ToD

indymcfly714

I'm new to the message boards, and i've got a question. Temple of Doom is always said to be the worst of the Indy films, but i really like it. Why is it the dud?

wolfgang

Look, now, some wierd stuff has happened in here because of personal opinions. I LOVE temple of doom as well, but just keep it to yourself and don't buy that stuff a FEW people say. Just a friendly advice :D

indydude

I don't understand it either, ToD was a great Indy movie, although I like RotLA and LC better, ToD is still a fun and great Indy movie.

indyfan1202

indymcfly714 wrote:
I'm new to the message boards, and i've got a question. Temple of Doom is always said to be the worst of the Indy films, but i really like it. Why is it the dud?

This is just my opinion, but I think that most people disliked The Temple of Doom because of the sacraficing for Kali Ma. But, in general, I think it's a great movie.

solidsnake1

I agree. As with the all the indy movies. Temple of doom was excellent. It was thrilling, heart-stopping, funny and simply alot of fun, which is way more then what I can say about some of the pure crap that hollywood churns out today (Kangeroo jack, why!!! why!!!!)

Indy Smith

Kangaroo Jack loos stunning! I love the aussie accent :D

Hehe, but anyway, I like the ToD also. The mine cart chase and the fight in Club-Obi-Wan was memoerable. In fac it had quite a lot of memorable scenes in it such as the critters scene was just the grossest of all the critter scenes in the series, then there's the collapsing room with spikes and man! the meal with the snakes and monkey brains, hehe.

wolfgang

Actually, I prefer to see Kangaroo Jack than the worst hollywood release in film history: Jackass! what a bad, bad movie. Anyway indyfan might have a point about that sacrficing thing, but I didn't mind it at all.

indyfan1202

I really don't have anything against the sacrificing either, but it could bothersome people.

"Kali Ma, Kali Ma, Kali Ma shuck te dea!"

Indy Smith

I thought it was "Kali Ma! Chucky Day! I guess we'll see the subtitles for the movies when the DVD is released.

solidsnake1

I would hardly call Jackass the worst movie in history. It was made for fans of the show and to them ( and me) It was very funny and amusing. But it just shows how you cant please everyone. For example, besides all the indy movies, My fave movie is Fight Club, a movie with a deep message, but yet blasted by critics. The worst movie in hollywood history is a tie between Battlefield earth (horrible, horrible) and anything with Kevin Costner in it.

westford

Kevin Costner's had some good films - eg Field of Dreams - but Waterworld was pretty awful...

Personally I like ToD, and a lot of people on this board do, but I guess we're biased. It's like getting a die-hard Star Wars fan to admit that Episode II wasn't as good as The Matrix... :rolleyes:

Actually, no, I don't like ToD - I love ToD! I grew up with that film, so, like The Goonies for example, it'll always have special significance to me. Raiders was where it all began, and it was a great film, so that'll always be a classic. I reckon a lot of people like Crusade so much because it's got Sean Connery in it - fantastic casting, can you imagine anyone else in the role? So ToD was just stuck there in the middle, without the impact of Raiders and without the 'wow, James Bond is Indy's dad' factor or the comedy of Crusade...

Criticising a film because it's too 'dark' is pretty lame - life is 'dark', get over it! People complained about the guy get his heart ripped out, but how often do you get the opportunity to see something like that!? People should embrace these moments, not deride them! ;) :D

And Willie was my favourite Indy girl, so there! :p

solidsnake1

I agree with westford completely. Life is not always flowers and rainbows. Life is dark sometimes. If people think the movie is too dark, THEN DONT WATCH IT OR TURN IT OFF. These must be the same people who are against games like grand theft auto and such. If you dont like stuff like that, then dont buy them or play them, dont spoil it for the people that enjoy that type of thing. Or if you dont enjoy Howard Stern, then turn your radio off, dont ruin it for the people that like him. Liberal thinkers like that are gonna ruin this great county. OK im done ranting.

spohlso

I've never understood why people consider TOD to be dark. Oddly enough, it's only TOD defenders that ever make that reference. A little cartoon violence does not make a movie dark. 'Angel Heart' was dark. 'Johnny got his Gun' was dark. TOD was definitely not dark. The reason I could never stomach that one was that ROTLA was a cool movie (the greatest ever in my book) and TOD was a kiddie movie.

It was 'dark' like 'Goonies' was dark, like 'Gremlins' was dark. It was only a shade 'darker' than E.T.

No movie that contains the line, "Holey smoke! Cwash landing!" can be called 'dark.'

wolfgang

I agree with solidsnake. If you don't like it then just don't watch it, no one is forcing you, but don't go around criticizing it. by the way, Kevin Costner aint that bad! I mean, sure he did 13 days and some stuff like that but he still made a few good movie- robin hood prince of theves, dance with wolves...but then again thats my opinion

solidsnake1

Let me use matrix reloaded as an example. That movie was excellent. But some people wanted more action, or wanted less action. People complain too much story, or too little story. All this is not the movie's fault. It is peoples fault. They need to adjust their expectations. Some people may think temple of doom is too dark, but is that the movie's fault? of course not!