shoot in the latter half of 2011, meaning we can expect a steady flow of casting info over the next couple of months, and probably a 2012 release date.

As w/ any QT film, half the fun is in watching those films that influence him and spotting all the references along the way. So maybe this will help people get off to an early start...

http://www.spaghetti-western.net/ind...tti_We sterns

But what I really wanna know is... will Ennio Morricone score this film? He originally wanted him to work on Inglourious Basterds, but their schedueles never lined up, so QT was forced to use his previous work.
Old 03-01-2011, 01:39 AM   #5
Montana Smith
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMutt92
But what I really wanna know is... will Ennio Morricone score this film? He originally wanted him to work on Inglourious Basterds, but their schedueles never lined up, so QT was forced to use his previous work.

I love Ennio's original scores for the Sergio Leone movies (from Fistful to Once Upon a Time in the West). Either way, new or old, it will make for an incredible soundtrack.
Old 03-01-2011, 01:24 PM   #6
TheMutt92
IndyFan

What is it? A spaghetti western? A southern? A biopic?

http://www.ropeofsilicon.com/article...ghetti-western

Quote:
Over at The Playlist they mined the history of Tarantino rumors for possible ideas as to what this could be and the first thing that came up was a 2007 interview he did with The Telegraph when he laid out plans for a pic on America's past with slavery, but he wanted to do it in the style of a spaghetti western.

Quote:
Tarantino told Charlie Rose in August of 2009, "There is one [biopic] story that I could be interested in, but it would probably be one of the last movies I [ever make]. My favorite hero in American history is John Brown. He's my favorite American who ever lived. He basically single-handedly started the road to end slavery and the fact that he killed people to do it. He decided, 'If we start spilling white blood, then they're going to start getting the idea.'"

Quote:
"I'd like to do a Western. But rather than set it in Texas, have it in slavery times. With that subject that everybody is afraid to deal with. Let's shine that light on ourselves. You could do a ponderous history lesson of slaves escaping on the Underground Railroad. Or, you could make a movie that would be exciting. Do it as an adventure. A spaghetti Western that takes place during that time. And I would call it A Southern."

Thats a lot to take in, and its possible its irrelevant (just look back at Inglourious Basterds: while the premise stayed the same he scrapped a number of the chapters and rewrote them before shooting).
Old 03-01-2011, 01:45 PM   #7
San Holo
IndyFan

Who wants to see an Eastwood cameo?
San Holo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 01:51 PM   #8
Dr. Gonzo
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by San Holo
He officially retired from acting after Gran Torino.
He's strictly a director now.

But I'd like to see a cameo
Dr. Gonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 01:59 PM   #9
Montana Smith
IndyFan

Quote:

He's old enough to play the coffin maker, Piripero now!

Though he'd be more welcome as an aging gunfighter.
Old 03-01-2011, 05:41 PM   #10
Forbidden Eye
IndyFan

Quote:

Gran Torino was pretty much perfect in ending his acting career.

But...if there were such a project worth coming out of retirement for, a spaghetti western would be the one.
Forbidden Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 05:42 PM   #11
Forbidden Eye
IndyFan

Eli Wallach could make a cameo. Though he is 95, he was in two films last year.

Ennio Morricone HAS to sign on though.
Forbidden Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 11:07 PM   #12
TheMutt92
IndyFan

Django Unchained?

http://www.slashfilm.com/is-this-the...os-next-movie/

Quote:
Is that the title? It certainly looks like it. We know from Inglourious Basterds that Tarantino likes to hand write the titles on the first page of his script. Plus, there’s the classic 1966 spaghetti western called Django that starred Franco Nero. The same Franco Nero who was rumored to be in this movie.

So if this is the title of the film, does this mean this will be a continuation of Nero's portrayal of Django or merely a homage (ala Inglourious Basterds)?
Old 04-30-2011, 09:37 PM   #13
TheMutt92
IndyFan

Plot revealed?

http://screenrant.com/quentin-tarant...d-benm-113184/

Quote:
According to a source via Indiewire blog Shadow and Act – though the validity of the source has already been called into question – the plot of Django Unchained is as follows:

Quote:
“Django is a freed slave, who, under the tutelage of a German bounty hunter (played by Christopher Waltz the evil Nazi officer in Inglorious Basterds) becomes a bad-ass bounty hunter himself, and after assisting Waltz in taking down some bad guys for profit, is helped by Waltz in tracking down his slave wife and liberating her from an evil plantation owner. And that doesn’t even half begin to cover it! This film deals with racism as I’ve rarely seen it handled in a Hollywood film. While it’s 100 percent pure popcorn and revenge flick, it is pure genius in the way it takes on the evil slave owning south. Think of what he did with the Nazis in Inglorious and you’ll get a sense of what he’s doing with slave owners and slave overseers in this one.”
Old 05-06-2011, 08:57 PM   #14
TheMutt92
IndyFan

QT goes after the Fresh Prince...

http://www.slashfilm.com/smith-front...ngo-unchained/

Quote:
When Quentin Tarantino makes a casting wishlist, he sets his sights high. “High” as in one of the biggest box office stars in the world. The writer/director is currently meeting about his upcoming spaghetti Western Django Unchained and people involved in the meetings have revealed to The Hollywood Reporter that the director’s top choice for the lead role of Django, a freed slave who is trained by a German bounty hunter to save his wife, is none other than Will Smith.

Quote:
The Hollywood Reporter also says that Samuel L. Jackson is circling as role as is Christoph Waltz, who was confirmed by William Morris Endeavor but he himself denied involvement. Jackson’s role would be as the head slave of the bad guy, Monsieur Calvin Candie, who would face off with Django and Waltz is being eyed as the bounty hunter, the film’s second lead.
Old 05-07-2011, 03:36 AM   #15
Dr.Sartorius
IndyFan

I don't like the title. And I don't know about Will Smith as the lead. Although I'm sure it won't be anything like Wild Wild West.
Dr.Sartorius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 11:41 PM   #16
TheMutt92
IndyFan

I don't know if I should brag about this, but I do have my hands on a copy of QT's script (similar to how the Inglourious Basterds script was online a year before its release). I think it'll be interesting to read before seeing a frame of footage, and then compare the two when the film finally comes out. If I ever get around to finishing it, I may post my thoughts (that is, if its not breaking any rules on here).
Old 05-09-2011, 11:43 PM   #17
Attila the Professor

Quote:
I don't know if I should brag about this, but I do have my hands on a copy of QT's script (similar to how the Inglourious Basterds script was online a year before its release). I think it'll be interesting to read before seeing a frame of footage, and then compare the two when the film finally comes out. If I ever get around to finishing it, I may post my thoughts (that is, if its not breaking any rules on here).

I mean, it's not against our rules, I don't think...but that doesn't mean you might not be better off not doing so. As you suggest...you don't know if you should brag about this.
Attila the Professor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 07:26 PM   #18
Dr. Gonzo
IndyFan

Quote:

Don't do it. I have a... uh, know of a... well, I am aware of a person (trying to find wording that keeps things cool) who always has his/her hands on scripts in preproduction there was a massive lawsuit a couple months ago over the divulging of such information and well really can't say more but, beware. seriously.
Dr. Gonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 08:51 PM   #19
TheMutt92
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Gonzo
Don't do it. I have a... uh, know of a... well, I am aware of a person (trying to find wording that keeps things cool) who always has his/her hands on scripts in preproduction there was a massive lawsuit a couple months ago over the divulging of such information and well really can't say more but, beware. seriously.

I'll take your advice then.
Old 05-29-2011, 09:03 PM   #20
TheMutt92
IndyFan

Is Idris Elba Django?

http://www.ropeofsilicon.com/article...ango-unchained

Quote:
The picture... was tweeted by Idris Elba (Thor, "The Wire") ten hours ago as he boarded a flight headed to, as he said, "the destination of my fate…..ok…. a lil dramatic….destination of my life." An hour earlier he posted a tweet saying, "Having one of the biggest meetings of my professional life today…meeting a very controversial director for a very controversial part." Whatever could it be?

Quote:
As Shadow and Act has also speculated, this seems it could only be a meeting for Quentin Tarantino's upcoming spaghetti western, Django Unchained. However, like the folks at Shadow and Act, I don't think of Tarantino as a "controversial director" per se, but what little bit I do know — and have read — of Django Unchained I would definitely say you could consider the role "controversial".
Old 05-31-2011, 05:57 PM   #21
TheMutt92
IndyFan

Leo in?

http://www.slashfilm.com/leonardo-di...ngo-unchained/

Quote:
There are a lot of rumors coming out about Quentin Tarantino‘s upcoming film Django Unchained. We know that Christoph Waltz will play one of the two main characters, the German dentist turned bounty hunter Dr. King Schultz. Samuel L. Jackson will be Stephen, the head house slave to the movie’s villain, Calvin Candie. We know that QT wants (or wanted) Will Smith to be the lead character, Django, but we haven’t heard anything about who might play Calvin Candie. Now the rumor mill is churning out one name loud and clear: Leonardo DiCaprio.

Quote:
There has been a flirtation between Tarantino and DiCaprio for a few years. QT reportedly wanted the actor to play the Hans Landa part in Inglourious Basterds, and while that obviously didn’t happen, there was also the report from Variety that the Christoph Waltz part in Django Unchained was originally written for DiCaprio. As it is now, that part screams Christoph Waltz, but it isn’t too difficult to imagine a version that would have suited DiCaprio.
Old 06-03-2011, 07:44 PM   #22
TheMutt92
IndyFan

Franco Nero talks Django Unchained...

http://www.obsessedwithfilm.com/inte...-unchained.php

Quote:
“In Germany they have a complex with Django,” laughs Nero. “All the movies that I did they called them Django, you know? Like my film How to Kill a Judge, a political thriller, became Django with the Mafia. The Shark Hunter became Django versus the Shark! But you know it’s not my problem. And now Tarantino wants to do a Django movie…so ok.”

Quote:
“I’ve never had an offer. I know only that Tarantino likes me a lot. In many interviews Tarantino kept talking about me and then one day in Rome at the opening of Kill Bill, Harvey Weinstein was on the stage and said that Quentin Tarantino couldn’t come because he was sick, but ‘he begged me to say hello to Franco Nero!’”

Quote:
“So finally one and a half years ago Tarantino came to Rome and I had lunch with him. And he said, ‘I was 14 when I started to watch your movies,’ and he started to recite lines from my movies…he even remembered the music! But I haven’t heard anything after that. I was at the Festival of Berlin this year with Vanessa and Harvey Weinstein saw me at a party and said, ‘oh Franco you’re gonna be in Tarantino’s next movie,’ but that’s all I know. I’m happy that he will do a Django movie even if I don’t do it.”
Old 06-03-2011, 07:52 PM   #23
TheMutt92
IndyFan

An inglourious reunion? (this has since proven to be false, but either way, we can dream right?)

http://www.budez.com/topics/2011/06/...ngo-unchained/

Quote:
We already know that there’s a role written for and possibly occupied by Christoph Waltz, who won an Academy Award for his turn as Hans Landa in Tarantino’s World War II epic. Now, it looks like he could have some familiar company in the form of fellow “Basterds” co-star Michael Fassbender.

Quote:
Fassbender, currently appearing in theaters as Magneto in “X-Men: First Class,” spilled the beans of his involvement on Twitter, saying: “Great news everyone. Quentin Tarantino has asked me to be his latest film Django Unchained. He was talking so fast, but I said ‘f***, yes’.”

Quote:
Moments later, Fassbender removed the tweet and quickly wrote a follow-up message: “Wait, forget I told you about the Tarantino thing, I wasn’t supposed to! F***. My cue to log off.”
Old 06-14-2011, 11:47 AM   #24
TheMutt92
IndyFan

Jamie Foxx close to being Django?

http://www.obsessedwithfilm.com/movi...-unchained.php

Quote:
Jamie Foxx as Quentin Tarantino’s black slave who is freed, trained under the tutelage of Christoph Waltz’s eccentric former dentist turned bounty hunter, and then becomes an all out Clint Eastwood style gunslinger out to save his bride who is enslaved by Leonardo DiCaprio’s evil plantation owner in Django Unchained? Wow, what a prospect and it’s solid casting if it comes off, there’s just no other way to put it.

Either way Tarantino goes w/ casting, it seems like he won't go wrong (unless he casts Chris Tucker... that is, also Tucker has acting chops he never decided to show us in the Rush Hour Trilogy ).
Old 06-14-2011, 10:35 PM   #25
TheMutt92
IndyFan

Django will be freed... Christmas 2012:

http://www.ropeofsilicon.com/article...s-2012-release

Quote:
Gitesh Pandya has revealed (and I've since confirmed with the Weinstein Co.) that the studio has set a Christmas Day 2012 release date for Quentin Tarantino's Django Unchained, which centers on a freed slave who seeks to reunite with his slave wife, a journey which will see him team up with Dr. King Schultz (Christoph Waltz), a German bounty hunter, to take down Calvin Candie (Leonardo DiCaprio), an evil plantation owner