User Name
Password

Old 12-06-2013, 02:12 AM   #526
Stoo
IndyFan

Dig New Reply to a 2-Year-Old Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demitasse
I identified some music from Perils of Cupid that hasn't been mentioned in this thread yet.

While Young Indy sneaks around the palace (37:00-39:00), the archduke and his guests are listening to Mozart’s Piano Concerto in D Minor, K. 466, 2nd Movement (Romanza). Rosenthal has incorporated elements of it into the score as well.
You can find a very similar version to the one used in the episode on the very last track of disc 3 of the score for the film Amadeus. This will add another nice little 10 minutes of music to your YIJC collections. The piece complements the musical cues of this episode very well.
Yes, it's a 2-year-old topic but I wanted to thank Demitasse, again, for identifying this. Great post & why I love The Raven.

A few days ago, my girlfriend & I were in Vienna and went to see an orchestra perform Mozart & Strauss. The concert was in a nice, big, old Austrian building and THEY PLAYED THIS PIECE. I was really hoping they would and they did...beautifully. 'Twas a very special experience to hear some 'Young Indy music' PLAYED LIVE in the SAME CITY & SAME MONTH where the episode took place (105 years later)!

Our windows at Hotel Bristol were right across the street from the Vienna State Opera House. Many of the hotel room doors, on each & every floor, held plaques indicating the years of when famous people had LIVED in those rooms for long periods of time (from the 1890s onwards...including Teddy Roosevelt, 1910). Our own hallway was an international 'who's who' list of late 19th/early 20th century musical celebrities with overlapping timeframes. This place must have been one hell of a party back in those days! Richard Strauss had our room from c.1919-1924.

---
*** NEXT MYSTERY TO SOLVE from "Vienna/Perils of Cupid": The violin piece playing in the background when Indy interrupts the Archduke at dinner. Could it be more Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart? Or perhaps some Strauss (Johann I or II)?

---
P.S. Tash and MDew and Demitasse: I've been meaning to comment on your earlier posts but need to get this Vienna trip out of my system while the memories are still fresh. Will reply later...after the buzz wears off.
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 03:07 PM   #527
T.E.Lawrence
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by InexorableTash
As announced over on its message board, the 1990-2005 archives of Film Score Monthly are now available for free download.

Relevant to this thread is Issue #44 which contains an issue with Joel McNeely about scoring YIJ. The article gives some background on McNeely and he discusses Lucas' dreaded temp-tracks, why Africa is more "jazz" than Paris, and the challenge of living up to the incredible visuals of the episodes.

These earlier PDFs are scans/bitmaps with no OCR so the text is not searchable. I don't suppose anyone wants to dig in for other YIJC tidbits?

EDIT: issue #30/31 has a review of the Vol 2 OST, and issue #36/37 has a review of the Vol 3 OST. There's an extremely short interview with Rosenthal in issue #49 that mentions YIJC - and the SW prequels and Indy 4 (this is in 1994!)

WARNING: The file server is hella slow. On an extremely fast connection the 32MB download took several minutes and appeared to hang. I assume they're using an RFC 1149 compliant server or something.

WOW!!!! InexorableTash, you have made my day with this post. Fantastic find. I will download all issues and will try to OCR them all in a hope maybe to find more references. Thanks sooo muchhhh for thissssss!!!!!!!
T.E.Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 03:11 PM   #528
Stoo
IndyFan

Dig New Discovery + Another Very Belated Reply to Demitasse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demitasse
More music identified!
----------------
Guess I'm on a roll here. Maybe I should start saving these for a rainy day too, but when it rains it pours, eh Stoo?! (hint, hint)

I just ID'd some more music, this time from Passion for Life. Stoo was right about his hunch (way back on the first page of this thread!) about the opening piece being by Ladysmith Black Mambazo.

Rejoice, for the music from that beautiful African montage that opens the episode is called "Umusa Kankulunkulu (Mercy Of God)." It's the first track on their album, Journey of Dreams (1988), and will hopefully conjure more from Passion for Life than, er, "Graceland"!

Woohoo! Three and a half more minutes to clock in!
Demitasse, I don't know why I didn't comment on your discovery 2.5 years ago but am doing so now because there is more to add. (Better later than never, eh?)

The music at the very beginning of the DVD is, "Ibhubesi", from the exact same Ladysmith Black Mambazo album, "Journey of Dreams" (but it's edited a tiny, little bit). The track which you identified, "Umusa Kankulunkulu", comes later, during the scenes where Indy & Meto are hanging out together, watching the wildlife. During that later part, the soundtrack seamlessly segues back into the final stanzas of "Ibhubesi".

Inexorable Tash's spreadsheet will be updated with these details.

In Zulu, "ibhubesi" means "lion". Funny how South African music was used for a story that takes place in East Africa ('cuz, like, all of Africa is the same, y'know?)
Old 04-14-2014, 10:10 PM   #529
Demitasse
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo
The music at the very beginning of the DVD is, "Ibhubesi", from the exact same Ladysmith Black Mambazo album, "Journey of Dreams" (but it's edited a tiny, little bit). The track which you identified, "Umusa Kankulunkulu", comes later, during the scenes where Indy & Meto are hanging out together, watching the wildlife. During that later part, the soundtrack seamlessly segues back into the final stanzas of "Ibhubesi".

Nice!!! Way to go Stoo!! Can't wait to track it down!
Demitasse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 01:46 PM   #530
Stoo
IndyFan

Demitasse, the whole album is worth having, regardless of the Indy connection…and THANK YOU for initially confirming my suspicions!

"Umusa Kankulunkulu" is also used again during the part where Meto wakes up Indy in his tent and they go off on the hunt.

The 2 tracks by Ladysmith Black Mambazo are rather essential for a full soundtrack of this episode. As far as I'm aware, these are the only pieces of music which were borrowed from outside sources & not recorded specifically for the TV show. (Are there any others?)