Iron Man

sunshinestate1992

Joe Brody said:
I took the wife to see Iron Man tonight -- and sure enough I hear a group of guys railing against the Samuel L. Jackson casting pic. I think Marvel and Favreau made a mistake here.

I also think Favreau missed a real opportunity. Go back and watch the film. It turns out he and Marvel had the right guy to play Fury all along. Jeff Bridges as Obadiah Stane was a worthy bad guy -- but I submit he would have been a better Fury. Bridges is a big guy. He's weathered, talented -- and most important he has great comedic timing and ability. Cut Bridges hair short and give him some dark Five o'clock shadow and he's Fury. Heck, there's even a scene in Iron Man where's he's smoking a Stogey (sp?). Major, major missed opportunity.
The ultimates (which are the new avengers) uses samuel jacksons likness for nick fury.
Image:UltimateNickFury.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:UltimateNickFury.jpg

Shortie

Joe Brody said:
"Where the white women at?"

Wasp. Most likely. Scarlett Witch? Maybe. Ms. Marvel? Most likely not -- but could be with the right cast.
. . . and you forgot Thor -- he'll be high maintenance comic relief for sure. And the Vision to be the token robot.
I think in the first movie they'll stick with pre-existing characters then in a sequel add the chicks. I can't believe I forgot Thor.

I heard he might be in IM 2 to promote his own movie which comes out the same year, 2010.

deckard24

Paden said:
I have to admit I was very entertained. A very enjoyable summer popcorn flick. Much as I enjoyed the various special effects and spectacle, I'd have to say that Downey's performance really makes the movie. His humor and delivery added dimension to what could have become another run-of-the-mill superhero origin story. It was a fun ride.
I just saw it today and this sums it up perfectly!
I didn't think I was going to like it, but boy was I surprised!

Michael24

Finally got a chance to see it today and thought it was just so-so. The pacing was okay but dragged a few times, the action sequences (what few there were) were nice but too short, and I liked the scenes of Stark working in his lab with Jarvis and the robotic assistants. But ultimately I thought it was--surprisingly--rather forgettable. :( Now I'm a little worried about The Incredible Hulk. Downey Jr. was great, though. (y)

And at least I got to see the KOTCS trailer on the big screen! :D

Shortie

I have fears for Hulk, since Lee's was craptacular. One of the worst Marvel films probably second only to Elektra.

Niteshade007

I saw the movie this weekend. I thought it was alright. It was a fun movie that didn't take itself too seriously. Downey Jr. was great, and I was surprised at how beautiful Gwenyth Paltrow was looking, although her acting left a little to be desired. I thought I was watching William Hurt throughout the movie (turns out it was Jeff Bridges. Are they the same person?)

And I was told to stay until the end of the credits, so I did. The only problem is that I have no idea who the hell Nick Fury was (aside from Samuel L. Jackson). So when the girls in front of me were squeeling with delight, I was looking at the screen extremely confused.

Might have helped if I read any comics...

MaxPhactor23

You know it’s pretty funny. I’ve been hearing an incredibly amount of praise all over the net…except here. This flick was almost universally considered the best Marvel Superhero film ever made, having little to no negative backlash, except here. I can’t help but wonder why. Summer blockbuster envy?

Personally I hope Dark Knight beats um all.

Eric Solo

I liked it. Robert Downey Jr. had a lot of great funny moments. The beginning dragged a bit, but overall great fun.

Joe Brody

MaxPhactor23 said:
You know it?s pretty funny. I?ve been hearing an incredibly amount of praise all over the net?except here. This flick was almost universally considered the best Marvel Superhero film ever made, having little to no negative backlash, except here. I can?t help but wonder why. Summer blockbuster envy?

Personally I hope Dark Knight beats um all.

Dark Knight -- and anything DC for that matter -- is subpar. I've been meaning to start a thread here comparing various story, casting and other elements between Dark Knight and Iron Man. On every level, I'd argue that the Marvel venture is superior to the DC -- just like in the comics.

MaxPhactor23

Joe Brody said:
Dark Knight -- and anything DC for that matter -- is subpar. I've been meaning to start a thread here comparing various story, casting and other elements between Dark Knight and Iron Man. On every level, I'd argue that the Marvel venture is superior to the DC -- just like in the comics.

I don’t really understand this mindset whatsoever. I find feeding the feud completely immature. DC and Marvel have both bit off each other more times then anyone can count. How can't you like one and not the other? One couldn’t exist without the other. Personally I’m a fan of both. I think Marvel has the more versatile characters, they have the more that I enjoy, but DC carries what I’d consider the overall best (Batman and Joker for starters). They have characters that are part of a modern mythology, they culturally span past anything Marvel's created. Without question they have the two most iconic superheroes and the two most iconic comic villains. You have to give them props, like or hate the characters themselves. If you think DC doesn’t have good stories…you’ve been exposed to few DC comics. Marvel has the empathy, DC has the mind. I’ve read Batman stories that are more intelligent then anything marvel has ever printed. Give some DC a chance.

Last edited:

kongisking

Joe Brody said:

Truth. Marvel makes DC look like a pathetic four-year-old's sloppy drawing with drool and poo for ink, and written by donkeys. Also, Marvel is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much more realistic! :hat: If it weren't for Bats or Supes, I would proclaim DC a total wash.

Plus, Marvel has more (and better!) movies...(y) (y) (y) (but Bats Begins and Supes Returns have certainly opened my eyes to DC's cinematic potential.)

Katarn07

I just got around to seeing it. I wish I hadn't heard all the great reviews. Don't get me wrong, I had a blast! But the 94% on Rotten Tomatoes had gotten my hopes up. It's definately one of Marvel's best to date, but seriously, a 94%? Robert Downey Jr, as everyone seems to agree, was the best part. But the action (what little there actually was) wasn't half bad either. I'd be interested in seeing a sequel with more Iron Man action and possibly Rhodes as his sidekick.

TheMutt92

Joe Brody said:
I took the wife to see Iron Man tonight -- and sure enough I hear a group of guys railing against the Samuel L. Jackson casting pic. I think Marvel and Favreau made a mistake here.

I also think Favreau missed a real opportunity. Go back and watch the film. It turns out he and Marvel had the right guy to play Fury all along. Jeff Bridges as Obadiah Stane was a worthy bad guy -- but I submit he would have been a better Fury. Bridges is a big guy. He's weathered, talented -- and most important he has great comedic timing and ability. Cut Bridges hair short and give him some dark Five o'clock shadow and he's Fury. Heck, there's even a scene in Iron Man where's he's smoking a Stogey (sp?). Major, major missed opportunity.

Sean Connery should've been Nick Fury. I'd REALLY pay to see that! (y)

agentsands77

Joe Brody said:
Nonsense. DC and MARVEL stand about on equal footing, and do such very different things as universes that it's hard to really compare them. Both have strengths and weaknesses, but they're different, and both have had their failings in comics and on screen.

And I'm curious as to how we can, in all honesty, measure THE DARK KNIGHT against IRON MAN, given that THE DARK KNIGHT hasn't even been released yet.

Turtle

Comparing the cast, The Dark Knight has just as much going for it, if not more, than Iron Man.

Christian Bale (prior to Batman, a highly respected underground actor)
Michael Caine (a living legend)
Morgan Freeman (see above)
Gary Oldman (A well respected actor, generally thought to be one of the best)

sandiegojones

Finally saw Iron Man yesterday. I thought it was pretty damn good. Every bit as good as Batman Begins, only more humorous. The effects are good too. ILM seems to be great at robot animation (with this and TF). Nice to see Marvel taking control over their films now that they own their own studio. Iron Man is a good way to start. Now they can rake control of their films without rushing them to meet release dates like X-Men 3 and Spider-Man 3 were. I can't wait for the Incredible Hulk either. I saw a trailer where Tony Stark has a little cameo.

Years ago when they made the other HULK I had hoped that they'd cast Ed Norton. Now they finally did and he actually wrote it too. I also liked that they started over with green guy. Captain America is in the works now too which hopefully will be as good. I think Marvel has the best overall characters, even if Batman is about the best there is in the comics world.

Stevens25

Iron Man was awesome,and I've never even been that much into the character. Robert Downey Jr. really had the charm and acting skills to becoming Tony Stark. I would rank Iron Man as one of the best comic book films ever.