River Phoenix vs. Sean Patrick Flannery

thefumegator

Which one would you rather see as THEE young Indy?

I, for one, really like River Phoenix's acting. Very Indy-esque.

Well, whaddaya think?

Wes

Indy Smith

It's hard to say...

I find that a hard question. River Pheonix's short performance of Indy was great, but we had a whole series for young Indy with SPF and well I quite liked him. So I'm going to sit on the fence on that question.

J

Jock

I think Rivers was very similar to Harrison Ford (he was his son in "The Mosquito Coast"). Sean is a good transition between both of them. But River gots an aspect that Sean did little in the series. He gots the brand, the character of Harrison´s Indy, his arrogance and roguish. The play of Sean (well the truth is thath it depends of the chapter of young Indy in wich we see him), in general, is more vulnerable. So my favorites young Indy chapters are "Espionage escapades" and "The phantom train", because i think in those his play is more similar to Indy´s films.
But finally i prefer River Phoenix.

Pridebowler

They both have their good points I think.

As has been stated, we don't have much to judge River by, but he was fantastic in TLC.

Fedora Man

I also think that River was better than SPF. As you pointed out earlier River plays Indy more similiar to Harrison than Sean.

What if River would have played Indy in the Young Indy Chronicles instead?
Do you think that Lucas asked River if he wanted to play the part, but that he didn´t want to be in a TV-series, so that they asked SPF instead.

Aaron H

Moderator Emeritus
It was in River's contract to do the YIJC...but unfortunately he OD'ed on Halloween 1990 (or '91 I can't remember exactly what year). So they tried to find someone who at least vaguely looked like River.

N

nikita

Sean Patrick Flannery is a better fit

I always thought River Phoenix was an awesome actor, but truly Sean plays the role of young Indy much better. Flannery has the same charm and charisma that Harrison Ford has, and that same half smile. River seemed to have played the character too serious. If River had starred in the tv series he wouldn't have brought humor to the character like Flannery did. Phoenix, in a way, is too depressing to watch in playing young Indy. Flannery brought the right amount of humor and intrigue to the role. I think everyone is highly under estimating him. Like I said, Phoenix is a cool actor, but Sean Patrick Flannery is better as young Indy.

A

AJ

Flannery vs Pheonix

This is only my opinion (obviously), but it seems fruitless to compare the one effort Pheonix had at the part, to Flannery's entire series, which like someone else said before this, explored so many more aspects of the young indy character. Pheonix never got the chance to show the humourous, young and often naive side of indy. Lets not forget SPF, as was Pheonix, was being directed by Lucas, who obviously wanted the character to develop in a certain way. Towards the end, we saw some great action come out of him with so much more maturity shown through the character. He came a long way from beginning to end. I think Sean Patrick Flannery did a fantastic job right off the bat in what must have been an overwhelming task when he started. By the series end, he really showed us what an accomplished actor he is. Not to detract from his skills, but not to mention how much of enjoyment he was to watch through the series - make 12 more I say! ;-)

Zharah

Yeah...sure. Raff just wants to be the friggin' welcoming commitee...;) J/K Welcome Aboard, AJ!

A

AJ

Hi guys! thanks for the welcome, so great to jump in! This site is fantastic in both design and content, looking forward to dropping in! AJ

Raffey

If you ever get the chance try the bashes don't worry about the writer's speak. Just chat. It's alway nice to get to know another Indy fan!!! :D