Indiana Jones 5: July 19, 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndyLGR

I think the criticism of Williams work is harsh, its not bad music at all. Its a relative snap judgement as we are judging these new soundtracks, especially in the case of TFA, against a body of work that we've had 30+ years of listening to on hundreds of repeat viewings of films and soundtrack cds. That music is iconic and has seeped in to our minds over such a long time.

DARTH ZOIDBERG said:
I think the best way to make Indy 5 Is to make It a Big Homage to the First 3 Indy movies Like TFA was an Homage to the Star Wars OT ...
I think this is exactly what they will do.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
I don't feel like I have the slightest idea what Spielberg thinks the fans want, honestly, other than it probably not being Temple of Doom, and bearing some resemblance to Kingdom of the Crystal Skull without aliens, without Doomtown and maybe without Mutt.

I hope I'm wrong.

Finn

Staff member
Judging by the ongoings of this forum, the fans are not an uniform group who all want the same thing.

Maybe Mr. Spielberg shouldn't think too much (if at all) about what the "fans" want... but rather just look to make as good a movie as possible. In fact, trying to do the former may often be a detriment to the latter.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Finn said:
Judging by the ongoings of this forum, the fans are not an uniform group who all want the same thing.

Maybe Mr. Spielberg shouldn't think too much (if at all) about what the "fans" want... but rather just look to make as good a movie as possible. In fact, trying to do the former may often be a detriment to the latter.

From your lips to the remaining Beard's ears.

Z dweller

Finn said:
Judging by what happens here at the Raven, we are divided in three camps.

FORD FUNDAMENTALISTS, who believe that nobody else should wear the fedora on the big screen and are happy so see Indy grow old with Ford, with all that it entails.

"BACK TO THE ROOTS" FANS, who would rather watch Indy in his prime back in the 1920s and 30s, played by a younger actor.

"ANYTHING GOES" FANS, who are just happy to watch more Indy movies and will enthusiastically approve pretty much whatever Spielberg puts on the screen.

Right now, it looks like Spielberg and Koepp will cold shoulder the second camp (to which I belong) and just continue on the vein of KOTCS, which is why I downgraded my expectations big time since the announcement.

I still hold some hopes that they set part of the next movie in the 1920s and 30s, showing a younger actor in flashback scenes, by they are dwindling by the day.

In all likelihood, "back to the roots" fans are going to have to wait for Indy 6 and subsequent movies to finally get their way.

IndyForever

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/features/steven-spielberg-dreamworks-past-amblins-902544

Harrison survives Indy 5 says Spielberg its the only detail he let slip!

........and then he'll direct the fifth Indiana Jones movie for Disney. Spielberg says he's "super excited" about that movie, dated for July 2019: "I think this one is straight down the pike for the fans." He won't reveal plot details, except this: "The one thing I will tell you is I'm not killing off Harrison [Ford] at the end of it."

Silvor

Wilhelm (the first poster of this news) said:
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/features/steven-spielberg-dreamworks-past-amblins-902544

"He'll direct the fifth Indiana Jones movie for Disney. Spielberg says he's "super excited" about that movie, dated for July 2019: "I think this one is straight down the pike for the fans." He won't reveal plot details, except this: "The one thing I will tell you is I'm not killing off Harrison [Ford] at the end of it."
Did somebody forget to tell Spielberg he's not supposed to be excited about the movie? :p
Joke aside, interesting that he's not killing off Indy.
It's not like I want him to die, but if he did pass away at the end it would give the story a very emotional end. Hopefully they can still pull that off doing something different.

Last edited by a moderator:

IndyForever

Silvor said:
Did somebody forget to tell Spielberg he's not supposed to be excited about the movie? :p
Joke aside, interesting that he's not killing off Indy.
It's not like I want him to die, but if he did pass away at the end it would give the story a very emotional end. Hopefully they can still pull that off doing something different.
Indy having an optimistic ending is the best news yet along with John Williams scoring! I still hold out some slim hope the story chosen will allow for an Indy 5 -6 to be shot back to back as Spielberg shoots fast.

Silvor

IndyForever said:
Indy having an optimistic ending is the best news yet along with John Williams scoring! I still hold out some slim hope the story chosen will allow for an Indy 5 -6 to be shot back to back as Spielberg shoots fast.
Oh make no mistake, that would be awesome if they'd do that. But seeing as Indy 5 took this long to get off the ground I'm not too optimistic on that happening, even though again, it would be great if it did.

IndyForever

Silvor said:
Oh make no mistake, that would be awesome if they'd do that. But seeing as Indy 5 took this long to get off the ground I'm not too optimistic on that happening, even though again, it would be great if it did.
Spielberg being giddy as a schoolboy over this is enough to retain some hope its going to be more of a Last Crusade style adventure ;)

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
I'm Raiders-ist for sure. What annoyed me about Vanity Fair's online article was a line about Harrison Ford being the only Indy ever. Its not a quote from Spielberg, it's a sentence in the article- Vanity Fair that isn't a thing, that's speculation unless Spielberg specifically said it. It sounds like a mistake in paraphrasing as it's probably referring to the confirmation that Ford will be the only actor playing Indy in V.

And to Stoo, with his little girls comment - explain me! :p

Finn

Staff member
I'm in no camp, but I admit that my desire to see a good film brings me quite close to the Raiderists, simply because I just happen to believe it'd be the most probable means to achieve that goal.

I'm not saying they can't make a good film with no one but Harry in for the last hurrah, but it's going to require that they get a ton of conscious design choices - both major and minor - exactly right... and a little luck on top of that. It is possible for example to de-age Mr. Ford with a bit of Hollywood magic to play a character roughly 15-20 years younger than his actual age, but they need to do it in a way that doesn't look obviously fake or even more obviously like they're doing their darnest to hide something. (And the latter won't be easy, given that if people know there are seams, they'll be deliberately looking for them - no matter how well they're concealed.)

And if the plan is to have some younger heroes take the spotlight in the action scenes and relegate Indy to a supporting character, that's another obvious no-no. A huge one. Nothing wrong with it when we're talking about Star Wars, but here the title of the film alone is going to tell us who should be the key character.

Come 2019, I'd so much prefer us all being here celebrating a solid entry to the series, instead of living in an environment where Raiderists heavily lambast the Crusadeists for not realizing what it was they wanted.

A fair word of warning though... if the latter comes to pass, I won't be doing anything to curb it. Rather might even take a little part in it myself.

Raiders90

I think Lucas not being present, at least in any controlling/Exec Producer type way, is a big weight off of Spielberg's shoulders. I mean, we could've had Indy 4 as early as 2002 or so if it wasn't for Lucas...Not that I hate the guy or anything but I think Spielberg is a LOT more in touch with what fans want/expect/desire out of Indy than Lucas...And Spielberg I'm sure realizes exactly what the fans didn't like in KOTCS. Spielberg had his own ideas for a MacGuffin which were shot down by Lucas, probably ideas we would've been more on board with than the Skull...I think this film will be a great last ride for Ford's Indy and for Ford himself, and for Spielberg, it will be what Crusade was: A heartfelt, moving apology for the previous film, same as Crusade was for Temple.

Status
Not open for further replies.