Going to Arizona

dr.jones1986

Im going to the Grand Canyon state for the first time on Aug 5th for 4 days. 2 of those days will be spent seeing Sedona, Montazuma's castle and of course the Grand Canyon. The other 2 days will be spent in the Phoneix area, doese anybody live around there or have been there and have any recamendations on things to do. Scottsdale nice? Im a big GIANTS fan so id like to see the stadium where they won the SB.

Crystal Skull was screening out there for free in May. Sorry other than that you can drive 5 hours to Vegas and catch Temple...hmmm you're not out there till August. That's a tough month to be out in the desert. Maybe bring some Indy gear and make like it's Cairo.

Hell, maybe go check out Area 51...

Gear

Rocket Surgeon said:
Hell, maybe go check out Area 51...

An uncle of mine was in the air force back in the 80s and for the hell of it he took a trip to the Area 51 location and drove up to a perimeter. Some guards came out and told he had to leave and that they were authorized to shot him for being there.

Though, I've heard they abandoned the terranean facilities and everything's underground and in the mountains now. Still, be warned shall ye venture.

dr.jones1986

well I am getting ready to leave AZ and I have some time to kill so I figured id post my thoughts about the trip. AZ is really a beautiful state. Phoenix and the surrounding cities in the valley are pretty cool. It was hot...110+ the first day but i didn't think it was that unbearable.
Sedona is very nice, it really has the iconic look of the "Old West". The Northern Part of the state is beautiful, even though it is not at all what you would expect from AZ. It is forested and looks more like the Pacific Northwest than the Southwestern US. The Grand Canyon kind of jumps out at you, one minute your in the middle of this thick forest and than all of a sudden your looking at a gigantic hole in the earth. It really is aw inspiring. I also got to see Montezuma's castle, a Native American cliff dwelling, which was really cool. The night we spent up by the Grand Canyon was at a trading post on the Navajo reservation, really nice place.
AZ is a beautiful state and the summer heat was not as unbearable as I was expecting. It is actually really cool and windy up by the Grand Canyon.

Indy99

Damn, I wish I had seen this thread earlier! I lived in Arizona for 10 years, 7 of them inside the Grand Canyon National Park. My house was about a 15 minute walk from the rim. The other 3 were in Phoenix, so I certainly could have offered a few suggestions for fun. I used to work at an Old West town in Scottsdale called RAWHIDE. I was one of the stunt performers that would have gunfights in the streets and fall off exploding buildings, etc. That place is always good for a laugh. Tombstone is only about 2.5 hours away. it's cool that you saw Montezuma's castle; that's not really that well known of a site, but it is pretty awesome looking isn't it? there's a whole series of cliff dwellings near Flagstaff in that canyon heading toward Sedona...the name is escaping me...

Anyway, glad you had a good time. But where are you from that 110 isn't so hot? ;)

dr.jones1986

Indy99 said:
Damn, I wish I had seen this thread earlier! I lived in Arizona for 10 years, 7 of them inside the Grand Canyon National Park. My house was about a 15 minute walk from the rim. The other 3 were in Phoenix, so I certainly could have offered a few suggestions for fun. I used to work at an Old West town in Scottsdale called RAWHIDE. I was one of the stunt performers that would have gunfights in the streets and fall off exploding buildings, etc. That place is always good for a laugh. Tombstone is only about 2.5 hours away. it's cool that you saw Montezuma's castle; that's not really that well known of a site, but it is pretty awesome looking isn't it? there's a whole series of cliff dwellings near Flagstaff in that canyon heading toward Sedona...the name is escaping me...

Anyway, glad you had a good time. But where are you from that 110 isn't so hot? ;)

I am from NY and I the heat did not overly bother me, but perhaps it was because i was not doing to much outside in PX, except going in the pool. That is cool that you lived in GC national park...idk they allowed homes in there. Where was it exactly?

Indy99

Actually, they have a school there and everything! The park has about 3000 residents in the summer, and roughly 1500 permanent residents, meaning they stay all year. I am, btw, speaking only of the South Rim. The North side closes during the winter. If you stood in front of the Bright Angel Lodge, and turned your back to the canyon, my house would be straight as the crow flies about .75 miles. There's a little mobile home park back there; it's kind of behind Yavapai lodge. Did you stay the night up there?

dr.jones1986

Indy99 said:
Actually, they have a school there and everything! The park has about 3000 residents in the summer, and roughly 1500 permanent residents, meaning they stay all year. I am, btw, speaking only of the South Rim. The North side closes during the winter. If you stood in front of the Bright Angel Lodge, and turned your back to the canyon, my house would be straight as the crow flies about .75 miles. There's a little mobile home park back there; it's kind of behind Yavapai lodge. Did you stay the night up there?

No, I stayed at the Cameroun Trading Post on the Navajo reservation which was great, I love Native American culture and that place was really nice...great price as well. The lodges at the GC were double the price and I wasnt willing to pony up the bucks.

Indy99

dr.jones1986 said:
No, I stayed at the Cameroun Trading Post on the Navajo reservation which was great, I love Native American culture and that place was really nice...great price as well. The lodges at the GC were double the price and I wasnt willing to pony up the bucks.

I'm actually very familiar with that place. :) Of all the places I have lived, the Grand Canyon is the only one I ever miss! Next time, you gotta try a river trip. And even though the white water ones (4 day minimum trip) are often sold out months in advance, even the smooth water 2 hour trips are awe-inspiring!

Did you happen to hit Lake Powell, a couple hours from that trading post? It's where they filmed shots in Planet of the Apes - both old and new versions!

dr.jones1986

Indy99 said:
I'm actually very familiar with that place. :) Of all the places I have lived, the Grand Canyon is the only one I ever miss! Next time, you gotta try a river trip. And even though the white water ones (4 day minimum trip) are often sold out months in advance, even the smooth water 2 hour trips are awe-inspiring!

Did you happen to hit Lake Powell, a couple hours from that trading post? It's where they filmed shots in Planet of the Apes - both old and new versions!

no i did not but i read a little about it before i left.