Kingdom of the Crystal Skull - initial impressions and casual discussion

tnswman

-Jones- said:
According to the novelization, there are two of them.

The back of the Figure package says three LOL!

so, Here is what I did with mine
009-3.jpg

008-5.jpg

007-5.jpg

005-5.jpg

-Jones-

Well, if counting the first one, who was hit with the shovel, there're three.

1. hit with the shovel
2. killed with poison dart
3. killed with Indy's gun

I don't know, we must wait for the premiere.

Manco

Just thought I'd pop my head in here - I'm not a die-hard fan like you guys, I loved Raiders, and I'm actually the equivalent of you guys only for Clint Eastwood movies. Just wanted to say this was fantastic, at least on par with Last Crusade - if you had fun with that one you'll love this one.
Just so you know an unbiased opinion of someone who isn't as hardcore as you guys. It has a couple silly moments but so do all of them. Overall it was very very well done, the plot was slightly confusing at times, but a thoroughly enjoyable Indy film - nothing wrong with it.

Jim Tigernuts

davejames said:
Exactly. I don't see how the CGI in this movie can be any worse than some of those zeppelin shots in Last Crusade. Now THAT was some truly bad bluescreen work.

Plus most scifi fans tend to be a lot more demanding and hard to please when it comes to CGI than normal people. Sure, even the very best CGI never looks 100% convincing (just like even the best stop-motion and model work of the past never did), but that doesn't necessarily make it bad or low quality work.

The zeppelin was CGI anyway if I recall?

Adamwankenobi

I love that
the film opens to the Elvis Presley song "Hounddog". I think it's cool that Lucas is finally getting to use Elvis music, since he couldn't afford the rights for his music for American Graffiti.
:)

ROTLA

gallandro said:
Ummm Spielberg directed the film... not Lucas. His choice... Spielberg never goes kiddie on us... cough, cough.... Lost World gymkata velociraptor take down... cough, cough... Hook... cough cough.... Lost Boys.... cough cough....

Yancy

What did Spielberg have to do with the Star Wars I, II or III? We got some kiddie moments in those...such as Binks farting. I think it takes away from the film. Just because Lucas is the director doesn't mean Lucas can't have kiddie moments already in the story.

TARZAN/MONKEY SCENE
My problem with this scene, in addition to it being a littler over the top, is that there was no groundwork set to allow it to happen. For example, the sword fight scene has a base because of Mutt revealing his fencing training earlier in the film. I don't ever recall him talking about living with monkeys or saving a girl named Jane! His ability to just pick up the swining techniques of the monkeys without any problem was just a little much. There had to be a different way for them to move Mutt from Point A to Point B.

Speck

When I was a kid in Kentucky, we'd swing off a cliff on three 60-ft high "vines" 1-2-3, and then into a lake for fun. It was very much like what Tarzan would have done, that's what we were sort-of mimicking. Anyway, though I haven't seen the film, or how this scene is depicted, Tarzan-esque vine swinging isn't that hard to do.

gallandro

ROTLA said:
What did Spielberg have to do with the Star Wars I, II or III? We got some kiddie moments in those...such as Binks farting. I think it takes away from the film. Just because Lucas is the director doesn't mean Lucas can't have kiddie moments already in the story.

The point... which you missed... is that Spielberg is equally capable of writing and directing "goofball" scenes, and attributing them solely to Lucas is plain silly.

Some more Spielberg over the top moments:

1) E.T.: The newly added E.T. hiding in the bathtub is incredibly silly.

2) The Color Purple: Mister (Albert) trying to run the house after Celie leaves, there's an entire slapstick cooking scene with Mister which borders on painful. Also Shug confronting her father at church... we go from drama to big musical production number.

3) Jurassic Park: Tim is trying to climb down an electrified fence... fence turns on Timmy goes flying. Then the goofy part... he's fine, just a little dazed and his hair is mushy.

4) Hook: Practically the whole movie is an excercize in goofball. Lost Boys ride skateboards... Lost Boys play basketball. Hook Lost Boy dinner scene puts Jar Jar Binks stepping in crap to shame.... and this is a movie I generally like.

5) War of the Worlds: Tom Cruise and his kids hide in an abandoned house suddenly all Hell breaks loose and the home they are hiding in is engulfed in flame... they wake up the next morning... everything's fine... just a plane crashing on top of them... no problem.

6) A.I.: The entire "monster truck/robot demolition derby" is almost painful to watch. It's really silly in the context of the rest of the film.

7) Always: The runaway dolly truck scene gets pretty silly.

8) 1941: Need I say more.

Mr. Spielberg is not immune to fits of silliness in his movies.

Yancy

ROTLA

Darth Vile said:
Didn't Indy swing from a vine in Raiders??? Is it not just an extension of that?

This isn't just swinging from a vine. It's turning into freakin' Tarzan and swinging vine to vine with no problem. Seriously, he's doing something that would take some training to learn and yet he picks it up like he was raised by the monkeys (not the Davy Jones kind of Monkees!).

Gallandro, point taken. I thought you were trying to take any blame from Lucas and pass it to Spielberg. Yes, Spielberg is definitely capable of going goofy as well. I was simply thinking that Lucas decided to get too kiddie with the new Star Wars films and it seemed to be carrying over to IJ4.

Avilos

I predicted the real ending just a week or two ago!
That Mutt would try to but on the hat BUT Indy takes it back
Its shows that some rumors were true....But we did not know the whole situation

M.C.

if you like the 50th period and sf movies of this time you will like indy 4 if you prefer the 30th serials and dont like " stargate" you wont like the last part of the film ! but it is a good film, "old making way" with lot of great moments !

God'sRadio

My concern is more something one of the negative reviews did note - that previously the physical effects have always been real, even if done by the stuntmen, not the actors. So someone really did crawl under the truck, swing from a "whip",etc. Feel a bit worried that things like the vines and more the fencing on the back of trucks looks inherently unconvincing because it isn't - in some sense even - "real" world. But maybe the mine chase is just an old-school version of this?