Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark

IndyBuff

CMNeir said:
In my opinion i like the "Indiana Jones and the" in front of the movies because then it is a clear that this is an Indiana Jones adventure, and even though it doesn't seem to fit well with the first one, i don't mind it being there. I wonder what they'll call the 4th one, Indiana Jones and the..... :confused:

Maybe they'll name it, "Indiana Jones and the Fourth Film That Fans Want To See But Will Probably Never Get." It's a little long but I think it could work.;)

Chris Jones

lol, only if George made a 4th and 5th like he planned back in the day.... IT woudl have been so cool.. But no, we have to wait this long.

Crack that whip

Adamwankenobi said:
Why has Lucas changed the name of the film on the VHS and DVD covers? Now, I know he did this to fit in with the Young Indy concept, but why change the DVD cover and not the name of the film itself?

Well, Raiders of the Lost Ark is a classic, and well-known by that title; at this point, actually changing the title would undoubtedly be seen as a desecration along the lines of Greedo shooting first, and just get more fans angry at him (of course, plenty are mad enough that he did it even on the packaging, and apparently don't even believe that he didn't do it "for real," on the movie itself). Beyond that, no one really refers to it as "Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark" anyway, probably not even Lucas himself or anyone who works for him.

Someone around here pointed out a while back that it likely was never meant to be a "real" title change, but done simply so it would get placed next to the other movies in video stores and other places that organize their movies alphabetically, which makes sense. I doubt it was done for any other reason, and suspect it was never meant as an "actual" title change.

At any rate, the reason I bumped this old thread now is because in the current coverage and publicity for the impending IMAX screenings, they're using both versions of the title, even in the official advertising. Here on AMC's Indy event page, they show the classic "Raiders" logo, right above an image of the poster, which has the "Indiana Jones and the..." version of the title. One can also find both versions in use around the official Indy site. Interesting.

Adamwankenobi said:
Also, why did he not call the next film simply "The Temple of Doom," or the third film "The Last Crusade?" IMHO, it would have been nice if all three films would have the same title structures.

I remember when there was a forthcoming sequel to Raiders of the Lost Ark, with different sources giving different information about the title, and some uncertainty over whether it'd be called "Raiders of the Temple of Death" or "Indiana Jones and the Temple of Death."

I sometimes see various people who worked on the movies, notably Steven Spielberg, refer to the movies collectively as "Raiders pictures" rather than "Indiana Jones pictures," or something like that...

Adamwankenobi said:
Wow! You guys are radically different in opinions of titles than a lot of the Star Wars fans I talk to! A lot of those old school star wars fans can't stand the concept of calling the original films by their episode titles. And when I ask them why, and tell them that I think it makes them all sound uniform they automatically want to burn me at the stake or ban me immeidately from the forum, whichever comes first. :whip:

There are indeed a lot of such people among us old-school Star Wars fans, but speaking for myself, I actually do use the full episode titles, at least the first time I mention one of them in a given conversation, even for Star Wars - Episode IV: A New Hope (like that), despite its having actually been just "Star Wars" when it first came out.

kongisking

I do find it slightly eyeroll-worthy that IndyFans often get really upset over the new title. As a person who likes consistency with their franchises, I have no beef with the "Indiana Jones and the" beginning. (shrugs) maybe I'm just not a true IndyFan, that's why I don't get riled up over this stuff...:rolleyes:

Sakis

TR.N Staff Member
Henry W Jones said:
Has anyone seen if it was changed on the actual film or are we speculating?

The change of the title on the film itself would need Spielberg's aproval. He did gave his aproval back in 2003 when the DVDs were released with the sight of the cobra against the glass removed or the german jeep that takes a plunge from the digital gorge. But I think this is as far as he could go. The title would have been changed back then. They didn't do then they will never do. Spielberg is in favour of originality. This is how he shot it, this is how he wants people to remember it. I think he wasn't even satisfied with how E.T. looked like in its new edition. And this is why now the film will be just as it was originally shown. At least this is what they promise us.

Adamwankenobi said:
Wow! You guys are radically different in opinions of titles than a lot of the Star Wars fans I talk to! A lot of those old school star wars fans can't stand the concept of calling the original films by their episode titles. And when I ask them why, and tell them that I think it makes them all sound uniform they automatically want to burn me at the stake or ban me immeidately from the forum, whichever comes first. :whip:

Although I'm also a fan of Star Wars it was more easy for me to digest some of the changes Lucas made, let alone the title. And I say some, not all of them. For example, I can understand the replacement of Clive Revill's with that of Ian McDiarmid in Empire Strikes Back for consistancy but I didn't like the change in the dialogue. In general the "upgrade" of the original trilogy didn't mind me because I saw that Lucas was right. Not in the Greedo case of course. Otherwise, the whole Star Wars saga would suffer the same visual inconsistency of this year's Prometheus with the original Alien.

Back on our subject, Indy doesn't have such issues. His stories take place in the past and doesn't have upgrade needs. If there is, though, one shot I would like to be changed/reworked is that of the german plane entering the tunnel in Last Crusade. Awful, awful shot, but that's how matinees were made so I can live with that.

Brooke Logan

Sakis said:
Although I'm also a fan of Star Wars it was more easy for me to digest some of the changes Lucas made, let alone the title. And I say some, not all of them. For example, I can understand the replacement of Clive Revill's with that of Ian McDiarmid in Empire Strikes Back for consistancy but I didn't like the change in the dialogue.

Not to get off the subject, but what I didn't like that they changed was putting Hayden Christensen's face over the older actor that played Anakin at the end of Jedi. Much as I like to see Hayden's handsome face, that was just wrong imo.

Back on subject, I see no reason to change the title or anything about any of the films, imo the original trilogy is about as perfect as you're going to get!

(Only thing I would change is, add in the scene where Willie goes for help and the reveal that Chattar Lal is one of the bad guys. It would be better for her character to see her going on her own for help and how she gets captured, rather than just showing her captured.)

Sakis

TR.N Staff Member
Brooke Logan said:
Only thing I would change is, add in the scene where Willie goes for help and the reveal that Chattar Lal is one of the bad guys. It would be better for her character to see her going on her own for help and how she gets captured, rather than just showing her captured.

(y) (y) (y)

Crack that whip

Oh, I'm sure by now many here will of course already have seen this for themselves, but if anyone's still wondering, the movie is indeed still just "Raiders of the Lost Ark" on screen in the current IMAX presentation, even though the poster uses "Indiana Jones and the...," etc.

(y)