Appalachians

indyt

Taking a group of youth on a mission trip to the mountains next week. Before I go I will be working on a dig in Morganton NC at the Berry sight. Should find some native american artifacts. Also will get to visit the Judahculla stone in Sylvia. It is an ancient petroglyph. Very interesting.

The Drifter

Where are you taking the group? I was born and spend my whole life in the Heart of Appalachia. Those mountains are the oldest on earth and hold many of secrets! There is a huge cliff face that juts out of the ridge-line like a knife near my parent's home. Some claim that it is in fact an ancient structure. There was a few websites about it. Interesting stuff.

Stoo

The Drifter said:
Those mountains are the oldest on earth...
No, Drifter, they are not. The Laurentians in Quebec are about 60 million years older than the Appalachians.;) Although skiing in the younger, northeastern Appalachians is better because they are often 1000-2000 feet taller than the highest of the Laurentians. Longer runs & prettier views!

Which begs the question: What is the world's oldest (surviving) mountain chain?:confused:

---
Anyway, indyt, have fun on your latest adventure. You certainly do get around and I'm going to look up the Judahculla stone right now.:gun:

Montana Smith

indyt said:
Also will get to visit the Judahculla stone in Sylvia. It is an ancient petroglyph. Very interesting.

Indeed.

800px-JudaCulla_Rock.JPG

Stewie said:
Which begs the question: What is the world's oldest (surviving) mountain chain?

"Most scientist agree that the Barberton Greenstone Belt in eastern Africa is the oldest mountain range on Earth (3.5 billion years old)..."

http://www.sciforums.com/showthread.php?49695-The-oldest-mountains-on-Earth-the-Barberton-Belt

:hat: