Your FAVORITE Indiana Jones scene in the entire series...

Which of these scenes are your favorite?

• Total voters

Vance

Mickiana said:
We do know Belloq was drunk on his family's label and trying to get into Marion's panties. Why zee Germans didn't notice, well, that's anyone's guess. Maybe it was Oktoberfest?

They weren't versed in the dig. If you look, there aren't THAT many Germans on the site. They probably just thought that it was just another set of diggers hired out and didn't think much more of it. I doubt that Belloq or Dietrich (if this was real, obviously) would have informed the guards or low-ranking officers around the DETAILS of the dig, after all.

Mickiana

Like Kong above says, the plot allows for those excellent scenes and images that ensue.

But, a thought did just occur. What if they were spotted early in the piece, say perhaps partly dug down to the stone roof of the WOTS? Belloq and the Germans rush up, detain Indy and all, and what ensues is a scene reminiscent of Indy being forced to face the challenges of the Temple in the Canyon of the Crescent Moon. Not that indy wasn't going to face the snakes, but he would have had the added pressure of Belloq and the Germans' expectations as well as the dangers in the Well. A few more dangers/traps could have been thrown into the plot and Indy and Marion would still have been sealed up for the story to continue as we know it.

This alternative could have satisfied those niggling issues of, "How on earth weren't they spotted earlier?!"

Mickiana

Vance said:
They weren't versed in the dig. If you look, there aren't THAT many Germans on the site. They probably just thought that it was just another set of diggers hired out and didn't think much more of it. I doubt that Belloq or Dietrich (if this was real, obviously) would have informed the guards or low-ranking officers around the DETAILS of the dig, after all.

I always thought there were plenty of Germans at Tanis. I got that idea from the movie. The dig site is enormous, as Sallah explained. And reading from Campbell Black's novelisation, which of course diverges in details throughout from the movie:

"It was elaborate, extensive; it was obvious, from the amount of equipment below, the numbers of workers, that the Fuhrer wanted the Ark badly. There were trucks, bulldozers, tents. There were hundreds of Arab diggers and, it seemed, just as many German supervisors, incongruous in their uniforms somehow, as if they deliberately sought discomfort out here in the desert."

Montana Smith

Mickiana said:
I always thought there were plenty of Germans at Tanis. I got that idea from the movie. The dig site is enormous, as Sallah explained. And reading from Campbell Black's novelisation, which of course diverges in details throughout from the movie:

"It was elaborate, extensive; it was obvious, from the amount of equipment below, the numbers of workers, that the Fuhrer wanted the Ark badly. There were trucks, bulldozers, tents. There were hundreds of Arab diggers and, it seemed, just as many German supervisors, incongruous in their uniforms somehow, as if they deliberately sought discomfort out here in the desert."

Lots of soldiers in the desert here. ;)

Behind-the-scenes-of-Raiders-of-the-Last-Ark-01.jpeg

Is there a higher resolution version of this? The one in the Complete Making of... book is no better. I wondered what figures he was using.

Vance

Montana Smith said:
Lots of soldiers in the desert here. ;)

Oddly, they don't sell large packs of 'Cairo Diggers' at the local Toys R Us. I don't think ALL of those figures are supposed to be soldiers - that would be a frackin' invasion force, to say nothing that there would be no diggers or workers on the site!

Really, my point was that it seemed like Indiana's company was just hiding in plain sight', as another anonymous digging crew in a huge area with lots and lots of digging crews and relatively few informed German overseers. Only Belloq, the only person intimately familiar with the entire dig, knew something was amiss, and it wasn't because he saw the fedora.

Montana Smith

Vance said:
Oddly, they don't sell large packs of 'Cairo Diggers' at the local Toys R Us. I don't think ALL of those figures are supposed to be soldiers - that would be a frackin' invasion force, to say nothing that there would be no diggers or workers on the site!

Aye, that was why I winked. ;)

A vast number of diggers, overseen by a few Germans is what we are shown.

213.jpg

230.jpg

Here we might be seeing almost all the Germans:

257.jpg

Barely a full Zug, which would usually be under either a Leutnant or Feldwebel (Senior Sergeant), yet here commanded by an Oberst and a Major.

We know they were a special detachment acting as site security until the moment the Ark was found, then as artefact protection.

The lights of the camp seen from the hill will largely be those of the fires and tents of the diggers. I'd imagine there'd be quite a bit of noise and light down there, which after the sun went down would have made the noise and torches on the hill less noticeable.

On the other hand maybe Belloq and Dietrich weren't concerned about digging into the night. If the natives wanted to work overtime, all the better for them.

Sea Monarch

While I find the tangent discussion this thread has developed into, interesting, and I may offer my thoughts on it at some point, I will, for now, opt to answer the question:
Colonel Corey said:
What is your favorite Indiana Jones scene of ALL TIME????? Just post the title, what happens, what characters are in the scene, and there you go! You have chosen your favorite scenes!

If you would like to choose a favorite scene from my choices, then please submit a scene in the poll above.

Glad it's not limited only to the one's listed in the poll, as my fave and a few others are missing from the options!

My favorite Indiana Jones scene of all time is easy to choose, (although there are many I love), because it's possibly my favotite scene of ANY movie of all time! It also contains my favorite shot from an Indiana Jones movie! Indiana Jones in the Map Room!

I love this scene best because it's visually, and musically, sublimely orchestrated! And It's truly EPIC! A highly symbolic, sumptuous, tour de-force for the eyes, and ears. For starters, Although the whole movie is a period piece, something about seeing Indy in those Egyptian garments gives the scene an even older "Old-World" feel, and makes that moment seem like it was set in another place and time from everything happening around it. The ancient setting, heiroglyphics and three dimensional model add to that older period feel. Also, Indy is physically isolated from everything that is erupting around him, and from everyone, even though Sallah is none too far away. But for the moment it's as if Indy is alone in another universe, with The Divine creator guiding him.

I also love this scene because there is a suspense to it. Indy has to discover the Ark before the Nazi's, and he has to seize the moment NOW, before he runs out of days, and time. Not only that, but he has to be as stealthy as possible, so as to not be noticed, "or this whole thing will be shot"! This is THE pivotal turning point in the movie. His success is hinged on this moment. It pretty much inferr's that Almighty God has led him through countless dangers, and trials to this moment in time, and that this providence has destined him to fulfill this mission. That he is meant to be used by God to thwart evil, and save the day! I read in an interview, that I believe was with Spielberg, where he described this shot as his Demille homage, and of it being influenced by him, both visually and musically in the cues John Williams evokes. I think that influence is undeniable, and yet Spielberg makes it his own, simultaneously!

This scene is also a drastic change in circumstances for Indiana, compared to what preceded, and what follows. Whereas, throughout the movie he has been struggling in his goals, against opposition, only to be, either robbed ambushed, outnumbered, or playing catch up, and barely able to stay one step ahead. In this moment he has a significant advantage against his adversary. He is ahead for once, and he has the answers he needs, and the resources, and the enemy doesn't have a clue! As the music builds and swells, we see that what the Almighty has kept hidden for centuries, is about to be revealed and entrusted in the care of Indiana Jones. And, perhaps for the first time, he sees this is bigger than just him vs. the Nazi's, and that he's not alone in his fight, but that God has his back!:D

I love how the light shining through the headpiece, illuminates everything in the Map Room, including Indy, and appears to cut a path through darkness, and mystery!:cool: My favorite shot, in the entire series, is the look of elation on Indiana Jones as this great, ancient secret is revealed! In this moment he probably knows the tide is turning for good, and everything is going to be all right! (y) :cool:

The music has a beautiful reverance, mystery, and urgency to it, and is the most powerful use of the Ark theme, in this movie. Also those special effects are dazzling, and amazing to watch, regardless of if they may be relatively simple compared to other effects in this, and other movies. It is my favorite use of light, that the maestro of light, Speilberg uses out of all his movies. Even more than famous shots in E.T., and Close Encounters.:cool:

Yeah, I've given this scene a lot of reflection over the years. Still exhillirating to watch, no matter how many times I've seen it!(y)

If I had a second choice it would possibly be "ride off into the sunset" scene from Last Crusade, or the Idol Temple Scene, or truck chase scene in Raiders. Umm.....also the streets of Cairo scene. You know what? I think I'm just gonna have to watch Raiders all over again!!!;) Indiana Jones, you're on the right track, and you're not in this alone! Shine on you crazy diamond!;)

Last edited:

S. Dakota Jones

My all-time favorite scene is the Truck chase, followed by the fight on the bridge and the flying wing(tied). Just behind them are the Idol Temple and then the Indy reveal shot by the minecart.

Spurlock

Montana Smith said:
That is a great sequence.

The sun going down with Indy presiding over the diggers:

231.jpg

What I really love about this shot/scene is the chanting of the workers while they mine. It still looks amazing, but without the workmen singing whatever they do (I think they sing anyway, that's how I have it in my head). It also provides a nice contrast in the next scene with near silence except the thunder.

As for my favorite scene of all time, I've got to say the bridge scene, with the Idol temple coming in at a screeching second(if it includes the credits showing too, because I love just the sounds of them walking and the birds). The Idol temple has got to be the best display of Indiana Jones, because it sums up ever single one of his adventures in a couple minutes. It has betrayal, 3rd party greed, shows off his intellect, puts him in near death scenarios and he never gets to keep what he rightfully deserves. That being said... wait... I love that scene more than the bridge scene, guess I wasted my vote :p

Montana Smith

Mickiana said:
Good choice. Listen to your elders.

A word from the wise. Always listen to your uncle Mick! (y)

Favourite scene of modern times is one that combines suspense with humour.

Indy making room in the fridge, then having trouble closing the door.

084.jpg

INT KITCHEN DUSK

Indy runs into the kitchen and throws open the old-style refrigerator.

VOICE (O.S.)

T-minus ten seconds and counting.

Indy yanks everything out of the fridge, shelves and all.

VOICE (O.S.) (cont?d)

T-minus five seconds and counting.

Indy jumps into the fridge and SLAMS the door --

VOICE (O.S.) (cont?d)

Four.

-- but the door bounces open, cans are blocking it --

VOICE (O.S.) (cont?d)

Three.

-- he cleans the rest of the things out --

VOICE (O.S.) (cont?d)

Two.

-- and SLAMS the door. As it closes a little metal plate on the corner of the door pops into focus, it reads --

VOICE (O.S.) (cont?d)

One.

-- ?LEAD-LINED FOR SUPERIOR INSULATION!?

The screen turns white.

Sea Monarch

RKORadio said:
"Let it go, Indiana. Let it go. "

That is indeed, one of THE greatest moments, in a series full of great moments! Glad you reminded us of it! ;)

Mickiana said:
I first became an uncle at the age of 13, 32 years ago.

Well, at least you're not your own Grandpa! ;) :D

Mickiana

Sea Monarch said:
Well, at least you're not your own Grandpa! ;) :D

I have to admit I am not sure what that means. Is it some type of a saying? I will google it after this, otherwise I await your response.

NB I did google it and there are discussions on time travel paradoxes as well discussions on the effects of reintermarrying within families, but still nothing definitive. It's up to you now Sea Monarch.

Last edited:

Sea Monarch

Mickiana said:
I have to admit I am not sure what that means. Is it some type of a saying? I will google it after this, otherwise I await your response.

NB I did google it and there are discussions on time travel paradoxes as well discussions on the effects of reintermarrying within families, but still nothing definitive. It's up to you now Sea Monarch.

Totally understandable, that this causes head scratching. I dropped that phrase, because it seems to be the strangest case scenario, of strange familial relations, and seemed perfect in making your becoming an Uncle at the tender age of 13, seem not so uncommon. Although being a young Aunt or Uncle happens probably more than people think, it's not usually the norm.

First time I ever heard the phrase, was in a song that Tom Arnold's character Stanley Stupid sings in John Landis's "The Stupids", (you asked). The scene was used in the trailers, and It's actually quite hilarious. It's a lighthearted, silly family comedy. Maybe not everybody's cup of tea, but if you like John Landis comedies (Blues Brothers, Spies Like Us, Oscar), check it out. I heard it was based on a children's book. Christopher Lee as The Evil Mr. Sender, is worth the viewing alone. :D Not sure, but it may have been a folk comedy song before this movie was ever made. I know Bluegrass bands have been known to sing it, including comedian Steve Martin's band, I believe.

The phrase is also said by the character Frye, in a time travel Futurama episode, but his dilemma is due to messed up um, ...choices made causing time/space paradox. on the other hand, Tom Arnold comes to it rather innocently enough. Though there's a lot of bread crumbs to follow in the song, in the case of Stanley it seems to be possible, and true. :D

On the subject of young Uncle's, thought it was a funny reveal in rom-com You've Got Mail, when Meg Ryan finds out that the little girl with Tom Hanks is his Aunt, and the even younger boy, is his Brother. To which Hanks quips, "We are an American family."

There you have it. At least you're not.... Hahaha! Watch the song if you can. It's quite humorous. ;)

Last edited:

Mickiana

Listened to the song on Youtube. It is very clever. My mind was whiplashing back and forth unable to keep up with the twisting of relationships in the lyrics. One thought I had while listening was to draw the family tree he is singing about but I'm afraid it would end up looking like einsteinian formula filling a blackboard!

Sea Monarch

Mickiana said:
Listened to the song on Youtube. It is very clever. My mind was whiplashing back and forth unable to keep up with the twisting of relationships in the lyrics. One thought I had while listening was to draw the family tree he is singing about but I'm afraid it would end up looking like einsteinian formula filling a blackboard!

Exaaactly! I thought about doing the family tree thing too, just to visually see how it plays out. But, I know it would just boggle the mind, trying to figure out where the McNuggets fit back in the chicken! Haha!

JurassicPrince

Honestly, I'm just amazed at how many wonderful scenes are in Raiders. Not to mention, how it moves from scene to scene.

I think though, my favorite has to be the scene at Marion's bar. It's the atmosphere, the lighting, the dialogue... all culminating in that shootout. It's perfect.

Montana Smith said:

But speaking of this thread, I love how people like Spurlock have pointed out what a perfect shot and sequence this is.