Connery and Indy IV

thefro

http://news.scotsman.com/entertainment.cfm?id=106882007

Article in the Scotsman this morning. Apparently they're already working hard on getting Connery aboard, and he'll do it if he likes the script.

The actor says he will read the script for the fourth Indiana Jones movie and, if he likes what he sees, will appear once more as Indiana's father, Dr Henry Jones.

The new Indiana Jones film is due to shoot this summer, and after being approached by Lucas, Connery admits he is seriously considering it.

Asked directly if he thought he would be back in front of the cameras this summer as Dr Jones, he answered: "Perhaps."

Choosing his words carefully, Connery then added: "At the moment there's nothing decided. I haven't got the script. Everything depends on the script."

Teke

I don´t know if it is a good decision to put Connery´s character in the new movie.

We all know that the Indy age in the movie will be the Ford´s real age, and Sir Sean is older than him!. I don´t want a pure dialogue film, I want an action/adventure movie.

I think its unnecesary to put Henry in Indy 4. He was FANTASTIC in Last Crusade, in fact, LC is my favourite Indiana Jones movie, but I don´t know... Maybe a cameo would be OK. Not more, not less.

Finn

Staff member
Teke said:
We all know that the Indy age in the movie will be the Ford´s real age, and Sir Sean is older than him!. I don´t want a pure dialogue film, I want an action/adventure movie.
The age difference between Sir Sean and Ford in real life is only 12 years. However, I can see that you mean the age difference between their characters, which is at least 20 years, most likely even more.

I'm having enough faith in them that they won't be having Henry there (who is at least eighty, even knocking ninety) as Indy's sidekick a la LC.

DarthLowBudget

Probably won't be there as a sidekick, but maybe as he'll have an extended cameo of sorts.

Possibly do what Marcus did in Raiders. You never know.

Joe Brody

This is no surprise . . . it's been my suspicion that Connery's recent much publicized 'retirement' announcement was done in part to help add to the Indy 4 buzz. I can see the Entertainment Tonight interviews with him saying Indy IV was just too good to pass up and he had such a good time on LC, blah, blah, blah. . ..

I think the consensus is that his screentime will shrink in Indy IV -- but I think he's still good value add.

And what the heck is The Scotsman, anyway? Sounds like a rag that Mike Meyers would serve on as the Managing Editor.

Last edited:

surfengine

I can only hope that he doesnt like the script.
But as the poster above mentioned, it is probably a lock.

I just don't see any purpose to put him in the movie. Unless he is on his death bed and gives Indy a final quest.

In TLC it was kinda nice to see another side of Indiana by way of his father.
It was neat to think that Indiana was son to this bumbling intellectual.

We have been introduced to his father and seen Indy in his youth. Now we have enough character development in place that we dont need Connery anymore.

San Holo

DarthLowBudget said:
Probably won't be there as a sidekick, but maybe as he'll have an extended cameo of sorts.

Possibly do what Marcus did in Raiders. You never know.
I think you are right. This movie will be that much better with a little Connery thrown in the mix.

Johnny Nys

I don't know anything about the movie business, but isn't it odd that they would write a character into the script when the actor portraying that character hasn't even decided yet whether he'll play the role or not? If he refuses, won't they have to write that character OUT of the script? The fact that this hasn't been adressed yet makes me think the Jones Sr. part isn't a big part at all, certainly not important to the plot. All this assuming they won't have any other actor playing the role, of course.

Finn

Staff member
Johnny Nys said:
I don't know anything about the movie business, but isn't it odd that they would write a character into the script when the actor portraying that character hasn't even decided yet whether he'll play the role or not?
They do that all the time. And if it happens so that they can't get who they want, they simply rewrite that part for another (new) character, cut it out completely if it's not vital for the story or share snippets of this character's actions to other chars in the script.

Pale Horse

Staff member
surfengine said:
I just don't see any purpose to put him in the movie. Unless he is on his death bed and gives Indy a final quest.

*cough, Garden of Eden, cough. Tree of Life, cough.

Doc Savage

Pale Horse said:
*cough, Garden of Eden, cough. Tree of Life, cough.
I give you full credit for tenacity, Thanatos. It's only been, what, four years now?

Now that Henry, Sr., has been introduced, I think he's an essential part of the mix. Especially considering there will be no Marcu Brody. I only hope Sallah will be given treatment as vital...

quigonkyle

I believe connery's role will not be a big one and will be similar to that of Brody in Raiders. I doubt connery would go out on the adventure itself.

torao

Moderator Emeritus
I agree with all of you folks, who expect a rather peripheral appearance of Connery.

Another thought of course is that he appears in the beginning when Indy visits his dad who's about to die or something...

The fact that Lucas sounded rather unsure about Connery's involvement means a) he lied -bohooo- or b) Connery's role is in fact peripheral and it doesn't matter that much if he's in or out.

But what is left of a role if it doesn't have any meaning? Or is his part -it's meaning- compensable by editing...story structure...other plot tricks?

Ste2652

Wow, 2007 has been a good year for Indy fans... and we're not even a month in yet :D

I wouldn't mind Connery coming back - as has been previously mentioned - for a role similar to Denholm Elliot's in Raiders. Though I agree it wouldn't work if his role was similar in scale as it was in The Last Crusade.

This is probably going to be the final Indy movie ever, and so I wouldn't mind seeing the characters (Sallah, possibly Marion and/or Willie) we've become so fond of over the past quarter of a century coming back for one final bow... provided it's tastefully done, of course.

Joe Brody

Doc Savage said:
I only hope Sallah will be given treatment as vital...

Indeed. Though not as dedicated as some members ~cough~Palehorse~cough~ in advancing their pet causes, I at times over the years have argued that Sallah should play a bad guy in Indy IV.

Why Sallah? He has the necessary gravity to play the role and the audience knows him. One problem with developing a compelling bad guy -- is having to give enough screentime to the villian to get the audience to understand the character. With Sallah, you can save screentime because the audience knows him so well. All you have to do is explain what turned him bad.

This economy in developing one of the villians will be necessary if screen time has to be devoted to both Henry Senior and, as rumored, the other leading ladies. Throw in a new love interest, and the writer has a real challenge in quickly developing an interesting bad guy. Plus Rhys Davies is made to order to clean up in a bad guy role.