Looking for a fedora for a large head

mikieson

Mickiana said:
Throw some Fullers Earth on it to lighten it up and give it that authentic dusty look.
ive seen it online...and have seen people use it..I dont get it..what is it really? just dirt?sand?what??..

mikieson

Just searched for some videos of someone using fullers earth and all I get is women applying it to their faces or something totally way off the subject

Mickiana

I think Fullers Earth is some mineral used in the mining industry. I could be wrong, I haven't bothered to look it up. Don't breathe it in when using it, not sure why though. If you don't want to spend the money or risk dealing with a possibly hazardous substance, just find some ordinary appropriate dirt or dust and use that instead. Unsealed road dirt might be good. It's usually nice and powdery.

mikieson

Mickiana said:
I think Fullers Earth is some mineral used in the mining industry. I could be wrong, I haven't bothered to look it up. Don't breathe it in when using it, not sure why though. If you don't want to spend the money or risk dealing with a possibly hazardous substance, just find some ordinary appropriate dirt or dust and use that instead. Unsealed road dirt might be good. It's usually nice and powdery.
I can vouch for using DIRT...when I aged my wool fedora I did just that..stepped on it..ground it in the dirt,rocks,burn pile ash,smash against trees,...really surprised it didnt get a hole in it..Did it several times too..PLUS steaming it bashing,pinching..ect..

I just dont know if I want to do all that to my Fed IV..I mean its a 150$ hat where the wool one was 60$ and looked NOTHING like an INDY hat..the reasons for beating the crap out of it..:D

mikieson

and to add.....the wool fedora was dark..Not as dark as the Fed IV..but dark..and its now a brown,dirt mixture look..actually LOOKS good as far as the ware and tare..