What is your single LEAST favourite scene from the trilogy?

MattJones

Kingsley said:
You maybe are missing great moments because of the jokes... and the jokes, much of them where very good!
I really enjoy Last Crusade, i can't find many weak moments, the action and scenes flow so well!
TOD has great scenes, but many lows in my opinion.

I agree completely... I'm rewatching the trilogy right now (starting with Temple of Doom), and I am warming up to Temple of Doom. Except the Plane Jump. Still cannot stand watching that scene.

agentsands77

LAST CRUSADE, for me, is the weakest film. Lackluster action sequences, too much slapstick humor that undermines the appeal of its hero, the loss of the "adventure serial" feel, and lazy camerawork all make it a rather uninspired outing.

It's not a total wash, but it's far from great.

AHegele

an aspect i love about the last crusade is that it doesn't pulls out a bunch of lavishing tricks because it has a genuinely rich relationship story between a father and son, and the razzle dazzle that engulfed ToD would simply get in the way of superb development/acting.

I love every scene in Raiders and The Last Crusade

if i had to choose, i'd say the rafting scene in temple.

Niteshade007

I didn't find it homoerotic, but I thought it was odd that they were like "Hey, we've been kidnapped by Nazis. I know! Let's do our secret handshake! Brilliant!"

oki9Sedo

Niteshade007 said:
I didn't find it homoerotic, but I thought it was odd that they were like "Hey, we've been kidnapped by Nazis. I know! Let's do our secret handshake! Brilliant!"

Well the joke is that they're like a pair of nerdy schoolboys.

Niteshade007

Still, my reaction to seeing my friend also being captured by the Nazis wouldn't be "Yay, I have a friend now." It would be more of a sadness that they've managed to get someone close to me as well.

Just being nitpicky.

oki9Sedo

Attila the Professor said:
Yeah, but they weren't captured yet. They were about to escape. And, presumably, it's been some time since they've seen each other.

Thats it. They're both so passionate about books that they're like a pair of giddy schoolboys. Even though Henry is there to rescue Marcus, he can't help but be delighted to see him again.

Tennessee Smith

oki9Sedo said:
Oxford scholar injokes are homo-erotic?

Maybe it's his fear of pens and their phallic representation? The last thing I thought of that scene was anything homo-erotic...

Either way, that scene is just another example of why I think Crusade was to slapstick.

Ska

Using the raft to escape the crashing plane in TOD...

I know Mythbusters proved that it could happen, but that doesn't make me like the scene any more.

agentsands77

AHegele said:
an aspect i love about the last crusade is that it doesn't pulls out a bunch of lavishing tricks because it has a genuinely rich relationship story between a father and son, and the razzle dazzle that engulfed ToD would simply get in the way of superb development/acting.
If the relationship between father/son was more than some back and forth jokes poking fun at both characters, than I wouldn't mind. But frankly, I didn't see much that was rich about their story in LAST CRUSADE.

Salacious

Henry Jones Sr. sitting on the chair in the castle and Indy falling down the stairs yelling...."Daaaaaaaaad". Ugh. :sick:

And the tank fight between Vogel and Indy in the LC. :sick: Pathetic.

LC has some pretty bad moments if you watch it again. Waaay to slapstick for my taste. Seems more like a Charlie Chaplin movie if you ask me.

oki9Sedo

Salacious said:

Aside from one moment of awkward editing (Indy elbowing Marcus as he retracts his arm and punches Vogel), I thought it was a really good fight.

Especially the beatdown at the end....that was really satisfying stuff. Indy's been taken quite a beating from Vogel, but only because he was always distratced or compromised in some way. Now that his dad is safe, he can give him his total, undivided attention. That growl when he twists his arm behind his back and then proceeds to sytematically slam his head against the metal, not fast, but slow and brutal so that he can savour each one....that was great stuff.

Matthew

Yea I suppose mine is the raft to snow drop. It'd look fine/completely different if they jumped from a flying position much closer to the mountain and jumping with the raft and catching the mountain slope on steep angle. It's catch-22ish though becase ToD was the first I saw and that part was one of the first big things I saw the character do but hey.

What's up w/ the German looking at Indy through the parascope during the tank fight, big smile, now that's homo erotic, then he turns around and says whatever he says. That used to be my least favorite, maybe it still is, it's def. funny but an out of place gay joke.

Dr. Gonzo

I dont know if its been said, but my least favorite moment in the whole trilogy is when marion is being attacked or grabbed or whatever you want to call it by the skelletons in the well of souls. It was so cheesy and ever time I see it I shake my fist in disapproval

No Ticket

Dr. Gonzo said:
I dont know if its been said, but my least favorite moment in the whole trilogy is when marion is being attacked or grabbed or whatever you want to call it by the skelletons in the well of souls. It was so cheesy and ever time I see it I shake my fist in disapproval

I'm gonna have to agree, that's probably the scene I don't like the most too... I just tend to not think or worry about it. When I was a kid, at age 4 or 5... I NEVER understood why the dead bodies scream.

There's screaming besides Marions. Is that supposed to be in her head or something? I just don't get it. Even as a little kid I recognized that didn't make sense.

AHegele

Salacious said:
Henry Jones Sr. sitting on the chair in the castle and Indy falling down the stairs yelling...."Daaaaaaaaad". Ugh. :sick:

LC has some pretty bad moments if you watch it again. Waaay to slapstick for my taste. Seems more like a Charlie Chaplin movie if you ask me.

I actually think Last Crusade is much more mature than Temple. There are some incredibly goofy scenarios in Temple (the bat/drying moment, the mine car chase, fortune and glory).