Searching for Pirate Treasue in Honduras

Jackson

The following is a true adventure of mine. I have been attempting to follow in the footsteps of Indiana Jones my whole life. There is so much more i could share with you. Hope you Enjoy

Jackson

The next day as we made our way out of the hotel and towards Oakridge in the cab of a crazy Honduran who drove a hundred miles an hour down the windy roads of Roatan. He was driving faster then all the other cars on the road and as he passed by the other cars in a cloud of dust he cursed at how slow all the other drivers on the road were. and all he talked about in broken English was how the earthquake scared the hell out of him last night and how that was nothing compared to the one he was in back in Nicaragua back in the 1980s.This trip was already starting out with that special brand of chaos, which is the lifeblood of adventure.

When we finally arrived a the Reef House, David was there and greeted us with a loud,Well look who is back in town!It's the hosers!When I first met him, I knew that deep down inside he was a treasure hunter at heart. He lived on Roatan most of his life and he knew that there was treasure out there somewhere just waiting to be found. David had never searched for it because he was always too busy running the Reef House.When you first meet him, he is so in your face that its kind of a shock.He has no problem speaking his mind or trying to pack as much vulgar language into a single sentence as possible.David does not care what anyone thinks of him,He also knows everyone and everything about the island of Roatan, so you couldn't ask for a better guide.

The warm water was splashing up onto my face as we cruised into the old Port Royal in search of treasure.The thoughts I had inside as we got closer to the small key were of Mitchell Hedges daughter telling me about the treasure that was still buried there.It was one of complete wonder that finally my childhood dream is about to come true.As the salt water dripped down my face and into my mouth, the taste brought back such a wonderful feeling of adventure that I wanted the moment to last forever before we touched down on the beach of the small key.

The key was littered with garbage.There were pop cans, metal wire, a beat up fridge, old buckets and buoys.You name it and it was there, washed up on the key.The first thing that came into my mind was that metal detecting was going to be very difficult.I didn't want to share that information with the other two treasure hunters who had come on this adventure.Their morale about this whole idea of searching for treasure was already low enough.

David was the first to let out his ccynicism at the reality of what we were trying to do. "Man!We are not going to find a dam thing!" he said as he looked around the key.

Don't worry, this metal detector has discrimination.I said with fear in my voice as I really wanted to find something

I quickly started scanning the beach of the key as soon as we got to shore.I searched for several minutes with no hits.As I moved closer to shore we got our first strong hit, but as Shawn started digging we hit the remains of a rotted old tin can.I saw in his eyes that he was looking doubtful.I searched for almost a half an hour and found nothing, but more junk.I threw the metal detector down in frustration.Shawn walked over and picked it up and started searching.He dug one hole and found nothing, then he dug a second and found nothing.Slowly he made his way down to beach where we had landed the boat.

The metal detector let out one more of its irritating screeches and Shawn started digging and within moments he pulled a very old rusted piece of chain out of the sand.At first I thought nothing of it as he held the chain in his hands.It looked like another piece of rusted metal, and then it hit me.

I remember in the Mitchell Hedges story that when he found the first three chests they were wrapped in chains.He had to cut the chains to open the chest just before loading the chests onto his boat. We landed near the area where Hedges was because it was the only open in the mangrove to enter the key.The metal chain had to have been once wrapped around an old pirate chest. I quickly shared my news with my partners and everyone's spirit seemed to go up a little.

If the theory is true, here is a piece in our hands that was a link to the treasure!It brought the hopes of a successful conclusion to our quest closer to reality.Iâ??ve always found treasure hunting to be a struggle with reality because for me it has always had a parallel with religion.If you don't believe in the treasure, then it will not exist for you.You will never search and never experience the divine as you pull ancient gold out from underneath the sand.For gold is the god that we all search for, even the church has a collection box.

We continued our search for another hour or so when David started staring at the black clouds that were forming in the sky overhead."Ah man, there is going be a storm man. , we have to head back, so hurry up and find the dam treasure.Hey!You forgot to check the fridge he said running over and checking inside the old fridge that was resting on the East Side of the key.I tried to ignore David 's rant, but Shawn was laughing hysterically.As I swung the metal detector back and forth across the sandy key I could feel any hope of finding a treasure chest filled with gold doubloons slowly slipping away.

The detector then made one louder screech that sounded different than all the other screeches it had made that day.This one sounded more successful, so I started digging when out of the sand I pulled a small silver statue of a carving of a naked woman.This sent a shiver up my spine.Come and have a look at this one boys! I yelled.Shawn and David came running over to where I was digging.They glared over my shoulders at the curious object I had unearthed which I had come to the conclusion was the handle of a dagger belonging to a pirate.Shawn and David looked at the object in question and quickly agreed that, yes indeed I had found an object, which once belonged to a pirate.

The treasure must be close, so we all assumed searching the key.Within five minutes the detector rang off again and this time we all started digging and almost at once we started finding large pieces of broken metal.We cleared away several pieces of the metal and came across what looked like the top of a treasure chest buried in the sand. My heart was in my throat and my palms where sweating as the three of us tried to pull it out from the sand.We dug around it in a moment of excitement that I will never forget.No one said anything because none of us ccould really believe what we were seeing as we tore the chest out.

Shawn smashed at the lid with the shovel, which broke into pieces of shattered metal.We all looked inside and it wass ccompletely filled with muddy water.I reached inside the chest expecting to pull gold and jewels from the muddy water.For a second I felt something, but when I pulled my hands out of the water and there was nothing but mud."There has to be something inside! Shawn said reaching into the chest.When he pulled his hands out he also found nothing but mud.

To be contuined....

Thanks
Jackson:whip:

Montana Smith

WillKill4Food said:
Write some Nazis or zombies or terrorists into the next half of your story.

:D

It sounds more like one of Old Indy's tall stories, like the time he rode the refrigerator away from the atom bomb!

And if Mitchell Hedges' daughter had anything to do with it, then you know you're on a wild goose chase!