Indy's office in Last Crusade

Mickiana

I had a look for a previous discussion but couldn't find one.

What's the go with Indy's office in Last Crusade? It looks like a boiler room. Why did they decide to make his office look this?

Montana Smith

All the better offices were given to teachers who didn't desert at the drop of a fedora.

I think it is a boiler room. And thought it had something to do with Indy being marginalized from the regular teaching staff due to his extra-curricular activities.

Indys_office.jpg

Also seems a good place for him to hide away, and sneak away from.

Mickiana

Yes, it looks the college was hard up for faculty office space or, as you say, Professor Jones wasn't in someone's favour. The artefacts on the make shift shelving aren't even on display. They are just crammed there. Makes me wonder if there was something deleted that explained this unlikely office setting.

Montana Smith

Mickiana said:
Yes, it looks the college was hard up for faculty office space or, as you say, Professor Jones wasn't in someone's favour. The artefacts on the make shift shelving aren't even on display. They are just crammed there. Makes me wonder if there was something deleted that explained this unlikely office setting.

There's a page from a comic book showing Indy in a crammed office. Can't find it right now, and can't recall whether it was depicting this scene or whether it was expanded universe.

Stoo

Montana Smith said:
There's a page from a comic book showing Indy in a crammed office. Can't find it right now, and can't recall whether it was depicting this scene or whether it was expanded universe.
'Twas a late '82/early '83 Marvel advertisement page for "Further Adventures" issue #2 (more than 6 years before "Crusade" was released).

Remember this thread, started in July 2008? John Byrne's Indiana Jones

Harvey's & JuniorJones' scans were true Christmas presents in December 2010!:D

harvey said:

Montana Smith

Stoo said:
'Twas a late '82/early '83 Marvel advertisement page for "Further Adventures" issue #2 (more than 6 years before "Crusade" was released).

Remember this thread, started in July 2008? John Byrne's Indiana Jones

Harvey's & JuniorJones' scans were true Christmas presents in December 2010!:D

Thanks, Stoo. That's the one, of course. I couldn't find it anywhere!

The date supports the idea I wanted to suggest in response to Mickiana:

Mickiana said:
Makes me wonder if there was something deleted that explained this unlikely office setting.

Maybe the comic was a partial influence for the unusual setting?

Goodeknight

Yes, obviously a boiler room. I always loved it. It's a funny moment when the frazzled (world famous) professor comes back from another adventure, faces throngs of needy students and mountains of papers, and then walks into his "office," a cramped boiler room. Mr. Big Shot relegated to the only space available to someone who's barely ever on campus.

Great stuff.

Incidentally, when I was teaching in South Central Los Angeles, the whole school district was beyond capacity. (Still is.) My room, where I taught English as a Second Language, was the former print shop. Half of it was cordoned off by a short chain link fence that surrounded one-ton printing machines that were probably 30 years old. A big red "on" switch got the machines going, and could have taken an arm off. But it was available space, and so they used it. So an office in a boiler room is perfectly plausible.

Mickiana

The comic book pic does indeed look like it was an inspiration. In fact, the scene from LC looks like they took it further. Indy looks like he can barely move in there. His desk is so small it's got a board on top to increase it's area, not like the generous desk in the comic pic.

Pale Horse

Staff member
On a side note, does anyone else see Carl the Ikea Monkey on the shelf behind Indy's left shoulder?

Ikea-monkey-in-Toronto-st-008.jpg

Finn

Staff member
It's a curious thing indeed. I don't think many get the stealth joke however, as the "office" does appear to have its own anteroom, where Indy's TA works. Curiously, said room appears far more spacious than his actual study.

Could be it's simply another repurposed room, but unless it's canonically explained, I'm still calling that some wildly peculiar building layout planning. As if someone saw beforehand that the boiler room could be used as an office at some point.

WilliamBoyd8

I always thought he was hiding out from his students, especially love-sick girls, in a storeroom.

He probably has an official office someplace.

:)

Mickiana

Pale Horse said:
On a side note, does anyone else see Carl the Ikea Monkey on the shelf behind Indy's left shoulder?

Ikea-monkey-in-Toronto-st-008.jpg

Not really sure, is it that thing that is level with his head on our right on the second shelf? It kind of looks a bit like a face?

Stoo

Mickiana said:
His desk is so small it's got a board on top to increase it's area,
Could it be a desk or table with folding wings?

If you like this piece of furniture, vote for it immediately in this exciting & important poll:

What Is Your Favourite Desk From The Trilogy?

WilliamBoyd8 said:
I always thought he was hiding out from his students, especially love-sick girls, in a storeroom.

He probably has an official office someplace.
This is probably the case because Henry Jones' name isn't on the door anywhere. It could be just a storage space nearby his classroom.
Finn said:
Could be it's simply another repurposed room, but unless it's canonically explained, I'm still calling that some wildly peculiar building layout planning. As if someone saw beforehand that the boiler room could be used as an office at some point.
The boilers for a building that size would be huge so it's possible that this room could have been part of a small add-on that required it's own heating system.
Smiffy said:
Thanks, Stoo. That's the one, of course. I couldn't find it anywhere!
You're welcome, Smiff. It's a great illustration. Love the bitten sandwich!
Goodeknight said:
Incidentally, when I was teaching in South Central Los Angeles, the whole school district was beyond capacity. (Still is.) My room, where I taught English as a Second Language, was the former print shop. Half of it was cordoned off by a short chain link fence that surrounded one-ton printing machines that were probably 30 years old. A big red "on" switch got the machines going, and could have taken an arm off. But it was available space, and so they used it. So an office in a boiler room is perfectly plausible.
I love hearing about personal experiences. Hey, Goodeknight, have you ever seen the movie, "Office Space"? There is a funny bit where a guy gets his desk relegated to the basement.
Pale Horse said:
Carl?:confused: The IKEA Monkey's name is Darwin (and I can see him in the pic).;)

HAPPY NEW YEAR, guys!:hat: