To Read or Not To Read, and in what order?

DarthWilliams

Hi all -

Brand new to the forums, recently rekindled my love for all things Indy. One thing I never ventured into, though, is the novels. I thought you'd all have a sense of which ones are worth my time and which ones are not. And should I read them in the order they were released, or is there a better chronology to follow?

Thanks!

whipwarrior

Reading the novels in order of publication is necessary for continuity, however you may safely skip the Martin Caidin books for maximum enjoyment and not miss anything, since they are not referenced in the later Max McCoy series.

Indyfan82

Why not just read them all in order of publication? (Of course, that's not necessarily in chronological order. You may find it enjoyable to refer to the Indy timeline on the site here and go by that. http://www.theraider.net/information/timeline/index.php)
I think I just read them in order of whenever I happened to get one of the Indy books. But at least for the Rob MacGregor novels and the Max McCoy novels, it would be helpful to read them in order of publication. (As they refer back to events in previous novels at times.)
Come to think of it, I'd probably say the same for the Martin Caidin novels (though it's not as big of a concern there.)
And Steve Perry's novel- it's worth a read as a completist. It does have some cool moments- but I would say it's easily my least favorite (and that's coming from someone who generally likes most everything Indy and is not good at picking favorites for most anything!;) )
(And for the record, I actually like Martin Caidin's novels pretty well- I don't think they're as bad as some make them out to be.) If I had to pick a favorite, it'd probably be Rob MacGregor's books- but Max McCoy has some great ones too.
They're all good in different ways- read them all and make your own judgments.:) :cool: :whip: