Adventure Novel recommendations

adventure_al

My local library has The Quest by Wilbur Smith. it has excellent reviews but is it a sensible place to start when gauging his work?

Also thanks for the Sussman suggestion, Finn. I wasn't aware of him but I like the fact he has a bit of background in the field. I will most definately check him out.

Montana Smith

adventure_al said:
My local library has The Quest by Wilbur Smith. it has excellent reviews but is it a sensible place to start when gauging his work?

You could narrow your choices down by selecting the period that most interests you at the moment.

The W. Smith Bibliography page looks like it dates the events of each novel. Some are set in the 1800s, some right up to the date of writing.

The Leopard Hunts by Darkness (a modern tale of Africa) was probably the last one I read. I was reading his books when I was at school, as both my parents were fans of them at the time. So the books were in the household, until space became an issue and they got boxed up for the charity shop.

I really regret that now, and talking about them again means I'm going to be looking out for them.

I'd have to recommend his earlier work, as those are the ones I've read.

G-Man

Finn said:
I'd love to, but I really can't. Far too outlandish.

I mean, I don't mind a bit of wackiness now and then, but Reilly takes it up to eleven. I won't go into details but I felt like I was reading a saturday morning cartoon dressed as an adventure novel aimed for mature tastes.

I like Cussler and sure, he can also dabble in light fantasy at times, but Reilly starts wading in while continuing to pretend his feet are still dry. Pass.
Yeah I have to agree. I've read all three 'Jack West' books, and whilst enjoying them, they are way over the top. Traps upon traps upon traps, all easily and quickly solved by West, who, despite his skills, is always one step behind the bad guys.

Ska

As over the top as they may be, I enjoyed both of the Jack West books (haven't read the 3rd one yet...The 5 Greatest Warriors). Another good one from Matthew Reilly is Temple. My friends and I based our Indy fan film around the book. (PM me and I'll send ya a link to watch it if you're interested).

As for James Rollins, I much prefer his older work. Excavation is great and a must read for Indy fans. Sandstorm is also good, as is Amazonia. I'm not a big fan of the SIGMA Force series, but they're interesting enough for me to want to read the next novel.

I've only read one Wilbur Smith novel, The Seventh Scroll. I really enjoyed it and have been meaning to read more of his work.

Another series you might like, if you like these, is the Babylon Rising series from Tim LaHaye. He's a Christian author (known for the Left Behind series), but doesn't get too preachy in this series. Basically each book is about the main character Michael Murphy, a college professor, trying to track down an artifact that will further prove the Bible correct. Like all adventure plots, there's (a group of) bad guys trying to stop him. He's only written 4 books so far in the series, and one hasn't been released since 2006. I hope he hasn't abandoned it. I'm really excited to see where the series goes from here.

adventure_al

Ska said:
Another series you might like, if you like these, is the Babylon Rising series from Tim LaHaye. He's a Christian author (known for the Left Behind series), but doesn't get too preachy in this series. Basically each book is about the main character Michael Murphy, a college professor, trying to track down an artifact that will further prove the Bible correct. Like all adventure plots, there's (a group of) bad guys trying to stop him. He's only written 4 books so far in the series, and one hasn't been released since 2006. I hope he hasn't abandoned it. I'm really excited to see where the series goes from here.

That sounds really good actually. My Dad has been to bible college and the like and while I'm not that way inclined, we used to enjoy watching documentaries covering similiar topics.

Plus it gives me a good slant in trying to convince my parents to buy the book for me ;)

Ska

I really do like the Babylon Rising series. They also tend to get a little silly at times, but the good far outweighs the bad. I removed any possible spoilers in the book summaries below.

Currently, there are four novels in Tim LaHaye's fiction series Babylon Rising (the first co-authored by Greg Dinallo and the others by Dr. Bob Phillips, Ph.D). Each novel has to do with the hero, Michael Murphy, a college professor, and his struggles (on which he is sent by a mysterious rich man calling himself "Methuselah") to find an artifact that could prove the Bible correct. Murphy must deal with "The Seven", an evil group "bent on creating a one-world religion, government, and currency," and Talon, the man with a knifelike fingernail on one prosthetic finger who carries out The Seven's orders.

Babylon Rising
The First Book goes by the same name of the series, Babylon Rising. It chronicles the adventures of Michael Murphy and how he tries to find the three pieces of The Brazen Serpent at the call of Methuselah. A video game version of Babylon Rising is currently in development.

The Secret On Ararat
The Second Book of the series, entitled The Secret On Ararat, again chronicles the adventures of Murphy and Isis and how they search for Noah's Ark in order to prove to the world the truths of the Bible.

