The Holy Grail of my Indy collection (pun intended). Input invited...

UIMJ

So I landed an important piece that I haven’t even seen since I was a kid. I’m really happy to have found one in the shape that this thing is in. I’m not necessarily showing it off as much as showing some detailed pix for any thoughts you guys might have. My Indiana Jones stuff pales in comparison to my Iron Man collection, so to those of you with huge IJ stuff, this might not be a big deal.

Any thoughts on how to store this thing? The box is very tall and I’m not sure if I could even find an acrylic case for it of some kind. Please see my notes with each image for a detailed description of the fig’s condition.

The box front is in very good shape and the door swings tightly and without any wear on the hinged part of the cardboard.
IJBF.jpg

The window is clear and tight without any real fogging at all.
IJBI.jpg

The back of the box is also in great shape and like the front still has a lot of gloss. Man, the memories of seeing this are nuts. I actually remember this box as a little kid with the toy.
IJBB.jpg

The top of the box. It’s obviously the only let down regarding the packaging. Actually it looks worse than it is because the cardboard ends are bent upright. If the box top wasn’t tweaked like this, this whole thing would be an AFA candidate. However, check out the details regarding the figure inside on the next pic.
IJBT.jpg

The condition of this toy is remarkable. I’m going to go so far as to say that it’s possible that it might never have been removed from the ties that are holding it. I haven’t taken it out of the backerboard (and don’t plan to), but I lifted the arms as a test, and they are so tight that I don’t know if they’ve ever been lifted before. A quick examination of the clothing shows no flaws or frays and tight stitches all the way across. Although the box looks like the top took a beating somewhere, it looks like this fig was never touched. If it was displayed, it wasn’t moved much at all. I hate to say it, but even though the box is overall in acceptable shape, I have half a mind to just AFA the figure without the box. All of the accessories are present too (felt hat, whip, gun and holster).
Figure.jpg

Note the back of the box. Not only are the ties present, but so is the factory parent warning and the label is bright white.
InteriorBack.jpg

Aside from any input you guys have here are some questions.

1) Thoughts on storing this thing inside the box? Acrylic case? Where should I get one?
2) Was the gun originally packaged in the holster? That’s where it is on this fig... If not, I guess that’s a telltale sign that someone has at least removed it from the ties.

IJ_KELLER

Nice find! I've never seen a acrylic case that size either. I would try finding a glass display case around that size. Maby somewhere like Hobby Lobby.

DetectiveFork

That's an awesome find and not something I've seen before. Is the head the same mold as th Han Solo 12" figure from the 80s? It looks like it might even be Han's jacket done in brown.

"Bellosh"

Great pics...so cool for yuo...thanks for sharing them...store it any way you want but be sure to enjoy it!:gun:

The Golden Idol

DetectiveFork said:
That's an awesome find and not something I've seen before. Is the head the same mold as th Han Solo 12" figure from the 80s? It looks like it might even be Han's jacket done in brown.

It is the same mold as the Han Solo figure, but the jacket is all-new.

UIMJ

Shortie said:
That is one crappy hat. Kenner couldn't of made a plastic one?

LOL, yeah...
Im' surprised that many of you haven't seen this before! It's more or less one of the scarcer vintage Indy items (complete and in good shape that is) from the original Raiders era. Here's a small blurb about it. Whether or not I agree with the last sentence is up in the air.

The 12-inch figure was a redressed and repainted version of the 12-inch Star Wars Han Solo doll, since actor Harrison Ford portrayed both characters. The 12-inch figure used to be the most coveted piece in the entire line, but in recent years, the value has subsided tremendously, since newer and better-looking 1:6 scale versions of Indiana Jones have been produced.

My opinion on this:
The fact is that when the serious collector's are done with the newly marketed stuff, they almost always turn back to vintage stuff which is inherently collectible because they stem from an era when almost no one kept anything mint because it was actually played with. Therefore the population of the vintage stuff is significantly lower than the population of newer stuff will ever be.

wow that's a great figure not in the way its made but because its vintage. the hat is kinda strange but I guess that's how they did it back then:p

UIMJ

oliverjones18 said:
wow that's a great figure not in the way its made but because its vintage. the hat is kinda strange but I guess that's how they did it back then:p

That's how I feel too! It really rings of authentic... something with inherent value because it wasn't made with collector's in mind! No one bought these bad boys back in the day really thinking that it would be worth anything, and in turn those items become very scarce and more collectible!

Man, is that hat goofy but great!

Michael24

Wow, talk about a flashback! I used to have this very same figure when I was little. I took with me everywhere! Kind of upsetting to look at it nowadays and see how cheap-looking it is, though, especially that hat. :(

UIMJ

doesitmatter said:
Nice find! Better condition than mine:

Indy.jpg

Of course I got mine in 1982.

He must have been digging up the ark, what with all of that sunburn on his head.... ;)

indyclone25

i bought mine back in 82 and i hated my hat that came with it i cut the top of the hat and sewed it a bit shorter it look a bit better i will put a pic of it up
wizardworld2008.jpg

Last edited: