Marcus and Salla personality changes

solidsnake1

Has anyone noticed that The characters of Marcus Brody and Salla act different in last crusade then raiders? Marcus in the first one was smart, the head of the college. In last crusade he is just a blumbering fool, same with Salla. Anyone agree with me on this?

indydude

yea, I was a bit dissapointed with the way Marcus acted in LC, in "Raiders" he is a cautious and smart guy, but in "LC" he is totally opposite, he is clumsy and reckless.

wolfgang

Actually, I see that only happens to Marcus and I see him in either movies, and to me is the same character. Now Sallah has the same loving nice personality in both movies in my opinion.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
What we have to remember is that Marcus acts just like he did in the original until he gets out of his element...he acts the same in Venice, and in other parts later, remember? The bumbling Marcus is only present when he's confused about what happens when they get to Venice, at Alexandretta, and during the tank sequence. In some cases, he is just played for completely acceptable humor, not as a buffoon...after all, isn't it entertaining to see a British gentleman scholar hitting a Nazi with a tank shell?

spohlso

Well Attila, I have to admit, I have trouble keeping a straight face anytime I see a British gentleman scholar hitting a Nazi over the head with a tank shell. Which can be quite embarrassing depending on the situation (Quite a faux pas at times.)

Still, I think Solidsnake has a point. Both Sallah and Brody come across more like charactictures of their ROTLA selves in LC. I call it 3P0 syndrome. If you watch Star Wars (or should I say Episode IV) C-3P0 IS comic releif, but it's almost understated. In each consecutive film he becomes more exagerated. (Not to mention more annoying.)

Saddly, I think Sallah and Brody became waaaay too broad in LC. It bordered on slapstick.

Indy Canuck

I would say an almost, not quite annoying. For a long time Raiders fanatic, it could almost be insulting, but when you take a braoder cinematic view, it seemed to work.

We zoom in on Indy telling how good Marcus is, how great his skills are. To lend Indy a sense of doom, the best way to do that is to flash to Marcus, lost in Iskenderun. But once you do that, you can never go back and make him never bumble again.

Sallah, to me, was quite similar in both films, but this time he was assigned to protect Marcus. It had to fall apart. Remember the scene in Raiders when he hugged Indy goodbye, and Indy supresses a yelp of pain? Or how about when they open the well of souls? A flash of lightning on the statue scares Sallah. And of course: "asps. Very dangerous. You go first."

Meh. Who's to say, what's done is done.

wolfgang

Look, guys, its sort of true Marcus personallity changes a bit (none in MY opinion), but he at least showed up. I mean, it worked! Last Crusade is my favorite indy movie. I like them all the same, but last crusade is my favorite, and now that you mention this, I think its my favorite because they show more of the characters. (or maybe its because of Elsa)J/K

solidsnake1

I agree. Even though I love all 3 movies. The last crusade is by far the most entertaining. Actually no, temple of doom is. I cant make up my mind!!!

bob

Well the demands of LC were different from Raiders, would the intelligant Marcus really have fitted into the comical plotlines of LC?