Temple of the Forbidden Eye

mattzilla2010

Stoo said:
In that hallway of 'skeleton warrior' paintings, it doesn't look like much is going on besides some dart sound effects. Am I missing something?

Blasts of air come out of the holes in the walls, to make it feel like darts are whizzing past you. :D

Rivers

Le Saboteur said:
Familial circumstances brought me to Southern California last week, and I opted to spend 12/12/12 @ Disneyland. Surprisingly enough, the park was quite empty and I never waited more than twenty-minutes for Indy. The impending threat of rain combined with the middle of the week probably helped out.

So...

Yes, yes it does. It's much brighter than it ever was (LED I assume) and zips along the wall at a good clip. Unfortunately, the smoke that was supposed mask your ascent up the tunnel is still missing.

Both are working. The bamboo in the spike room is still a wobbly mess so you need to give it quite a yank. It works, though. The rope effect has a newly painted sign informing you not to pull the rope, and the speaker has been replaced or the volume turned up as you can clearly hear the gag now.

He used to be struggling with the doors. Watch it again. While it's nice to see a new positing of the AA-figure, the placement doesn't make much sense. Now he's only sort of holding one door back. The other one should come swinging open.

The lighting in that unknown hell has been changed too. It used to be that smoke would billow forth from here and lightning would flash. Now it looks like some sort of Mardi Gras colored vortex. Which doesn't quite work.

The skeleton cavern appears larger. No confirmation of this, but I think the mural has been given a facelift and better depth perception.

The bug room is still the same, but the projection now appears to be in high-def. You can make the bugs out clearly, they scatter when the headlights first illuminate them, and they respond to the lights as they flicker and go out.

I didn't actually notice any changes to the bridge. That appears the same, but another rider insisted that they're there if you know where to look. When I go back at the end of the month, I'll see if I can spot 'em.

There are two noticeably good improvements in the main chamber: the cobra and the demon ghost. For years, the giant cobra has been some sort of neon green color; takes me right out of the ride every time. Now it's much closer to that of an Indian cobra, most notably in the area of the face, hood, and belly scales.

The cobra's "tracking" has also been vastly improved. The cobra now tracks your jeep as soon as he sees it and strikes the moment you get too close. In the past, I think the snake would "lose" the jeep and either not strike at all or strike too late.

The demon ghost appears just behind Mara's head in the main chamber. For years it was essentially a paper cut out accompanied by a sound effect. Now, it's a digital scrim. It's invisible until your jeep comes barreling by and he comes swooping out of the sky.

Not much has changed from the final section of the ride that I could tell. The ball effect wasn't working properly, but that appears to be a common complaint thus far. Hopefully it's working by the end of the month.

The final dart room might have a redone mural, but I'll need to check out a pre-refurb video. Still looks...well, bad.

Just wondering when your last visit to Disneyland prior to this was??
Because they changed the cobra years ago and the demon head scrim has been there for several years also.

Pale Horse

Staff member
Stoo said:
Never having been on the ride, this video is as good as it gets.(y)

Cheese and Sprinkles my good man. Get down here. Gonzo and I will make a special trip and we'll show you an In-n-Out burger, Hit the Indy Exhibit and you can ride this ride. Gonzo's buying the odd rounds, I'll buy the Prime Numbered ones.

Dr. Gonzo

Pale Horse said:
Cheese and Sprinkles my good man. Get down here. Gonzo and I will make a special trip and we'll show you an In-n-Out burger, Hit the Indy Exhibit and you can ride this ride. Gonzo's buying the odd rounds, I'll buy the Prime Numbered ones.

tumblr_lzjho5l6TG1r0x8eq.gif

Damn, that reminds me...
I still have to get my arse to the Science Center.

Goonie

Dr. Gonzo said:
I still have to get my arse to the Science Center.

Hoping to get my arse to the Science Center as well next year. Want to see that shuttle! And Indy at Disneyland too of course.

Stoo

mattzilla2010 said:
Blasts of air come out of the holes in the walls, to make it feel like darts are whizzing past you. :D
Very cool.:cool: Oh, those crafty Imagineers! I like how they chose a jungle-temple theme rather than a desert one. It's also noticeable how the combined elements are evocative of "Doom" and the beginning of "Raiders". There doesn't seem to be anything related to "Crusade". Yes? No?

In any case, thanks for the air-blast explanation, Mattzilla...and Happy New Year!:hat:
Pale Horse said:
C'est génial, mon ami. Sounds like a hoot (especially the burger bit) but promise that when we take the ride, I get the driver's seat! You & Gonzo can fight for the other spots.:p Mattzilla is welcome to join, if he wishes. Will we be drinking before, during or after the ride?

Silly me, in the year 2000, I actually had the opportunity to experience Forbidden Eye but chose not to!:mad: My 1st trip to Los Angeles was work-related (sent to the big, annual E3 conference) and my colleague & I had only one day free. We were deciding whether to go to Disneyland or Universal Studios and I was leaning towards Universal because:

- I had already been twice to Walt Disney World in Florida and had never been to a Universal park.

- Universal Studios was VERY close to our hotel in Beverly Hills.

- I totally wanted to take the tram past that GIGANTIC animatronic of my buddy, King Kong!:) At that time, Forbidden Eye was but a tiny blip on my radar and I wasn't interested enough in the Lucas/Disney connection to know what the ride was like. This ignorance was partly a negative reaction to the gaudy Superbowl Halftime Show* from just 5 years earlier. (Funny how a spectacle meant to promote the park's new attraction turned off this particular Indy fan.)

We ended up going to Universal and it's a decision that I regret NOW because this was my closest chance to riding "Forbidden Eye". The next year, while in Santa Monica, I had no time to go to Disneyland and then, several years later in 2008, San Francisco & Sonoma were too far away. One of these days, I'll be back in town and will finally ride this damned ride!

---
*Re. 1995 Superbowl "Forbidden Eye" Halftime Show:
For those who haven't seen it yet, our very own Moedred recently discovered his forgotten recording of this live event and has very graciously uploaded it. Check out this thread!:whip:

Indiana Jones & Super Bowl XXIX

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Stoo said:
Very cool.:cool: Oh, those crafty Imagineers! I like how they chose a jungle-temple theme rather than a desert one. It's also noticeable how the combined elements are evocative of "Doom" and the beginning of "Raiders". There doesn't seem to be anything related to "Crusade". Yes? No?

There's one, but it is, by far, the ride's weakest effect. There's a image of rats clambering over a branch that is projected onto some mist, thus making it look like you're going under the branch. Such screens can work, but I think Indy might be moving too quickly, leaving the mist/fog screen itself somewhat unstable and the image unclear. This scene has been replaced with a smoke ring effect in the Tokyo version of the ride.

One of the three rewards Mara might grant is eternal youth, at which point Mara says, "You have chosen wisely. This path leads to timeless youth and beauty." "You have chosen wisely" was also used in a couple of the AT & T ads (it was the rides sponsor through 2002) that you saw on your way out of the attraction, after the ride itself.

I'd have to listen to the soundtrack to recall whether any of the music is cribbed from Last Crusade. I'd also wager some of the crates and what not in the queue mention Henry Sr.

Dr. Gonzo

Stoo said:
C'est génial, mon ami. Sounds like a hoot (especially the burger bit) but promise that when we take the ride, I get the driver's seat! You & Gonzo can fight for the other spots.:p Mattzilla is welcome to join, if he wishes. Will we be drinking before, during or after the ride?

I have attempted to take a snork during that particular ride and it's very difficult...

And since it's a first time I suggest once stone cold sober... then we get "goofy" after the ride, then get back on it.

Silly me, in the year 2000, I actually had the opportunity to experience Forbidden Eye but chose not to!:mad: My 1st trip to Los Angeles was work-related (sent to the big, annual E3 conference) and my colleague & I had only one day free. We were deciding whether to go to Disneyland or Universal Studios and I was leaning towards Universal because:

- I had already been twice to Walt Disney World in Florida and had never been to a Universal park.

- Universal Studios was VERY close to our hotel in Beverly Hills.

- I totally wanted to take the tram past that GIGANTIC animatronic of my buddy, King Kong!:) At that time, Forbidden Eye was but a tiny blip on my radar and I wasn't interested enough in the Lucas/Disney connection to know what the ride was like. This ignorance was partly a negative reaction to the gaudy Superbowl Halftime Show* from just 5 years earlier. (Funny how a spectacle meant to promote the park's new attraction turned off this particular Indy fan.)

We ended up going to Universal and it's a decision that I regret NOW because this was my closest chance to riding "Forbidden Eye". The next year, while in Santa Monica, I had no time to go to Disneyland and then, several years later in 2008, San Francisco & Sonoma were too far away. One of these days, I'll be back in town and will finally ride this damned ride!

Well Stoo I think you did indeed unknowingly make a good choice...
because your beloved friend Kong burned to the ground a few years back in a strange studio fire and has since been replaced by a CGI version of his former glory.
(Although I can't knock the new one since I haven't seen it.)

Pale Horse

Staff member
Dr. Gonzo said:
I have attempted to take a snork during that particular ride and it's very difficult...
ROOKIE
Well Stoo I think you did indeed unknowingly make a good choice...
because your beloved friend Kong burned to the ground a few years back in a strange studio fire and has since been replaced by a CGI version of his former glory.
(Although I can't knock the new one since I haven't seen it.)
28 years in SoCal, never once been to the Studios. Isn't the King gone now, in favor of the more 'substantial' Transformers experience?

Attila the Professor

Staff member
By the way, in related news, word on the street is that Disney Imagineer Tony Baxter is retiring. He was the creative lead on Temple of the Forbidden Eye, along with many others.

Dr. Gonzo

Pale Horse said:
:D

28 years in SoCal, never once been to the Studios.

Really? Interesting, I thought for sure you'd have traveled there a few times.
We'll have to remedy that as well.

Isn't the King gone now, in favor of the more 'substantial' Transformers experience?

As far as I know Kong was rebuilt on the same stage but in the form of giant 3d projection screens around the tram track which you have to wear special glasses for.

Transformers may have replaced the Back to the Future/The Simpsons ride...
I'm not sure...

It's funny I'm over that way a lot at the technicolor building but I haven't been inside the "park" in a few years.

mattzilla2010

Stoo said:
In any case, thanks for the air-blast explanation, Mattzilla...and Happy New Year!:hat:
You're welcome, Stoo. Happy New Year to you as well. :)

Stoo said:
Stoo eating In-N-Out and riding Temple of the Forbidden Eye for the first time? Wouldn't miss it. ;)

Stoo said:
*Re. 1995 Superbowl "Forbidden Eye" Halftime Show:
For those who haven't seen it yet, our very own Moedred recently discovered his forgotten recording of this live event and has very graciously uploaded it. Check out this thread!:whip:

Indiana Jones & Super Bowl XXIX
That was horrifying.

Dr. Gonzo said:
And since it's a first time I suggest once stone cold sober... then we get "goofy" after the ride, then get back on it.
Brilliant. :gun:

Forbidden Eye

Attila the Professor said:
I'd have to listen to the soundtrack to recall whether any of the music is cribbed from Last Crusade.

Right after the snake scene the music from the tank battle is played.

Attila the Professor said:
By the way, in related news, word on the street is that Disney Imagineer Tony Baxter is retiring. He was the creative lead on Temple of the Forbidden Eye, along with many others.

And as you noted a while back, was the one responsible for Disney's first collaborating with Lucasfilm.

He also appeared in the documentary Indyfans and the Quest for Fortune and Glory.

Hope his new job as a consultant will allow him to have influence on the company.

Dr. Gonzo said:
Transformers may have replaced the Back to the Future/The Simpsons ride...
I'm not sure...

The Transformers ride is actually where Backdraft/the old special effects stage used to be, down at the lower lot next to Jurassic Park and E.T.(now The Mummy). The Simpsons ride is still there.

InexorableTash

I have a similar playlist put together:

* Jungle Cruise Radio News (which has call outs to Indy and Brody)
* Entry Queue Music (period songs plus "Eye on the Globe" sound bites; filtered to remove the generator whine)
* The Bat Cave
* Spike Room
* 3 clips of Dr. Dunfor Pullit
* Sallah's Safety Film
* Sallah's start of the ride warnings about the brakes/wheels
* the ride's score (no SFX)
* Sallah's exit reminder
* Exit queue ambience ("tiki drums")
* the short version of the Raiders March as played when entering/exiting the park

Le Saboteur

Has the rip-off attraction @ Lotte World in S. Korea ever come up around here in conversation? It's called Pharaoh's Fury and is a complete rip-off the Indiana Jones Adventure except for, like, the thrills and such.

I apologize for the team of arses behind the camera and at the wheel.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/54nzYI4qz9A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

There's a night vision take on the ride over here.

mattzilla2010

Just a few days ago those crafty Imagineers added a new effect at the beginning of the ride. Take a look!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/-ylhTL5_PRY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

For the most part, I think this is fantastic, especially the fact that they gave each of the three "paths" its own unique effect.

However, the new Mara voice is absolutely awful. Bring back the old one. Also not entirely sold on how cartoony the eyes look when they first open. Maybe it looks better in person. Either way, I can't wait to see it for myself! :D

HenryJunior

That effect on the face of Mara when He gets upset is awesome! I like how each temple has a much more distinct feel rather than just a color swap. I don't understand why they re-recorded Mara, the new creepy effects would have matched the original voice perfectly. No offense to whoever got paid to do it but they really should have kept it the same. It would be like replacing Paul Frees on The Haunted Mansion, it's just unnecessary. As for the eyes, it's not bad, I wish they would do real animatronics instead of that weird projected animation, it's the same thing they use on the Toy Story and Cars Rides.

Now they need to animate the hall of skeletons blowing "darts" at you.

Rivers

Arrrggggg.... just missed this!! I just got back from Disneyland two weeks ago and they did not have this yet!!!!