The Europa Conspiracy
The Third Book in the series, called The Europa Conspiracy, is about the rise of the Seven and Michael Murphy's attempt to find the Handwriting on the Wall.

The Edge Of Darkness
The Fourth Book in Babylon Rising, The Edge Of Darkness, is about Michael Murphy locating the Lost Temple of Dagon which contains Aaron's Rod and the Golden Jar of Manna.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Babylon_Rising

Captain Craig

I've read 2 of Rollins books and got a third not long back and plan to read it soon. Map of Bones really sold me, great read!! I also pickd up The Rosetta Key by William Dietrich. Dietrich protagonist is Ethan Gage and I liked what I found there.

Le Saboteur

It hasn't been mentioned yet, but Fredrick Forsyth's The Dogs of War should be added to the list; the book, not the movie. It tells a story that might be familiar to readers of The Dark of the Sun, but is definitely worth one's time.

adventure_al

Just to report back:

Excavation by James Rollins was a great read. Prompted me to buy Map of Bones too. (only £2 brand new in a bargain bookshop!)

I also found, The Mayan Prophecy - Steve Alten:

51mP1xMh30L.jpg

Looks really good! Anyone read it?

adventure_al

Ironclaw said:
I've only read Amazonia by Rollins. Wasn't that great. Too much of a "10 Little Indians" thing going on.

Excavation was good. Not exactally original but I'd expect most Indy fans to enjoy it.

Next up I've just started 'Hidden Oasis' by Paul Sussman.

adventure_al

adventure_al said:
Excavation was good. Not exactally original but I'd expect most Indy fans to enjoy it.

Next up I've just started 'Hidden Oasis' by Paul Sussman.

This was fantastic. Would definately recommend.

Last edited by a moderator:

adventure_al

Good Adventure Novels

Has anyone read 'The Noah's Ark Quest' by Boyd Morrison?

n333594.jpg

I've not quite finished yet (so no spoilers please!) but I have to say I'm thoroughly enjoying it! I'm sure the rest of you would find it entertaining reading material too.

It is his first book and the more particular amongst you I'm sure could pick flaws. However it is fast paced and exciting. Great story with likeable characters. I'd highly recommend it.

[PS. Mods. What about a literature section? much like the general movies section. Rather than just Indy specific literature]

Finn

Staff member
adventure_al said:
[PS. Mods. What about a literature section? much like the general movies section. Rather than just Indy specific literature]
Very commendable idea, it's just unfortunately so that I don't think we have enough members who can read.

Stoo

adventure_al said:
Has anyone read 'The Noah's Ark Quest' by Boyd Morrison?
Not yet, Al, but thanks for the heads-up. If you can find it, be sure to check out the movie, "In Search of Noah's Ark", from 1976. (It was a feature film and not part of the TV series called, "In Search of...").
Finn said:
Very commendable idea, it's just unfortunately so that I don't think we have enough members who can read.
The post-2008 Raven crowd sure know how to read comic books, though. That is undeniable and incontestable.

Stoo said:
The post-2008 Raven crowd sure know how to read comic books, though. That is undeniable and incontestable.
Well that's really a "look at the pictures" type of deal, and they have the dramas to help them along!;)

Adventure novels...hmm would Hostage to the Devil be considered an adventure novel?

Goodeknight

Personally I'm a fan of the classics. Recently read the original Lost World by Arthur Conan Doyle (1912). Fantastic.

Time Machine by H.G. Wells. Even if you read them as a kid, they're worth rereading. And if you never read them, they're a must. I dropped Journey to the Center of the Earth after the 19th passage about mineralogy.

Yes they're straightforward with simple plot structures, but they're great reads with an air of nostalgia to them.

Chronicles of Narnia. LOTR. Also worth rereading.

Stoo

Rocket Surgeon said:
Well that's really a "look at the pictures" type of deal, and they have the dramas to help them along!;)
You mean the word, "snikt", isn't in the dictionary?:confused:
Rocket Surgeon said:
Adventure novels...hmm would Hostage to the Devil be considered an adventure novel?
Dunno, but Wilbur Smith's, "Shout at the Devil", is!
goodeknight said:
I dropped Journey to the Center of the Earth after the 19th passage about mineralogy.
Try and have another go, Goodeknight. Being an avid fan of Jules Verne, "Journey" is probably my favourite of his oeuvres. Really glad to hear that you've finally read, "The Lost World"!(y) (First time I read it was an actual 1st edition printing from the McGill University library.)

Another classic to recommend is, "The Four Feathers", by A.E.W. Mason.(y)